Openweb SPAM

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
I am sick of all the openweb 'please pay your account' emails. They keep coming despite not having an account with them:
Dear OpenWebbers!

This is a payment reminder sent to ALL profile holders.

If you do not have an active account, have paid, or are on debit order, you may ignore this email.

If you have not yet made payment for June's access, kindly do so before Saturday, 31 May 2008 at 17:00.

Herewith our banking details:

insert banking details here

Email proof of payment to xxx@xx.co.za

We trust you will have an EXCELLENT weekend!

Kind regards
OpenWeb Accounts
You guys should know better! Surely one doesn't have to ask you to add an 'opt out' feature to the email... why the 'donotreply@openweb.co.za' reply address? To protect yourself from spam? it's really poor practice anywhere in the world... first world or not! Asking me to ignore the mail is just pathetic.

And DON'T ask me to go hunting for your contact details or ask me to incur phone call costs to sort it out. Yes, I see the 'xxx@xxx.co.za' address but I think it's common courtesy of you to take the effort to remove me from your list when I am not a client.

Last edited:

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Hi

Kindly email support@openweb.co.za with your name and surname, and we will close your profile with us.

Kind regards
MrBEEP

Thanks Keoma, but why not just remove all your dead wood from your system... or can't you tell who is and isn't a subscriber? And please add an 'opt out' link to the mail so that people don't have to go through this... it will seriously boost people's opinions of OW.

I am an ad-hock user and occasionally get a local only IS account, I know that the mails will be back when I do the next once off account... it's annoying!

MrBEEP

Openweb Representative
Company Rep
Hey Bradbow

We will defenitely add an opt-out facility on mails from next month.

At the moment, a profile is created, and reminder mails are sent to all active profile holders.

In the future, you will automatically be opted out from reminder mails if you do not have an active profile.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards
MrBEEP

Thanks Keoma, but why not just remove all your dead wood from your system... or can't you tell who is and isn't a subscriber? And please add an 'opt out' link to the mail so that people don't have to go through this... it will seriously boost people's opinions of OW.

I am an ad-hock user and occasionally get a local only IS account, I know that the mails will be back when I do the next once off account... it's annoying!

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Awesome... and kudos for doing something instead of running me down... it's unusual these days ;)
Openweb FTW.
A bad thread becomes a good thread :)

telkomsuig

Expert Member
Ha I received these e-mails/invoices for 5 months after being "banned for life" from Openweb :)

Vroom

After the whole uncapped express debacle when it went to ****, i cancelled my account from openweb.

They sent spam for ages after that. I told them to remove me from their mailing list. They didnt.

They kept sending me invoices for the account (which is R999pm).

Every time i tell them to remove me they would reply in a friendly fashoin and say that i was removed but stil continued to send me invoices.

One night (whilst drunk) i sent a pretty harsh email to them with generous use of the P and F words. Then it stopped.

I think they have 2 levels of mailserver removal. 1-FakeRemoval 2-LegalThreat

headstrong

Expert Member
One night (whilst drunk) i sent a pretty harsh email to them with generous use of the P and F words. Then it stopped.

I think they have 2 levels of mailserver removal. 1-FakeRemoval 2-LegalThreat

haha thats hilarious!

Tarantula

I dont really see what the big deal is. Just delete the 1 mail you receive a month. I can't see this being a major priority at OW.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
Lol - so you don't see the benefit to openweb to clean up their mailing system? Not everyone appreciates ads in their email without an option to be removed... it stinks - and ISP's should know better... and as for not being priority - read again, it seems they are taking it seriously.

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
SICK OF OPENWEB SPAM!!!!!!!

Hey Tomatos

We will defenitely add an opt-out facility on mails from next month.

At the moment, a profile is created, and reminder mails are sent to all active profile holders.

In the future, you will automatically be opted out from reminder mails if you do not have an active profile.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards
MrBEEP

My paitence is FINISHED... no more Mr Nice Guy... where can I report Openweb for spamming me? I am resurrecting this thread because suddenly, after many moons (6 months), I am getting SPAM from openweb advertising uncapped specials.

This is totally unprofessional and unethical and I seriously recommend no-one never sign up for anything with Openweb unless you plan on hearing from them long after parting. If you absolutely have to deal with them then just open a new gmail account specially for openweb... seriously...

So Keoma, what happenet to your promise above of an 'OPT OUT' in the commercial emails?
OpenWeb System Message:

22/11/2008 12:22 PM
Dear OpenWebbersI have created the most exciting Uncapped ADSL special for the rest of November for you!Details:* 512k Uncapped Express
ADSL* Lasts from day of purchase until 30 November 2008* Non
renewable* P2P and torrents allowed* Threshold limit applies, but is removed from Monday to Friday between 20:00 and 08:00am and all weekend long. (This means during these times you will get the full 512k speed even if you have reached your threshold limit!)* No
hardcapPrice: R399 incl VATTo order, kindly email admin@openweb.co.zaHappy downloading!Keoma WrightFounderOpenWeb.co.za

MrBEEP

Openweb Representative
Company Rep
Hi tomatosarefruit

Thank you for your thread.

Kindly mail me with your email address: mrbeep@openweb.co.za I will make sure you do not receive these announcements again.

The system is suppose to auto add it at the end of the mail, but for some reason it's misbehaving. I will give it a spank, and sort it out. My apologies.

For future reference, to opt out of an OpenWeb email, kindly email the word 'Opt-Out' to admin@openweb.co.za You will be promptly removed.

Have a GREAT OpenWeb day!

Kind regards
MrBEEP

My paitence is FINISHED... no more Mr Nice Guy... where can I report Openweb for spamming me? I am resurrecting this thread because suddenly, after many moons (6 months), I am getting SPAM from openweb advertising uncapped specials.

This is totally unprofessional and unethical and I seriously recommend no-one never sign up for anything with Openweb unless you plan on hearing from them long after parting. If you absolutely have to deal with them then just open a new gmail account specially for openweb... seriously...

So Keoma, what happenet to your promise above of an 'OPT OUT' in the commercial emails?