Pretoria - Moot FTTH Movement

theTottom

Telkom stealing its own copper infrastructure to force paying customers to move the Telkom wireless alternative.
We do not have Fibre services and Wireless services are terrible. Affected areas Riviera, Villieria and other
parts of the Pretoria Moot area was impacted with no dial tone / phone / adsl since 19h25, Wednesday evening on 14.08.2019. I contacted the call center and they suggested that there is an issue on the Exchange and the technicians are investigating and the aforementioned areas are the affected areas. The next morning, the issue persisted and I then proceeded to log a Fault online - 1CTK150819. Apparently a technician entered my property later in the day around 12pm without contacting me in any way. Thursday afternoon around 4pm i contacted 10210 to follow up since no-one had contacted me and there is no update on the online fault that was logged. The conversation ended whereby i asked politely to have the engineer contact me with an update / eta. Friday, no update and no call. I then contacted 10210 again, which i was then told that because our cables are being stolen so often (they are absolute liars), that they will not be replacing it, then also saying that we are will have to use the wireless solution instead (this solution useless for data / vpn connections). We have not had an outage due to cable theft in the last 3 years, this is a fact. Telkom is blatantly lying and for their own benefit will impact the paying customer. We are now without means of telephonic or data access. Even though we paid for the services in advance. This is a true showcase of local terrorism.

HartsockZA

So this might be a very old thread, but we are in the pre-alpha stages of doing wireless. now I know most of you would not touch wireless and have had bad experiences in the past but if for laughs we managed to get a backhaul fiber connection to the area wireless how many of you would be interested in that?

Gothan

Expert Member
Well I’ve been on wireless since 2015 , and have not had any issues. The chance of capital park getting fibre in this millennia is a slim chance

McGuywer

Executive Member
So this might be a very old thread, but we are in the pre-alpha stages of doing wireless. now I know most of you would not touch wireless and have had bad experiences in the past but if for laughs we managed to get a backhaul fiber connection to the area wireless how many of you would be interested in that?
If your grids are on Wonderboom, remember, there is a lot of interference. Even with proper backhaul, my issue was between tower and home.
I am mostly concerned around price, though.

HartsockZA

If your grids are on Wonderboom, remember, there is a lot of interference. Even with proper backhaul, my issue was between tower and home.
I am mostly concerned around price, though.

Like I said, very pre-alpha on this but Equipment would definitely be with Ubiquiti. Most of the time we've heard of towers being oversold and in some cases, they have a Station to station setup that is also oversold that causes clients connecting to tower low speeds even with high throughput.

For the starting area for Alpha network, clients could be somewhere between R200-R400 for speeds up to 5Mbps ex Installation clients looking for a 15Mbps could pay somewhere between R400-R800. People in the age range of pensioners will receive a discount of a price yet to be discussed and or a package specific.

Like I mentioned already this is pre-alpha so nothing is fixed as yet and there are lots of interesting things we plan to do to shake up the wireless market.

That too good to be true light must be flickering at this point so to add lastly we always put the customer first. Something no ISP/WISP has ever done and if they do do it it's only after mountains of butt kissing

Last edited:

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Im not sure if you guys are living under a rock, but fibre should be live in the Moot before the end of this year. Frogfoot is digging up the whole area. They doing 3 - 6 blocks at a time

Gothan

Expert Member
Im not sure if you guys are living under a rock, but fibre should be live in the Moot before the end of this year. Frogfoot is digging up the whole area. They doing 3 - 6 blocks at a time

I’m I don’t think so. Nothing in capital park, les Marais and eloffsdal

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Looks like some fiber laying activity on Tom Jenkins drive (Rietondale). Will inquire when I ride past them again.

Gothan

Expert Member
It’s just ridiculous how the majority of the moot is just side stepped in laying down fibre. Then you read that a small rural town in the middle of butt kiss valley has 100mb fibre