Quarantined with the P40 Pro

Park@82

Honorary Master
Nice review @rubber_otter! What is the battery life like with the 90hz screen?

Wish I had an HMS phone to try out during lockdown.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Not having the Gmail, YouTube, Google Maps, Chrome, Google Photos, Google Drive etc. apps is a massive loss to the average Android user
About 8 or 9 weeks back I got myself a M30P - also no Google Services. For the first week or two, I actually carried around my M20P incase I ran into issues - but I've been carrying only the M30P since and don't miss Google as much as I thought.

Don't get me wrong - there are issues. I'm not going to deny that. There are times I miss some of the apps you mentioned, but those times aren't as often as you think.

I've got so used to just using the browser shortcuts for Gmail and YouTube - I don't even think about it. Chrome is available in the Aptoide store as well.

Google Maps has been replaced by Waze for me - no issues or limitations. You send me a Whatsapp pin and it opens in Waze. I send you a pin, and it opens in Maps.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Thanks for the delicious write-up.

This phone was on my list until the GMS ban. Would love to take another look but there's no way of checking whether it'll do what I need. Huawei should really make this info available on their website without having to install AppGallery.

If you have a spare mo, please do me a kindness and check in Huawei AppSearch whether the main Microsoft apps are available outside of the AppStore.

I run five O365 Enterprise mail accounts and Teams, so absolutely must have:
- Outlook (mail, calendars, contacts)
- Teams
- OneDrive

Nice to have:
- Edge (the new Chromium one)
- Launcher
- Password manager like Dashlane, Enpass that supports the main OS platforms mobile and desktop.

Thanks muchly.

jman

Expert Member
Thanks for the delicious write-up.

This phone was on my list until the GMS ban. Would love to take another look but there's no way of checking whether it'll do what I need. Huawei should really make this info available on their website without having to install AppGallery.

If you have a spare mo, please do me a kindness and check in Huawei AppSearch whether the main Microsoft apps are available outside of the AppStore.

I run five O365 Enterprise mail accounts and Teams, so absolutely must have:
- Outlook (mail, calendars, contacts)
- Teams
- OneDrive

Nice to have:
- Edge (the new Chromium one)
- Launcher
- Password manager like Dashlane, Enpass that supports the main OS platforms mobile and desktop.

Thanks muchly.
All the Microsoft stuff is available and works well, I think even pre-installed. I also found Edge in Aptoide. And I use Lastpass which works perfectly

Arthur

Honorary Master
All the Microsoft stuff is available and works well, I think even pre-installed. I also found Edge in Aptoide. And I use Lastpass which works perfectly
Thank-you. Great news.

Now to allay that lingering wonder whether Huawei secretly phones home to the Chinese dictatorship... ;). We already know Google and Apple do to theirs.

jman

Expert Member
Thank-you. Great news.

Now to allay that lingering wonder whether Huawei secretly phones home to the Chinese dictatorship... ;). We already know Google and Apple do to theirs.
Happy to check any other apps you might need

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
About 8 or 9 weeks back I got myself a M30P - also no Google Services. For the first week or two, I actually carried around my M20P incase I ran into issues - but I've been carrying only the M30P since and don't miss Google as much as I thought.

Don't get me wrong - there are issues. I'm not going to deny that. There are times I miss some of the apps you mentioned, but those times aren't as often as you think.

I've got so used to just using the browser shortcuts for Gmail and YouTube - I don't even think about it. Chrome is available in the Aptoide store as well.

Google Maps has been replaced by Waze for me - no issues or limitations. You send me a Whatsapp pin and it opens in Waze. I send you a pin, and it opens in Maps.
I'm not saying that Huawei has become unusable though. I'm saying it's a nonsensical compromise when there are other flagship Android devices that have no issue with Google apps. So why put yourself through that when you can just get a Samsung S20+.