Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
I want to buy some local prepaid Internet Solutions bandwidth.

From whom can I purchase this from?

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
www.nexus.co.za - They're the cheapest I've found and their service is just exquisite.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Thanks but it doesn't seem like they have local bandwidth which is what I'm looking for.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Hey that's cool...:)

I spoke to nexus and they said IS does not sell prepaid on it's own... And they don't have prepaid IS like I'm looking for, only a monthly thingy.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Hey that's cool...:)

I spoke to nexus and they said IS does not sell prepaid on it's own... And they don't have prepaid IS like I'm looking for, only a monthly thingy.

Well, I like using Nexus' Custom DSL (prepaid) for gaming since it's semi-shaped and I can top it up in 500 meg increments for R35 each time (keeps me going for the last few days of the month :p). Which isn't bad at all, methinks.

But I'm not too knowledgeable about the local-only options since my 3GB account with TI has that whole 30GB local thing... Which I still haven't found a real use for other than http://gaming.do.co.za :p Sorry... again :eek:

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
I also got a Telkom account but I need the IS for news servers since apparently it's better.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
I also got a Telkom account but I need the IS for news servers since apparently it's better.

And assagai to the rescue :p

Well, both news servers that I've tried have been atrocious. The entire concept of local-only usage is lost on me. I think I've said it before - torrents that interest me take five weeks to download and news servers take five weeks to connect. I value speed, convenience and efficiency too much to be bothered any more.

venom

yeah just get yourself a 10 gig openweb account and pay via bank transfer, cancel the account at the end of the month.

venom

Wouldn't say it's better. perhaps a tad more reliable with regards to uptime but you'll still pull way more stuff off SAIX server. IS is only good for cached items unless you know how to get more connections...with SAIX you can get your cached items at full speed during the day and uncached at night.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Wouldn't say it's better. perhaps a tad more reliable with regards to uptime but you'll still pull way more stuff off SAIX server. IS is only good for cached items unless you know how to get more connections...with SAIX you can get your cached items at full speed during the day and uncached at night.

I heard that SAIX limits it in the day until 6....

I can only download from the saix news server after 6.

venom

Yeah thats for uncached stuff, from 6pm to 6am you get inconsistent speed (on my 4meg line it ranges from 0-140KB/s) , but still can get through a decent amount. During the day the server is totally down for uncached stuff but if you try the popular, cached stuff you will get full line-speed. So basically I leave my specialty downloads for the night and do my popular stuff during the day.

IS you will always get full speed on cached stuff and will always get less than 12KB/s on uncached.

Hope that helps