Rain 5G in Pretoria North?

werfie

Expert Member
Ordered yesterday so will be able to tell soon
Great stuff. Please let me know!

I cancelled my ADSL... To stop on 4 Dec.

Just want to know if Rain will be worth it or if I should look at fixed LTE rather.

Raven007140

I'm in PTA East, got my 5G on Tuesday. It is super dependent on the signal quality. 5G is very fragile, but if your signal quality is good the speeds and latency are amazing. I achieved up to 320Mb/s.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
Saw I'm also withing their 5G coverage in Pta North. If I didn't already have Telkom LTE, I would probably also be all over this. This is why I hate contracts :cautious:

werfie

Expert Member
I'm in PTA East, got my 5G on Tuesday. It is super dependent on the signal quality. 5G is very fragile, but if your signal quality is good the speeds and latency are amazing. I achieved up to 320Mb/s.
I am on the edge of the coverage area. I am hoping to find a good samaritan in the Norrrf that has this and may be willing to come over with their router to test the signal at my house

I don't know if my reasoning is flawed, but anything should be better than my current 10Mbps ADSL line right?

SykomantiS

Expert Member
If such a good Samaritan does come forward, I would love to have some tests done at my house as well- research purposes and all that.

11Snowman11

So let me give some feedback.

I received it yesterday. As I expected I was struggling with some signal. Spend about 2 hours moving the router around and I was not winning. Contacted them and they sent out a technician out. So this afternoon we spend around 1h30min looking to get a decent signal to get above 80 Mbps but we could not get a strong enough signal.
He showed me the coverage from the tower and it is not as big as the coverage shows on the website map.
The photo resembles what he showed me. The tower coverage is within the black circle and outside the coverage will drop significantly.
So I am quite unfortunate to be outside the circle and thus have to wait until coverage is increased.

So I will have to look at other options, maybe rain lte with other LTE during peak?
@SykomantiS How is your experience on the telkom LTE?

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master

I received it yesterday. As I expected I was struggling with some signal. Spend about 2 hours moving the router around and I was not winning. Contacted them and they sent out a technician out. So this afternoon we spend around 1h30min looking to get a decent signal to get above 80 Mbps but we could not get a strong enough signal.
He showed me the coverage from the tower and it is not as big as the coverage shows on the website map.
The photo resembles what he showed me. The tower coverage is within the black circle and outside the coverage will drop significantly.
So I am quite unfortunate to be outside the circle and thus have to wait until coverage is increased.

So I will have to look at other options, maybe rain lte with other LTE during peak?
Yes that circle gets smaller very quickly when you add trees and high buildings to the mix. If you have line of sight 5g router to tower or maybe second floor and up then it will help a lot. 5G signal is just too weak and I'm sure they are transmitting it at max allowed strength. It just is how it's going to be. If 3.5GHz is this disappointing imagine the other networks coverage with higher frequencies when they eventually get released.

Did you ask for an external unit?

11Snowman11

Yes that circle gets smaller very quickly when you add trees and high buildings to the mix. If you have line of sight 5g router to tower or maybe second floor and up then it will help a lot. 5G signal is just too weak and I'm sure they are transmitting it at max allowed strength. It just is how it's going to be. If 3.5GHz is this disappointing imagine the other networks coverage with higher frequencies when they eventually get released.

Did you ask for an external unit?
I have no line of sight to the tower and there are quite a few trees in between the house and the tower.
Yes the tech did bring an external unit. Unfortunately no second floor, but when the tech was here I went onto the roof with the external but only received 50% signal but the speed was only 38 Mbps. Is a little disappointed but I expected this as I was close to the edge of the coverage they have on the website.

So now I need to look at other possibilities (Telkom LTE, MTN, or a rain and telkom LTE combo) because the ADSL here is on life support

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have no line of sight to the tower and there are quite a few trees in between the house and the tower.
Yes the tech did bring an external unit. Unfortunately no second floor, but when the tech was here I went onto the roof with the external but only received 50% signal but the speed was only 38 Mbps. Is a little disappointed but I expected this as I was close to the edge of the coverage they have on the website.

So now I need to look at other possibilities (Telkom LTE, MTN, or a rain and telkom LTE combo) because the ADSL here is on life support
Damn disappointing but it's nice that Rain 5G is expanding at a rapid pace. I think they are starting with the easy to upgrade towers first. The others they likely need to replace sector antennas and equipment. Damn suck but yeah if it works it's magical.

I have a 200Mbps fibre line but I'm always on my 5G because it's more than double the download speed so yeah when it works it's really nice.

SykomantiS

Expert Member
@cavedog, my lte is at max about 40mbps. Sometimes it drops. I see thar I'm outside the circle on that coverage map, which sucks a bit. Do we know where exactly the tower is located (address / premises)?

11Snowman11

@cavedog, my lte is at max about 40mbps. Sometimes it drops. I see thar I'm outside the circle on that coverage map, which sucks a bit. Do we know where exactly the tower is located (address / premises)?
By the look of what he showed me on his laptop it is on the grounds of NG Florandia or within 50 meters around that area.
@SykomantiS how is the LTE ?

cavedog

Honorary Master
You are going to have to use the map as a guide to look for the tower.

werfie

Expert Member

Wow thanks for the feedback. Really sucks that it didn't work.

I am in the very edge of that blue blob so I sespect same will happen to me pretty much everything in Pta North between NG Florandia and my house on the furthest edge.

Maybe wouldn't hurt trying. Question, did you pay upfront for the router and then what happened when it didn't work? Did they refund you?

If this doesn't work, I will also have to look for alternatives there is a MTN tower close by maybe fixed LTE from them...

11Snowman11

Wow thanks for the feedback. Really sucks that it didn't work.

I am in the very edge of that blue blob so I sespect same will happen to me pretty much everything in Pta North between NG Florandia and my house on the furthest edge.

Maybe wouldn't hurt trying. Question, did you pay upfront for the router and then what happened when it didn't work? Did they refund you?

If this doesn't work, I will also have to look for alternatives there is a MTN tower close by maybe fixed LTE from them...
Paid upfront for the router, but that is being refunded now. I dont think you can lose much by trying. Maybe you have a lucky beam going your way. I must give it to rain. Excellent support so far. They even called this morning to apologize and said that they will inform me if the coverage is increased.
Do you perhaps know where the MTN tower is?

werfie

Expert Member
Paid upfront for the router, but that is being refunded now. I dont think you can lose much by trying. Maybe you have a lucky beam going your way. I must give it to rain. Excellent support so far. They even called this morning to apologize and said that they will inform me if the coverage is increased.
Do you perhaps know where the MTN tower is?
Cool thanks.

Well the one I know about is on the Voortrekker Eeufees propery.

11Snowman11

Cool thanks.

Well the one I know about is on the Voortrekker Eeufees propery.
I see. Think the Telkom LTE tower might be closer to me so, and they have a higher capped package so I think they will be the best option for now.