'Race a proxy for disadvantage' - Maimane

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I agree.

The DA (and CoCT) is very keen on racial integration, especially to integrate the rich and the poor. All developments supported by the CoCT is to mix low up to high-income housing. The DA has an emphasis on narrowing the gap between the rich and the poor, one may look at this in class, but when looking at the inequalities they put forth this is on the basis of race.

I don’t agree with turning demographics upside down geographically, and you can see why the ANC wants to have fewer provinces in this regard. The DA may use EWC to their advantage to disrupt the traditional suburban setup.

When poor people move into the middle class, they start to look beyond their race, their background and past loyalties. It is an established pattern, thoroughly observed and researched. This surely can only apply when you have succeeded from one income level to the other and have applied your new living standards accordingly.

As said, I don't agree with forced integration. Here where I live, systematic change has been good and everyone I know is accepting the change, but once you force it you will force the traditional home dwellers out of the suburb.

To quote Maimane from last year, to snip,

http://www.sabcnews.com/sabcnews/racial-division-integration-dominate-maimane-speech/

Racial division and integration dominate Maimane speech

However, Maimane never spent much time discussing the thorny issue of land or land expropriation without compensation, only saying, “We need a plan that gives people ownership of their land, and then protects the property right of all South Africans.”
/Badum dish.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member
Source: https://irr.org.za/media/06-11-february-press-release-da-empowerment-11-02-19.pdf

Some pertinent quotes from the press release:

' On B-BBEE, the DA Federal Council has in effect adopted wholesale the ANC’s model of empowerment – a failed model not merely because of its political abuse but because it destroys economic growth, cannot bind business to it in an effective manner, and cannot properly address disadvantage.'

'What the DA is saying, is that it can be a better ANC than the ANC. Under Mmusi Maimane, the DA has ceased to be a thought-leader; it is now a thought-follower.'

'The DA has been forced to do this is the consequence of two things. One, the increasingly anti-intellectual character of the party leadership – weekend reports state that Mmusi Maimane told those who wished to debate this to ‘shut up’. Two, the political weakness of the party, internally and externally.'

'The fact is, the DA could not even bring itself to develop or debate a policy that would distinguish itself from the ANC and give life to its own leader’s public direction. When a party cannot even debate an issue, that is when political death sets in. It starts internally, closing minds, before it spreads externally. Eventually, all that is left is an empty, hollow shell. Unless the DA changes its worrisome ideological course, soon enough those voters
who seek a liberal alternative to the ANC, and a move away from race as the basis for policy - making, will be forced to look elsewhere.'
Already forced... :rolleyes:

Their latest Fck ups are just icing on the cake...

zolly

Expert Member
As a brown dude, I sympathise with you guys and agree that race shouldn't be a proxy for disadvantage when you could look at a number of other factors, such as individual/family earnings, but from a political stand point, it makes perfect sense.

With middle and upper class white people as a voting group being stagnant or being in decline as more and more white people leave the country, why would you push an idea (it may be a flawed idea, but it's a culturally accepted one) that alienates a significant majority of your voters? In all seriousness, I hear about at least one to two white families bailing from SA each month through various people I meet. If the DA wants to grow as a party, they're going to shift gears to appeal to the majority, even if it pisses of voters from stagnant/declining minorities.

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
There is no longer any "classic liberal" party voting option. The time is now ripe for the DA to split.

zolly

Expert Member
Source: https://irr.org.za/media/06-11-february-press-release-da-empowerment-11-02-19.pdf

Some pertinent quotes from the press release:

' On B-BBEE, the DA Federal Council has in effect adopted wholesale the ANC’s model of empowerment – a failed model not merely because of its political abuse but because it destroys economic growth, cannot bind business to it in an effective manner, and cannot properly address disadvantage.'

'What the DA is saying, is that it can be a better ANC than the ANC. Under Mmusi Maimane, the DA has ceased to be a thought-leader; it is now a thought-follower.'

'The DA has been forced to do this is the consequence of two things. One, the increasingly anti-intellectual character of the party leadership – weekend reports state that Mmusi Maimane told those who wished to debate this to ‘shut up’. Two, the political weakness of the party, internally and externally.'

'The fact is, the DA could not even bring itself to develop or debate a policy that would distinguish itself from the ANC and give life to its own leader’s public direction. When a party cannot even debate an issue, that is when political death sets in. It starts internally, closing minds, before it spreads externally. Eventually, all that is left is an empty, hollow shell. Unless the DA changes its worrisome ideological course, soon enough those voters
who seek a liberal alternative to the ANC, and a move away from race as the basis for policy - making, will be forced to look elsewhere.'
Regarding the death of debate, I am all for a party bashing things out internally and doing a press release regarding their discussions. Unfortunately these things are also taking place on twitter, a platform I have recently left because it's a cesspool of idiocy and I'm tired of trying to get people to critically analyse their thinking to recognise the flaws in it.

Twitter is a platform of aggression (due to parallels between the short form nature of tweets and aggression communication in general), and stupidity, and politicians should absolutely refrain from using it. I for one was really surprised when one of the current DA leaders basically told someone to sit down and shut up when they offered their views on something on twitter.

zolly

Expert Member
There is no longer any "classic liberal" party voting option. The time is now ripe for the DA to split.
From what I've read, COPE is still actually fairly liberal in its policies, but I may be wrong.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
As a brown dude, I sympathise with you guys and agree that race shouldn't be a proxy for disadvantage when you could look at a number of other factors, such as individual/family earnings, but from a political stand point, it makes perfect sense.

With middle and upper class white people as a voting group being stagnant or being in decline as more and more white people leave the country, why would you push an idea (it may be a flawed idea, but it's a culturally accepted one) that alienates a significant majority of your voters? In all seriousness, I hear about at least one to two white families bailing from SA each month through various people I meet. If the DA wants to grow as a party, they're going to shift gears to appeal to the majority, even if it pisses of voters from stagnant/declining minorities.
Exactly, makes perfect sense.

Why appeal to a decling minority? That would be crazy.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
It is actually sad that no political party in South Africa can get enough votes without racist policies.

Agreed, but I dont think it will change.

Evern mature multi-ethnic/racial countries vote according to race/ethnicity/religion.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Agreed, but I dont think it will change.

Evern mature multi-ethnic/racial countries vote according to race/ethnicity/religion.
Accepting it as a way of life is not helpful. We should stop voting for this racial nonsense.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Accepting it as a way of life is not helpful. We should stop voting for this racial nonsense.
We are naturally built to discriminate. Look at our cousins in the animal kingdom, discrimination is a way of life and survival. We are also like that. You cannot reject biology.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Hahha. No, not at all.

I'm just saying I feel the same amount of pity for a white beggar. Fokol.
Me either if I'm honest, although I do take pity on beggars from time to time because I kind of feel I should.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Me either if I'm honest, although I do take pity on beggars from time to time because I kind of feel I should.
I used to.

Sometimes I'll buy a waslappie from a coloured tannie that sells them walking from shop to shop, but that's not really begging.