Quadcopter/Drone Thread

tRoN

Executive Member
Recommendations for a beginner drone with decent camera and flight time that wont cost a fortune?

More interested in videography than anything else.

Edit: I've done research on the DJI Mavic Mini which retails for about R6500-7000. Is this the best bang for the buck?
I just bought the Tello for 999 with 2 batteries.

Although it’s a toy, when coupled with a controller it gives you a good idea of drone flying.
Crap video though as it has no mSD card slot

My issue with the mavic minj is that it’s too light and has no collision sensors for the beginner pilot.
I’d rather break or lose the Tello until I’m confident to buy a more expensive drone

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I need a plan to drop something weighing ±75g off a drone - any suggestions?

I was thinking of a wire frame that sticks out the front, or back, and drops the payload when I switch to Sport mode but I'm open to suggestions.

HunterNW

Honorary Master

I was thinking of a wire frame that sticks out the front, or back, and drops the payload when I switch to Sport mode but I'm open to suggestions.
What do you want to drop ?

neoprema

Expert Member
I promised my youngest a “burial at sea” for a goldfish.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Plan B - thanks
Put the goldfish ontop, fly straight then do a loop. :)
The fish is frozen, it keeps sliding off.

It would be cool if I could do a loop or a roll. :)

garyc

Expert Member

That fish is about 17% of the weight of the drone. Sticking it out of the front or back will move the centre of gravity, possibly placing it outside of acceptable bounds for control (no idea what these actually are). There are a bunch of youtube videos on dropping things. About the simplest seems to be to use a clothes peg and then bouncing the drone up and down until the payload works loose from it.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That fish is about 17% of the weight of the drone. Sticking it out of the front or back will move the centre of gravity, possibly placing it outside of acceptable bounds for control (no idea what these actually are). There are a bunch of youtube videos on dropping things. About the simplest seems to be to use a clothes peg and then bouncing the drone up and down until the payload works loose from it.
I figure this has a good chance of working. I might have to fly the outbound leg backwards though.

The revised weight is 50g and I can reduce it further if necessary. I've flown with way heavier objects dangling off it before.

The clothes peg technique is great for dropping bait because it's got a line attached to it. Once I drop this fish I don't want it back!

dabean

Expert Member
I've never seen a Mavic but can't you tie a loop around the front of camera (then release by tilting it down)?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We’ve had a few trial runs with respectable results. Just waiting for the ice to freeze and set the string in place. Hopefully both takeoff and landing corks stay in place next time.

IMG_5985.jpg

eg2505

Honorary Master
@bwana that is very creative, how much you reckon you could add before it tips over, or cant take off?

Ive seen this I think is built for small loads to be carried on a drone.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
@bwana that is very creative, how much you reckon you could add before it tips over, or cant take off?

Ive seen this I think is built for small loads to be carried on a drone.
Tipping wouldn't be a problem. The weight is close to the centre until it's time to jettison. As for load capacity... I can say two things with absolute certainty. First that it will fly with (at least) 250g slung below it and second that a 250g fanta bottle will not survive a 30m fall onto a driveway.

IMG_6001.jpg