Previewing downloads in Firefox

DJ...

Banned
Is it possible to preview a file currently being downloaded? Is there a FF add-on that can allow one to do this or can FF alone do this? I know some download managers have this functionality but I cant seem to find anything that might allow me to do it using FF3.

What I mean is being able to watch or listen to the already downloaded portion of a video or audio file?

nihilist

Expert Member
Yes it's possible with a lil' DIY.

Start your download, let's say it's called "gheigoatpr0n.avi"

While downloading, in your downloads dir, you'll see 2 files

gheigoatpr0n.avi
gheigoatpr0n.avi.part <- the temp file, this is the file FF is writing to disk. The file is locked, so you'll have to copy it to a new file:

Navigate to gheigoatpr0n.avi.part in Explorer select the menu: Edit -> Copy -> Paste, it'll paste it to Copy of gheigoatpr0n.avi.part, you can then play it with your media player.

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
Yes it's possible with a lil' DIY.

Start your download, let's say it's called "gheigoatpr0n.avi"

While downloading, in your downloads dir, you'll see 2 files

gheigoatpr0n.avi
gheigoatpr0n.avi.part <- the temp file, this is the file FF is writing to disk. The file is locked, so you'll have to copy it to a new name:

You can copy that file to a new file, Edit -> Copy -> Paste, it'll paste it to Copy of gheigoatpr0n.avi.part, you can then play it with your media player.

Awesome, thanks man. I wonder why nobody has automated this process with an add-on?

nihilist

Expert Member
Awesome, thanks man. I wonder why nobody has automated this process with an add-on?

Somebody probably has, some download managers have a preview feature, I think "Free Download Manager" (google it, first link) has one but I prefer to DIY.