Quadcopter/Drone Thread

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm sure you will find a gap!

Got the new Mavic 2 Pro last week, so been flying that the past few days;
Got it yesterday and have been busy updating firmware... batteries, controller, and even the drone itself.

Can't get over how small the thing really is. I've got some free time tomorrow so I'm hoping the wind will die down by then!

That Pro looks like a beast :)

genetic

Honorary Master
Got it yesterday and have been busy updating firmware... batteries, controller, and even the drone itself.

Can't get over how small the thing really is. I've got some free time tomorrow so I'm hoping the wind will die down by then!

Hope you get some time to fly Bwana... (a photographer never misses out on a chance to test new gear ;)).

Post some pics!

Cowboy619

Oooh cant wait to hear about it. PS it flies flippen well in windy conditions

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What stick mode do you DJI guys use? I tried the default (2) but it didn't seem nearly as intuitive as mode 3. Not sure why one would feel more natural than any other since this is my first real drone. :unsure:

The seagulls are quite aggressive towards it.

genetic

Honorary Master
What stick mode do you DJI guys use? I tried the default (2) but it didn't seem nearly as intuitive as mode 3.

The seagulls are quite aggressive towards it.
I always use mode 2, it's the most intuitive to me (historically model aircraft used the same configuration). Use what's best for you, as you don't want to be fumbling when making quick decisions. Missing a tree branch can be the matter of just a split second of quick reaction of the stick.

Be VERY careful of seagulls! They will actually hit the drone, causing it to crash. I refuse to fly when aggressive seagulls are around, and that's even with the bigger Phantom.

Last edited:

Brawler

Executive Member
yeah I have had many close encounters with Seagulls. They are quick but can't climb like your drone can. If they get close, like real close, rapidly gain some altitude and race home.

genetic

Honorary Master
yeah I have had many close encounters with Seagulls. They are quick but can't climb like your drone can. If they get close, like real close, rapidly gain some altitude and race home.
+1

Climb and get away, cause they WILL hit your drone.

creeper

Expert Member
Musselcrackers are also quite aggressive. Nearly lost my Mavic pro over the holidays.

InvisibleJim

Hi Guys.

I've been thinking about getting my first drone to mess around with and to try out a little aerial photography but I don't want drop serious money on it at this stage.

I've been getting ads for the Drone-X Pro coming up on my FB feed for sale at around R1300 and it seems to match what I had in mind in terms of features and price. The SG700 advertised on Wish at various prices I saw for sale locally at a similar price.

Does anyone have any advice regarding these drones or similar and with low cost drones purchased via sites like Wish or Gearbest - I'm happy to accept lower quality to a degree at this stage but I don't want to waste time on something totally useless.

Thanks in advance.

Quad

Hi Guys.

I've been thinking about getting my first drone to mess around with and to try out a little aerial photography but I don't want drop serious money on it at this stage.

I've been getting ads for the Drone-X Pro coming up on my FB feed for sale at around R1300 and it seems to match what I had in mind in terms of features and price. The SG700 advertised on Wish at various prices I saw for sale locally at a similar price.

Does anyone have any advice regarding these drones or similar and with low cost drones purchased via sites like Wish or Gearbest - I'm happy to accept lower quality to a degree at this stage but I don't want to waste time on something totally useless.

Thanks in advance.
Don't waste your money. Get a DJI Tello. Fantastic 'starter' drone. Look on Carbonite and Gumtree for a 2nd hand one.

InvisibleJim

Don't waste your money. Get a DJI Tello. Fantastic 'starter' drone. Look on Carbonite and Gumtree for a 2nd hand one.
Thanks. A Tello is also a possibility.

I like that the Tello can be programmed with Scratch as I'm just introducing my daughter to Scratch.

Last edited: