Openserve 500Mbps speedtest (different ISPs)

ShadowR

Hi peeps. So I have picked up something interesting on my 500Mbps Openserve line. I am currently with Vox and getting the below speed.

Vox Telecom

Vox 500Mbps test.png

Afrihost

Afrihost 500Mbps test.png

I have raised this with Vox who will be investigating after a port reset did not resolve the issue. Something interesting to note is that I was informed that the Openserve 500Mbps line actually has a total throughput of 550Mbps of which 20Mbps falls away due to packet acknowledgment etc giving the client a total speed of 530Mbs. This makes sense as that is exactly what I am getting from Afrihost.

My request from you guys. Can those of you on the Openserve network with a 500Mbps line please post your speed tests. I want to see what the different ISPs are getting. Make sure your network is not being utilized when doing the test. Thanks and cheers.

Cactus

Expert Member
I suspect that Vox lits the account to 500Mbit which is why you get ~480, whereas other ISPs probably don't. Cool Ideas also gets around ~530

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
You can't complain to Vox, You're getting what you pay for? 500 - 20 (20Mbps falls away due to packet acknowledgment etc that you speak of) :unsure:

ShadowR

You can't complain to Vox, You're getting what you pay for? 500 - 20 (20Mbps falls away due to packet acknowledgment etc that you speak of) :unsure:
I mos't definitely can complain. If other ISPs are getting 50Mbps more I expect the same :D This isn't some 1-5Mbps difference. It's literally 50Mbps. Also I feel that the speed loss due to package acknowledment should not be endured by the client but should be compensated for by the provider which is exactly what Openserve did now with their 500Mbps package. Would be great if they did this with all of their packages.

This is exactly what i've seen on the Vumatel network. I might be wrong but friends of mine on Vumatel always get just a bit over their package speed. I don't really want to debate this, I'm just interested in what other ISPs are doing.

ShadowR

I suspect that Vox lits the account to 500Mbit which is why you get ~480, whereas other ISPs probably don't. Cool Ideas also gets around ~530
My thoughts too. The Vox dude says they set it to 512Mbps. Will update the thread when I get more info from them.

DYreX146

Definitely Vox capping the account speed, even Afrihost does this on their Openserve packages below 500Mbps. I'm on Cool Ideas on the 200Mbps Openserve package and they don't cap their accounts at line speed so I get a bit extra.

12570179596.png

Jaseyyxx

I mos't definitely can complain. If other ISPs are getting 50Mbps more I expect the same :D This isn't some 1-5Mbps difference. It's literally 50Mbps. Also I feel that the speed loss due to package acknowledment should not be endured by the client but should be compensated for by the provider which is exactly what Openserve did now with their 500Mbps package. Would be great if they did this with all of their packages.

This is exactly what i've seen on the Vumatel network. I might be wrong but friends of mine on Vumatel always get just a bit over their package speed. I don't really want to debate this, I'm just interested in what other ISPs are doing.
Vox caps their PPPoE sessions to the exact line speed of the client, they didnt account for overheads

coolito

I would really like to know what you guys actually do with half a gig line. I am using a 100Mbps line but for what I do a 25Mbps line would suffice.

Just curious.
4k streaming, online gaming . Really interested in knowing.

I would really like to know what you guys actually do with half a gig line. I am using a 100Mbps line but for what I do a 25Mbps line would suffice.

Just curious.

I use it mainly for the better upload speed to use Google drive.

Mzezman

Expert Member

Just curious.
Quicker uploads and downloads for work, Wife also WFH and they do lots of data transmission... no need to employ queues and QoS while the kids are streaming 4k. Truth be told its overkill, 200 would be perfect but the price differential is relatively minimal

mrlgm007

Expert Member
Upgraded to 500 down and 250 up with axxess and Openserve on Friday

See attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220109-120658_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg
    Screenshot_20220109-120658_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Yuu

blunt

Expert Member
When I tried 500 for a month on OS/AH I got the same as you OP (your AH test).

Way more than I'll need so I'm back to 25/25 cos I'm an el-cheapo, and honestly haven't had any issues with 25 other than when Im downloading a big OS update its slower than what I'm used to (was usually on 100).

chrisc

Honorary Master
A CCTV system I installed has a 100/100 line via Vumatel for remote access

About twice a month, I have to search for recorded scenes where people drive into the gate or steal washing. Then it seems to go at a snails pace.

Visiting the site, I see 23 mbps down and 1.09 mbps up.

The ISP blame Vumatel, Vumatel say any query must come from the ISP

• Sad
Reactions: Yuu