'Race a proxy for disadvantage' - Maimane

porchrat

Honorary Master
'Race a proxy for disadvantage' - poor disadvantaged extremely wealthy leader of political party

surface

Expert Member
So Maimane, are you going to replace all these white DA MP's after the May elections?
Surely there must be loads of suitably qualified black candidates to replace them all.
Are you going to be a man of your word and lead by example in transforming your own party accoding to this new policy?

I raise you provincial leaders :p

1549897042227.png

STS

Mafia Detective
Correct me if I am wrong, but has the DA not always supported BEE, just not the way the ANC was implementing it? Didn't they mention last year that they had plans of scrapping it then later in the year reintroducing it?

Why was it okay for Zille to support BEE and not okay for Maine to? And when you are trying to get the majority votes in a country where the majority is poor and black, why would any party be stupid enough to not address the issue to attract voters?

I am not a DA fan, but we have had to put up with a lot of hypocrisy over the years on this forum based on many points, this being one of them.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Correct me if I am wrong, but has the DA not always supported BEE, just not the way the ANC was implementing it? Didn't they mention last year that they had plans of scrapping it then later in the year reintroducing it?

Why was it okay for Zille to support BEE and not okay for Maine to? And when you are trying to get the majority votes in a country where the majority is poor and black, why would any party be stupid enough to not address the issue to attract voters?

I am not a DA fan, but we have had to put up with a lot of hypocrisy over the years on this forum based on many points, this being one of them.
As far as I know they have long supported affirmative action, black economic empowerment and giving university places to those from disadvantaged backgrounds. But that affirmative action shouldn't mean hiring someone who cannot do the job, empowerment should benefit the poorest not the richest and disadvantage should be based on actual background not simply skin colour.

The Free Radical

B - BBEE: The DA again surrenders to the ANC - SA Institute of Race Relations
This past weekend, the DA’s Federal Council determined to shut down any debate on empowerment, choosing instead to adopt the ANC’s model of Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (B-BBEE), and the mantra that “race is a proxy for disadvantage” as a justification for its position. It was the decision of a party that has surrendered itself intellectually and morally to the ANC’s grand hegemonic hold over South African policy.
Source: https://irr.org.za/media/06-11-february-press-release-da-empowerment-11-02-19.pdf

Some pertinent quotes from the press release:

' On B-BBEE, the DA Federal Council has in effect adopted wholesale the ANC’s model of empowerment – a failed model not merely because of its political abuse but because it destroys economic growth, cannot bind business to it in an effective manner, and cannot properly address disadvantage.'

'What the DA is saying, is that it can be a better ANC than the ANC. Under Mmusi Maimane, the DA has ceased to be a thought-leader; it is now a thought-follower.'

'The DA has been forced to do this is the consequence of two things. One, the increasingly anti-intellectual character of the party leadership – weekend reports state that Mmusi Maimane told those who wished to debate this to ‘shut up’. Two, the political weakness of the party, internally and externally.'

'The fact is, the DA could not even bring itself to develop or debate a policy that would distinguish itself from the ANC and give life to its own leader’s public direction. When a party cannot even debate an issue, that is when political death sets in. It starts internally, closing minds, before it spreads externally. Eventually, all that is left is an empty, hollow shell. Unless the DA changes its worrisome ideological course, soon enough those voters
who seek a liberal alternative to the ANC, and a move away from race as the basis for policy - making, will be forced to look elsewhere.'

Last edited: