Paper based system to web based system for data collection

Hackson

Hi. I am going to be leading a team of 5 fresh from university graduates in the development of a web system from a paper based system. Are the following technologies which I have decided to go with the best? Also I am choosing these because they are the ones that we used at varsity.

Front-end: Bootstrap template with html, css and js fro animations
Back-end/Server-side: C# so we will end up with asp pages
Database: MS-SQL through sql-server say 2014

Thanks
/Noob-alert:D

envo

Expert Member
You can choose anything you want. Usually it boils down to the client's infrastructure. For example, one of my clients can't run MS SQL because the license cost is up to R150k easy. My other client doesn't run windows. And the other one has all the licenses, but doesn't run the latest version of IE and refuse to deploy Firefox and Chrome to their users.

If, whatever you are attempting to do, doesn't fit into the current infrastructure of what your client has, and will add additional (exorbitant) costs, they will most likely not adopt the system.

"web system from a paper based system"

Just say "data capturing system with web technologies"

shauntir

/snip

Just say "data capturing system with web technologies"

Nearly 80% of all "web systems" out there are data capturing systems ;)

@OP, with regards to your technology stack, I'd also first evaluate the total cost of maintaining your system before embarking. You also want to define requirements before choosing a stack.

Perhaps the system is better off in a different tech stack once scope is defined.

envo

Expert Member
Nearly 80% of all "web systems" out there are data capturing systems ;)

@OP, with regards to your technology stack, I'd also first evaluate the total cost of maintaining your system before embarking. You also want to define requirements before choosing a stack.

Perhaps the system is better off in a different tech stack once scope is defined.

lol yup. Glorified data capturing systems.

+1 on cost to maintain. I'd definitely consider .NET 5 and C# with MySQL on linux since MS is moving to platform independent tech, that is, if you don't want to learn a new programming language

Hackson

lol yup. Glorified data capturing systems.

+1 on cost to maintain. I'd definitely consider .NET 5 and C# with MySQL on linux since MS is moving to platform independent tech, that is, if you don't want to learn a new programming language

The whole thing with dot net coming to Linux (and even mac) is interesting for my case. Does that mean it will be cheaper to license the tech? (read: free). Thanks for the heads up about doing a full analysis of the tools with respect to the system. Much appreciated.

CheekyC

Another consideration is the volume of data captured and the speed at which it needs to be done. I have an ERP type app that sees high volume use when capturing orders etc. Browser based screens are to slow for this. We have deployed the app on the server thru RDP and it is blazingly fast, while still giving rich UX.

me_

The whole thing with dot net coming to Linux (and even mac) is interesting for my case. Does that mean it will be cheaper to license the tech? (read: free). Thanks for the heads up about doing a full analysis of the tools with respect to the system. Much appreciated.

.NET is free... it always has been. Visual Studio is paid for, but there have been free express versions available for ages. You could always use an open source development studio like MonoDevelop which has always been free.

me_

I think we need a lot more detail before we can really comment on the technology being right.
Using something you are familiar with is definitely a big plus, but as others have mentioned, there could be licensing implications.

- Are you developing this for a client or for yourselves?
- Is the plan for this to be cloud based or run on premise?
- How intensive is the data capture? (as per CheekyC, it's hard to beat the efficiency of a thick client)
- How much data do you need to store (SQL Express is free and can run databases up to 10GB).

If you're developing for a client on-premise, you will need to take guidance from the client.

mister

Executive Member

DRou

Iirc you can look at BizSpark to save on costs of the technologies because they offer huge discounts for MS-related software but only for a few years.

Good luck at managing 5 developers for a starting project, that might be a challenge.

CheekyC

Good luck at managing 5 developers for a starting project, that might be a challenge.

this... if you cannot provide clear direction you are gonna battle to get going. the new grads do not have experience to bring to the party

Hackson

I think we need a lot more detail before we can really comment on the technology being right.
Using something you are familiar with is definitely a big plus, but as others have mentioned, there could be licensing implications.

- Are you developing this for a client or for yourselves?
- Is the plan for this to be cloud based or run on premise?
- How intensive is the data capture? (as per CheekyC, it's hard to beat the efficiency of a thick client)
- How much data do you need to store (SQL Express is free and can run databases up to 10GB).

If you're developing for a client on-premise, you will need to take guidance from the client.

We are developing for a client and for now we are just developing a subsystem to show that we will be able to do this. So what we are looking at is a way to load data from q db (textual data) edit and send it back. Cloud based or on premise: I guess I'd have to say cloud based as someone wanting to interaction with the system will make use of a browser via login. Data capturing intensity: Not very intense. We are looking at 5 people to use the system a day for about 1 hour each. Size of data: We will store some HQ images in binary format but most data will be text. Sorry for the poor formatting of this response. I'm using Spartan on my wp10 device and hitting enter crashes this thing.

Hackson

So with that can assume that you are saying we should stick to c# which we know and not even try put PHP which I hear is a pain when you are used to MS stuff and their IDE and the clear debug info they give? Thanks.

animal531

Expert Member
It really all boils down to what the project is for, the timeframes etc. If it's a commercial project with tight deadlines (or with terrible developers) I would suggest to keep your technology as simple and uniform as possible. For example stick to C#/ASP.NET with a DB in the background, don't mix in too many technologies if you don't have to. If you have more time or want it to act as a learning experience (and the developers are up for it), then maybe work in 1-2 other technologies along the line.

For the DB it boils down to what the collected data will look like, how it'll be stored and what you're going to do with it.
Do you want full relational or NoSQL key/value? Will it be large volumes or small? Will it be accessed/updated a lot? What about backups?

Cloud vs Onsite: Basically this boils down to whether the system will be installed on their servers. a) Do they have servers, b) That are compatible with your tools/software, c) Will pay the costs for e.g. MSSQL. If not then it depends whether you have the capability (if you do then you can sell it as SaaS or as a once off). If not then you can go full cloud and use Amazon etc.

Does it need to be a web app? If they're collecting data internally then it could be a Windows app, which is a lot faster and easier to develop...it all depends on how they're going to be using it.

mister

Executive Member
We are developing for a client

Iirc you can look at BizSpark to save on costs of the technologies because they offer huge discounts for MS-related software but only for a few years. Good luck at managing 5 developers for a starting project, that might be a challenge.

They are contracting and not an ISV, so they don't qualify for BizSpark

bekdik

Honorary Master
You need to carry out a detailed system requirements analysis before doing anything else. Until you have a very good idea as to where you are going you cannot best choose how to get there ...

scudsucker

Executive Member
You need to carry out a detailed system requirements analysis before doing anything else. Until you have a very good idea as to where you are going you cannot best choose how to get there ...

Ja. You are a noob. You are supervising noobs.

Get your system requirements nailed down. Do a full tech spec. Stick to the spec tightly.

Do not allow youthful enthusiasm to allow you to over-deliver in some areas while neglecting other areas.

Also remember: nothing is "simple".

Every programming problem is complex, in that you need to focus on both what should happen when things go right, but more importantly for usability, how your code handles it when things go wrong.

Also: treat all users as idiots. Your UX needs to be easy enough that your granny could interact with your site. If she can't... then tannie in Accounts who has to use the thing won't be able to either.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
I'll be that guy and say that there are a few solutions that are out there that do exactly what you want. I'm in the research field and I have a plenty to choose from

1)Datafax, and whatever their new system is called now, takes your paper and converts it into digital. Not a great system for controlling logic patterns though

2)Mobenzi. Digital data capture system that has amazing logic control. Runs off phone/tablet apps

Am I missing a core understanding of what you are doing?