Porting Query

mrmrrza

Hi Everyone,

Might have ended up delaying my S2!!

What I did as my VC contract with one of their dealers was coming to an end so I had the contract moved to prepaid so I could shop around and take my time as I was very busy. Now I want to sign up with the same dealer for an mtn contract, but am told I have to wait 2 months before it can be ported.

Surely a change to prepaid is a migration and not classified as a port?

Insight...?

ajax

Executive Member
Sounds like nonsens. I converted my MTN contract to prepaid and ported the next day to Cell C.

isie

Honorary Master
Hi Everyone,

Might have ended up delaying my S2!!

What I did as my VC contract with one of their dealers was coming to an end so I had the contract moved to prepaid so I could shop around and take my time as I was very busy. Now I want to sign up with the same dealer for an mtn contract, but am told I have to wait 2 months before it can be ported.

Surely a change to prepaid is a migration and not classified as a port?

Insight...?
porting shouldn't take longer then a couple of days (whether from prepaid to contract or vice versa or between networks) unless your contract is not up then you have to wait

mrmrrza

Sounds like nonsens. I converted my MTN contract to prepaid and ported the next day to Cell C.

I hope so... anyone else? Wonder if one can fight the networks, seems anti-competitive to me (but I suppose some prepaid subscribers would abuse it)

porting shouldn't take longer then a couple of days (whether from prepaid to contract or vice versa or between networks) unless your contract is not up then you have to wait

I don't think that we are on the same page:
It was moved to prepaid at the end of the contract, but now I am told that the change to prepaid was a "port" and I may not port to a contract (to whatever network) for 2 months?

isie

Honorary Master
I hope so... anyone else? Wonder if one can fight the networks, seems anti-competitive to me (but I suppose some prepaid subscribers would abuse it)

I don't think that we are on the same page:
It was moved to prepaid at the end of the contract, but now I am told that the change to prepaid was a "port" and I may not port to a contract (to whatever network) for 2 months?

yep we are. I did the same as you planed, i changed my virgin mobile number to prepaid, (so i could look around for a good deal) and a few days later i ported to a mtn contract, changing from contract to prepaid on the same network is not considered a port, who ever told you that is clearly misinformed

ajax

Executive Member
Just go to a different dealer, but preferably not a 3rd party like Autopage or Nashua.

Base122

I went from Vodacom contract to prepaid and then ported to Cell C prepaid using the SMS #portme# method described on the back of their starter pack. No 2 month nonsense.

The port process took about 5 hours one Sunday afternoon.
Quick and painless...

mrmrrza

yep we are. I did the same as you planed, i changed my virgin mobile number to prepaid, (so i could look around for a good deal) and a few days later i ported to a mtn contract, changing from contract to prepaid on the same network is not considered a port, who ever told you that is clearly misinformed

Cool, wasn't too sure. I will check with someone else working there tomorrow... I dont feel like going through all the admin again to move to say mtnsp - the samsung s2 deal from nashua at the moment is identical. Oh and the SE neo deal seems very very cheap: SE neo on anytime100 for R140pm?

The contract was in a company name (and I want to keep it that way) surely if I do something like the cellc prepaid port, it will get refused for information mismatch (name wouldnt be the same)?

isie

Honorary Master
The contract was in a company name (and I want to keep it that way) surely if I do something like the cellc prepaid port, it will get refused for information mismatch (name wouldnt be the same)?
not sure about that, nd im just making a guess here - if you still want it on the companies name, wouldn't the company (or rep of the company at least) have to do all the documents etc?