polka.co.za

techwrite

Hello
Does anyone know the status of polka.co.za? It's returning a 504 error and downdetector indicates it IS down but for an unspecified time. A friend of mine hosts his website there and has noticed his site has been down for a month. However, it wasn't important enough to him at the time to follow up. It appears that polka is registered to MWeb.

Any information or ideas on how I can follow this up?

Thank you.

techwrite

PS: I did a tracert command and it said it couldn't resolve target system name. I did do a tacert on google first and that works.

envo

Expert Member
The domain registrant email says "creditors@mweb.com" so I'm assuming whoever owned Polka had their domain seized for non-payment

genetic

Honorary Master
Polka was probably one of the worst ISP's that every existed.

envo

Expert Member
Isn't polka an MWEB site? Wayback When Machine shows the last crawl in 2016 that showed the 500 error, previous ones redirected to MWEB... your friend's site has been offline for over a year?

genetic

Honorary Master
Isn't polka an MWEB site? Wayback When Machine shows the last crawl in 2016 that showed the 500 error, previous ones redirected to MWEB... your friend's site has been offline for over a year?
Polka was a low cost division of Mweb. They folded a few years ago already.

envo

Expert Member
Polka was a low cost division of Mweb. They folded a few years ago already.
In which case I'm wondering why the OP's friend is only noticing his website is down now... after almost 2 years?

envo

Expert Member
Correct, Polka was an "entry-level" product offering company (division) of M-Web.
you added on information that was already mentioned by the guy you quoted. Are you bored at work or something?