Please Rate Telkom

Rate Telkom, based on value-for-money, network quality, and general service satisfaction.

• Excellent

Votes: 70 19.9%
  • Good

Votes: 127 36.1%
  • Average

Votes: 71 20.2%
  • Poor

Votes: 35 9.9%
  • Pathetic

Votes: 49 13.9%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We are doing a forum survey on how happy subscribers are with their ISP, and it will be great if you can rate Telkom based on value-for-money, network quality, and general service satisfaction.

Also please tell us what Telkom does well, and where they can improve, by positing in this thread.

Slamz

I have a Telkom Sim, Landline phone and 10mb adsl with uncapped internet from Telkom.

My adsl and internet just works, truth be told, i may have a problem with my line once a yr, but a phone call to Telkom fixes it within the day. My internet is up 99.99% of the time, 1% for loadshedding... i only stream content at home, movies, series, music and there is never a lag or buffer issue unless its on the other side, plus the price im paying for all of this is way cheaper than having my line and isp separate... i actually saved R300 bundling the whole deal with Telkom...

I'll give Telkom an A rating for service, all in all quiet satisfied with my product and service from them, if i have any issues, its resolved over the phone, glad i switched to them 2 years ago

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Their network works - but trying to get anything done besides using what you have is always a mission.

Paul Bedford

I have a Telkom Sim, Landline phone and 10mb adsl with uncapped internet from Telkom.

My adsl and internet just works, truth be told, i may have a problem with my line once a yr, but a phone call to Telkom fixes it within the day. My internet is up 99.99% of the time, 1% for loadshedding... i only stream content at home, movies, series, music and there is never a lag or buffer issue unless its on the other side, plus the price im paying for all of this is way cheaper than having my line and isp separate... i actually saved R300 bundling the whole deal with Telkom...

I'll give Telkom an A rating for service, all in all quiet satisfied with my product and service from them, if i have any issues, its resolved over the phone, glad i switched to them 2 years ago
My experience is pretty much exactly the same barring one occasion where they sent a technician who had no clue what he was doing to try to fix the fault on the line. He disappeared without fixing anything, but before I could phone them the next morning to bitch and moan, another techie arrived and had everything sorted in about 45 minutes. I'll stay with them until someone puts fibre in my area.

I have a 4mb Adsl and have tried to upgrade to a 10Mb for over 6 months , using what you have does work but trying to get any value add is a mission. Also not sure about the usage policy as bandwidth is always a problem towards the end of each month. They could do better with telephone support as well. I have had the worst experience with the telkom mobile service as I had three contracts which turned out to be the worst decision I have made in terms of comms.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
ADSL, the tried, and trusted means of getting online. More reliable than African FTTH crap.
Aside from their failing billing and customer support (which hopefully will come right eventually), their network is stable.

walterl

Expert Member
Their service is very poor, I've still got an ongoing dispute with them from an account that I closed on 21 September 2017, so just for that I rate them as pathetic. In my household do have 3 cellphone contracts, ADSL and LTE with them currently.

Leisure Larry

Moved to a new place. No copper available in this area. Applied 3 times @ the call centre for a fixed line look a like. Telkom failed hopelessly to supply. On the 3rd attempt, they delivered only a sim card.
4th attempt, went into a physical store, filled in every possible document they needed, handed me a sim card and asked to wait. Received sms to say they are working on it. Now 4 months later, zilch, nix, nada. After reading about all the contract issues at Telkom, i'm not bothered any longer.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
There are two issues I wish Telkom would address.
First, the almost complete lack of REAL customer support, especially regarding access to TECHNICAL SUPPORT for advanced customers.
Second, SORT out the BSS issues regarding applications, cancellations, and changes to subscriptions!

francoistk

Support is mostly good as long as the fault is simple.
Struggled about 2 weeks once to get a person which could fix the issue with an ADSL line after all the equipment in the exchange was replaced.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
20/10 uncapped Openserve fibre

Everything is okish except the pricing which is ridiculous.

Reliability 8.5/10
Speed 8.5/10
Backup Services 5.5/10
Price 1/10

ZAP_Tech

I have been with Telkom since they 1mb/s became 4 mb/s line, they were ISP of choice back then and still are, i have next to issues get full 10mb/s did have a few problems over the years but nothing that they couldn't fix from ageing copper connections to my home to a port blowing out at the DSLAM. Everything is always resolved in a few days, my last issues was hardware related and as soon as i changed my modem everything work like normal.

I do have a back up account with VOX, for those days when telkom do go down but it has been few and far between or for when I hit the threshold of my uncapped account which seems to me a lot more recently.

Deanos

I have 4 mobile lines and 20mb uncapped fibre with Telkom.
Going on 2 years with them and very happy with the fiber. Always up. Never slow. And just works. Only time it has ever been down is when there was a finer break a while back. Oh and loadshedding, but a small ups keeps the interwebs going...

Only issue I have with Telkom is their call centre. Sorry to say but their staff are clueless and have no idea on fault finding or helping with a problem. Seams like they have a problem flowchart that they follow everytime and give the same answers everytime.
If they had more competent staff on the other side of the phone, they would be the best ISP in the country.
Ratings:
Products: 10/10
Service and uptime: 9/10
Mobile pricing: 10/10
Fibre pricing: 5/10
Call centre: 3/10

TheSani

I find that Telkom's LTE service is average at best! I experience spikes in performance and this causes buffering when streaming! I also get times when the service goes down for brief moments. I am in the Tokai, Cape Town area.
It also seems that this happens more often when the weather is bad - re wind and rain.

Because of that I am now changing to fibre - hoping for a more consistent connection!

Billy

Expert Member
I have just switched to Fibre 10mb from ADSL 4mb. Telkom switched off the ADSL 4 days before installing the fibre. I lodged a fault, and eventually found out that the ADSL was switched off. Telkom helpline was actually very efficient and helpful. The Technician who installed the line was outstanding. Neat installation and made sure that everything was working before he left. I was also surprised that the WiFi extender and Android box were delivered by courier a few days later, as promised. In all a very pleasing upgrade. The Cherry on top is that I get higher speeds, free phone calls and a lower overall bill. Win, win, win!. If I could complain about anything, it is that I do not think that the Telkom admin systems seem to be integrated. They have good employees let down by poor systems.

pezulu

Expert Member
I would give Telkom an "excellent" rating, if not for the fact that our whole area has been moved over to Fibre, apart from the complex we reside in.
All the infrastructure necessary has been installed, yet the complex needs to be signed off, to allow the Fibre to go live. This has not happened.
Visiting a Telkom store to try and get information is useless, as they simply dial 10213, and let me speak to the call centre agent. I could have done that from the comfort of my office chair.
There is apparently no way whereby we can find out what the time frame is for our complex to be signed off. The Technical division can't be reached, and we have to rely on "someone" doing "something" before we can be switched from ADSL to Fibre.

Since having my initial LTE product to my upgrade and change to ADSL, the service I have experienced has been top notch.
What does require a change is when a fault is logged, there is no update process or TAT given as to how long before the fault is corrected. Also, if there is a general fault there should be some sort of notification sent out to people in that area that there is a fault so we do not all log new faults. This will make there lifes easier as well.