Order cheaper GPU/CPU from USA?

Fr3d

So I'm looking to upgrade my current system to an i7 6700k, GTX 1070 build. As you all know it is very expensive to do this in SA.. The best price I could find was from Wootware and it was for around R14600.00 for the card and the processor, which is a lot of money. To compare I looked up the exact same parts on Amazon and found them for around $790, which equates to R11018.00 at the time of writing this post.

My question is thus: Would it be wise to use a mail forwarding service such as Postbox-Courier.com to ship the package to me in SA? The shipping with customs etc. will cost around $30. That is still way cheaper than buying directly in SA. My concerns are mostly about the warranty and if the parts will work fine in SA.

Thank you in advance

agentrfr

Executive Member
The shipping with customs etc. will cost around $30.

Thank you in advance

Not a chance. You need to pay vat and duties (1.14*1.1=1.254 or 25.4% on item value minimum), so at least 201USD customs plus w/e for shipping.

That's a total price without shipping for 990.66 USD, or R13 816.57, so you're only saving R800 (which is about what it costs to ship anyway)

ponder

Honorary Master
Do you intend overclocking the 6700k as you can get a new 6700 for R3800 on carbonite.

The parts will work fine in SA, CPUs don't really die so I would not worry about warranty on those. GPUs would be a schlep & expensive to ship back and forth if something goes wrong. Your shipping & customs is not going to be $30.

I'm wondering what would happen if you took a imported Gigabyte 1070 to Rectron seeing as they will usually take in products not supplied by themselves but charge you a handling fee.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Do you intend overclocking the 6700k as you can get a new 6700 for R3800 on carbonite.

The parts will work fine in SA, CPUs don't really die so I would not worry about warranty on those. GPUs would be a schlep & expensive to ship back and forth if something goes wrong. Your shipping & customs is not going to be $30.

I'm wondering what would happen if you took a imported Gigabyte 1070 to Rectron seeing as they will usually take in products not supplied by themselves but charge you a handling fee.

I7-6700 can also overclock ,just need to run a older bios that support it . Intel blocked it later on.

No duties for computer parts but VAT on $790 will be around R1700 then add in your $30 shipping and you're looking at around R13200 total... That's assuming the rate doesn't go tits up before it hits customs.

Is the stress and warranty issues really worth R1400 or so?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Personally I found in 80% - 90% of cases almost any imported item isn't really worth the few rands you are saving, and the only time something is really worth importing, is if you can't at all source it locally. Recheck your $30 shipping cost, with shipping, customs etc, $30 sounds too good to be true, remember to add 14% VAT to your calculations.
In the end you'll find that the saving is probably under R1000 if not less, then you'll have to ask yourself is it really worthit in terms of warranty issues, lead time etc?