Powerline networking for fiber?

webtailor

Not a fan of PowerLine. If you can, CAT6 cable is the best. No disconnection, no interference, no latency, no reboots and it is future proof as it will accept speeds higher than 1Gbps.

hereandthere

I'm extremely grateful to all of you. For the technologically disadvantaged like me I first needed to read quite a bit on lifewire just to sort of understand all the advice, so please bear with me. First off I established that my Sony Bravia 2011 tv is not wireless ready! Yes, I know!! I don't really want to buy a new tv this month and it seems cable is a good bet anyway. So for now I have to use an Ethernet cable through the ceiling about 35 feet to my tv at floor level, plus a tv box, not sure what it's called. (I should maybe have installed in the lounge in the first place and let the study desktop run on wifi? Too late now though).
I have a tplink ac750 dual band router for my fiber offering at 20mbps. (Note advice to stick with same brand thanks however I have windows 10 on my desktop computer and I saw that tplink powerline for one is not compatible with this. Desktop plugs directly into Ethernet cable though.)
My wifi reception is ok in the lounge where the tv is situated as far as e.g. internet surfing and child's games on a tablet is concerned but when I tried to play YouTube music on a Bluetooth speaker from my laptop on the adjoining patio I could just make it, but couldn't get into the garden as I'd like. So I'm thinking that whatever switch/adapter I install in my lounge, should assist with future multiple use in this general lounge to patio to garden area too.
Thus excuse my ignorance, but what kind of adaptor or switch or other hub do I need to buy to go into the wall behind the tv to provide a wired connection to my tv plus wifi capability for other devices? So do you get a wireless access point adaptor (the AP ac) which also joins to the cable connection for the tv?
Sorry I am so wordy in this 'quick reply' not an engineer!

hereandthere

Just realized everyone taking about Cat6 cables. Don't I need a fibre optic cable to tv as have FTTH?

cenredash

Expert Member
Just realized everyone taking about Cat6 cables. Don't I need a fibre optic cable to tv as have FTTH?
No, the technology that you need to get to your front door isn't the same as you require inside your property or house. Fibre optic cable is the equivalent of a 6 Lane tarred highway. It gets your Internet / car to your property but once on your property a nice paved driveway is more than adequate to get your car / Internet to your garage/tv.

They are different technologies for different use cases. Fibre optic cable is overkill for your use case inside a normal residence or even business.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
(Note advice to stick with same brand thanks however I have windows 10 on my desktop computer and I saw that tplink powerline for one is not compatible with this. Desktop plugs directly into Ethernet cable though.)

This makes no sense

hereandthere

Since I have an iPhone and iPad amthinking a second hand Apple TV maybe to watch show max until I get a smart tv. I have downgraded dstv and don't feel like going back to premium for showmax on explorer. Does this make sense?

q12485

You may want to check if the TP-Link issue with Windows 10 still exists or if there are drivers available now for download, I use a Mac so can't help on that front. Obviously there are other adaptor brands on the market that you could choose.

Some power line adaptors have ethernet only while others have ethernet and Wi-Fi, depending on what you need in any particular room. In your case I assume you need an adaptor, like the TP-4220, that has ethernet and Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi in the TV room will improve the service to portable devices and may extend out not the garden, hard to say. The ethernet can be used to feed something like an Apple TV, Roku or whatever device you want to connect to your TV. If your TV is a smart TV and has on-board streaming capability then the ethernet from the adaptor could plug straight into the TV ethernet port.

Trompie67

Expert Member
What issue with Win 10 compatibility & TP-Link are you talking about?

Simply put, there is no issue. There are no drivers to be downloaded. There are no drivers to be installed.

1 TP-Link connects from plug point to your router. Others (in other rooms/places in the house) connect from plug point to PC/Access point. Or, use a Wi-Fi TP-Link unit.

We run a mix of Win 10, Win 7, Linux & have no issue. I have never needed to install drivers? It is so easy an idiot can do it. Plug, press 1 button on the unit to sync & play. Done.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
The op mentions fibre specifically. Does the access medium really matter?
Becomes an issue @ gigabit fibre...when I research that back in the day I concluded that the 1000mbps powerlines wouldn't be able to keep up with gigabit fibre. (as counter-intuitive as that seems).

I'm guessing OP is just excited about fibre though...let him be

Genisys

Honorary Master
The TP-Link products has a Web interface you can use to manage the device, and set it up. Never needed no software. Would also just recomend sticking to the cable.

hereandthere

Thanks again guys. It is slow going for a newbie like me, but I'm a good researcher. This OP is actually a woman but indeed I'm excited about having fibre, albeit a dreary 20mbps offering. Thought I'd test this speed first because I can upgrade anytime.
We're going to run a cable to the tv for sure and I did find out that I cant afford a fibre cable So it'll be Cat5 since my husband has some lying around for some bizarre reason. I read that one should install a conduit too so as to upgrade the line when it's needed. Who knows how soon I'll need gigabits coursing through my home's veins!
On the powerline, here is a link to an actual TPlink powerline which shows windows 10 is non compatible, but I accept the point regarding software.
https://www.pclinkshop.co.za/index....7WL7gj9_hlFIjrOo5XDlxTTK64AtXmNQaAnLrEALw_wcB

Trompie67

Expert Member
2 things:

1. It says nothing about being incompatible with WIN 10.
2. Why buy the ones with a plug point? Just buy normal ones - around R1k less expensive.

hereandthere

Regarding q12485's comments about dual wifi Ethernet adaptors, do you get similar without powerline? Turns out my lounge is not on the same circuit so that's out for the tv, but may use it elsewhere. So if I'm running cat5 or 6 cable to my tv and also want a wifi access point there, do I have to buy a second router or is there such a thing as a device with both a switch and a wifi access point (cheaper than a router)? Or if not, can this second router be a real cheapy as it's not the main router? Thanks in advance again for your patience, especially Trompie et al. Sensing a certain level of frustration.

cenredash

Expert Member
You can get different kinds of wifi extenders that's not powerline. But they work better of you Daisy chain, i.e. have it overlap the existing wifi access point signal. Alternatively a better Router or ubiquiti unifi access points will also extend your wifi coverage.

Alternatively alternatively you run your cat 5 or cat 6 cable to a cheapish Router as a switch with a wan port and you can run a cable to your TV and broadcast your wifi signal from there.

Trompie67

Expert Member
Thanks again guys. It is slow going for a newbie like me, but I'm a good researcher. This OP is actually a woman but indeed I'm excited about having fibre, albeit a dreary 20mbps offering. Thought I'd test this speed first because I can upgrade anytime.
We're going to run a cable to the tv for sure and I did find out that I cant afford a fibre cable So it'll be Cat5 since my husband has some lying around for some bizarre reason. I read that one should install a conduit too so as to upgrade the line when it's needed. Who knows how soon I'll need gigabits coursing through my home's veins!
On the powerline, here is a link to an actual TPlink powerline which shows windows 10 is non compatible, but I accept the point regarding software.
https://www.pclinkshop.co.za/index....7WL7gj9_hlFIjrOo5XDlxTTK64AtXmNQaAnLrEALw_wcB

Which product are you talking about here?

There you go.