rubber_otter

Expert Member
Day 0:

Lockdown is imminent. I have just gotten my Huawei P40 Pro in the nick of time. It’s a 256GB, 8GB RAM, Matte grey version. I unbox it. This thing is heavy. I like it. I quickly run through the set up and immediately fire up the camera. The 90Hz screen makes everything smoother than Linus’ segway into that days’ sponsor.

The amount of options, modes, and little tricks. 50x hybrid zoom with OIS. Neighbors gearing up for isolation. I can see the beads of sweat on his forehead, 100m away. I feel like a creep and switch modes.

7860fps video. I call my son and give him a hosepipe. Beautiful. I look around and spot a Bee. 4 takes for an out of focus shot. I need more practice with this.

Flip the camera around, take a selfie. This thing has a ToF sensor supporting the dual 32MP front facing cameras. Bokeh effect is on point. I look like I am gearing up for the end of the world. Delete the picture.

Day 1:

I wake up, device on 100%, and lockdown is 100% in effect. Time to play.

It is a bit wobbly on my nightstand because of the camera bump. But I don’t care, because, those camera’s tho.

I flip through Insta, buttery smooth. Check FB, check twitter. FNB, have I been paid yet? I missed the panic-buy rush against my will. Never mind.

Skype video call from my boss. I am still in bed. Everyone is working from home, but why from 06h00? I just glance at the phone and it unlocks. Jiminy crickets that was fast! 3D face scanning is working too well. My boss laughs at my ‘do. I ask him to give me a couple of minutes to pull myself towards myself. Skype on one side of the screen, Excel on the other. Multi-tasking. Genius.

I cannot order a 5G SIM to push this bad boy to it’s limits. Takealot’s delivery driver might infect me. I sanitize my hands just thinking of that.

My mother calls me. I answer. “Do you have enough clean underwear?”
“I am 36 years old, mother. I can remember to pick them up from your house myself, thank you”.

I hang up. I realize there is no earpiece. How? Science! And amazing engineering, I suppose. And then it hits me. I cannot leave the house to collect my underwear. Great.

Day 2:

Time to brave the outdoors. Lockdown is in full effect. Are there cops outside? No, not yet. Some Caspers passed here earlier. People are in hiding.

This screen is visible in direct sunlight. Screen is glorious. Focus! 50MP images. Kirin 990 making mince meat of 4K @ 60FPS. Careful of the video size, though. Wait, scratch that, 256GB is more than enough. I will come out again tonight for some star shots. For now, the baby is awake. I can easily take a video of her crying and share it to my Huawei laptop with a simple tap. Cold? Possibly. Intuitive? Exactly!

All jokes aside, the P40 Pro has delivered yet again. The 4th iteration of Huawei’s Photography line of phones is leagues ahead of the competition. Are the competitors even trying? Three days of use have taught me that Google Software does not define a phone. An orange fruitcake cannot kill a brand.

The hardware, the software, and the implementation and marriage of the two is absolutely astounding. I have yet to encounter a better device.

This phone deserves a 10/10.

Note: I will keep this thread updated with interesting pictures and videos as soon as I can get out the house a bit.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Day 0:

Lockdown is imminent. I have just gotten my Huawei P40 Pro in the nick of time. It’s a 256GB, 8GB RAM, Matte grey version. I unbox it. This thing is heavy. I like it. I quickly run through the set up and immediately fire up the camera. The 90Hz screen makes everything smoother than Linus’ segway into that days’ sponsor.

The amount of options, modes, and little tricks. 50x hybrid zoom with OIS. Neighbors gearing up for isolation. I can see the beads of sweat on his forehead, 100m away. I feel like a creep and switch modes.

7860fps video. I call my son and give him a hosepipe. Beautiful. I look around and spot a Bee. 4 takes for an out of focus shot. I need more practice with this.

Flip the camera around, take a selfie. This thing has a ToF sensor supporting the dual 32MP front facing cameras. Bokeh effect is on point. I look like I am gearing up for the end of the world. Delete the picture.

Day 1:

It is a bit wobbly on my nightstand because of the camera bump. But I don’t care, because, those camera’s tho.

I flip through Insta, buttery smooth. Check FB, check twitter. FNB, have I been paid yet? I missed the panic-buy rush against my will. Never mind.

Skype video call from my boss. I am still in bed. Everyone is working from home, but why from 06h00? I just glance at the phone and it unlocks. Jiminy crickets that was fast! 3D face scanning is working too well. My boss laughs at my ‘do. I ask him to give me a couple of minutes to pull myself towards myself. Skype on one side of the screen, Excel on the other. Multi-tasking. Genius.

I cannot order a 5G SIM to push this bad boy to it’s limits. Takealot’s delivery driver might infect me. I sanitize my hands just thinking of that.

“I am 36 years old, mother. I can remember to pick them up from your house myself, thank you”.

I hang up. I realize there is no earpiece. How? Science! And amazing engineering, I suppose. And then it hits me. I cannot leave the house to collect my underwear. Great.

Day 2:

Time to brave the outdoors. Lockdown is in full effect. Are there cops outside? No, not yet. Some Caspers passed here earlier. People are in hiding.

This screen is visible in direct sunlight. Screen is glorious. Focus! 50MP images. Kirin 990 making mince meat of 4K @ 60FPS. Careful of the video size, though. Wait, scratch that, 256GB is more than enough. I will come out again tonight for some star shots. For now, the baby is awake. I can easily take a video of her crying and share it to my Huawei laptop with a simple tap. Cold? Possibly. Intuitive? Exactly!

All jokes aside, the P40 Pro has delivered yet again. The 4th iteration of Huawei’s Photography line of phones is leagues ahead of the competition. Are the competitors even trying? Three days of use have taught me that Google Software does not define a phone. An orange fruitcake cannot kill a brand.

The hardware, the software, and the implementation and marriage of the two is absolutely astounding. I have yet to encounter a better device.

Note: I will keep this thread updated with interesting pictures and videos as soon as I can get out the house a bit.
A phone with so much potential in the camera and nothing to photograph but your family in their PJs LMAO. Sympathies :laugh:
Nice phone tho. I'm just a little disappointed that Android is so limited gaming wise. I wish they'd open it up a bit. If the Nintendo Switch is nothing but a Tegra based mobile device....

Leisure Larry

You haven't responded to the Gmail I sent you!
Are you trying to navigate your way to the laundry without Maps?

Why oh why is Donald Duck doing this to us!

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Lol, absolutely entertaining yet insightful read

Not so such a bad lockdown for you being trapped inside with this brand new camera beast, looking forward to your photos!

ThaGombami

Great review @rubber_otter you just got me smiling under lockdown / house arrest. Looking forward to more humourous and informative info as you enjoy your new girl....

Day 0:

Day 1:

Day 2:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
10 points for the writing.
-10 points for the lack of Google apps.

0/10
Please posted a proper review with unboxing and a more detailed device review.

What's that, don't have one to unbox?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Please posted a proper review with unboxing and a more detailed device review.

What's that, don't have one to unbox?

Isn't the power of the internet wonderful?

"No matter how good this phone is... it's not likely to be a phone that people like me in this market are going to recommend to others."

"The lens through which I'm looking at this phone is... what stuff from this phone should other manufacturers copy."

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Isn't the power of the internet wonderful?

"No matter how good this phone is... it's not likely to be a phone that people like me in this market are going to recommend to others."

"The lens through which I'm looking at this phone is... what stuff from this phone should other manufacturers copy."
So what is the reason, in your expert opinion, that other manufacturers should copy a "0/10" phone?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
So what is the reason, in your expert opinion, that other manufacturers should copy a "0/10" phone?

0/10 was a joke bud. Clearly the phone has some good features.

That said, there's little for other manufacturers to worry about when they're on top of the important stuff anyway. Curved edges are becoming less prominent, which the P40 Pro messes up. Even Samsung has changed course there. The monstrous pill cutout on the front has had its day and looks quite archaic now.

The P40 Pro (and previous Huawei flagships) didn't have to be the best at anything. It was enough to just be pretty great at everything. But with the absence of Google apps, the value proposition sucks for most people. Not having the Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Chrome, Google Photos, Google Drive etc. apps is a massive loss to the average Android user. The hassle of using Google services on the P40 Pro would only be justified if the device cost half as much as other flagships. But it actually costs OVER a thousand USD. Absurd.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Still early days on the Google issue - we'll see what happens.

R&D doesn't cost half as much without Google - it has the latest tech inside - camera / chipset / 5G etc

Every new idea / new way of doing something, has at some point been laughed off as absurd. The winners are the ones that keep innovating regardless.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
0/10 was a joke bud. Clearly the phone has some good features.

That said, there's little for other manufacturers to worry about when they're on top of the important stuff anyway. Curved edges are becoming less prominent, which the P40 Pro messes up. Even Samsung has changed course there. The monstrous pill cutout on the front has had its day and looks quite archaic now.

The P40 Pro (and previous Huawei flagships) didn't have to be the best at anything. It was enough to just be pretty great at everything. But with the absence of Google apps, the value proposition sucks for most people. Not having the Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Chrome, Google Photos, Google Drive etc. apps is a massive loss to the average Android user. The hassle of using Google services on the P40 Pro would only be justified if the device cost half as much as other flagships. But it actually costs OVER a thousand USD. Absurd.

Huawei tests “AppSearch” to help users download popular apps without using the Google Play Store
1585553393350.png
Also the P40 Pro is launching with a bunch of goodies included just like the Y7p that launched here comes with bluetooth headphones and 16gb sd card thrown in for free.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

View attachment 809019
Also the P40 Pro is launching with a bunch of goodies included just like the Y7p that launched here comes with bluetooth headphones and 16gb sd card thrown in for free.

Bluetooth earphones are cheap, as are small SD cards like that. This phone costs over a thousand USD, so having to deal with such a pathetically janky app situation (or be swayed by some cheap trinkets) is just ridiculous when you consider you could just get a Samsung S20+ instead.