Rain 5G: My Experience & Network Setup

nad_isa

So all I did was plug the lan port of the Huawei CPE into my ASUS routers WAN port, setup dual WAN with my ADSL as failover. I didn't change anything on the Huawei and seems to be working.

this means that both routers are set to DHCP, but since they are in different IP ranges this should be okay right? (192.168.1.x on the asus vs 192.168.8.x on the huawei)

what benefit would setting the router in IP passthrough give me?

Also my wifi on my asus dsl AC52U seems to be a bottleneck. getting 200mpbs via wifi - anything I can do to improve this?

who would have thought 200mbps bottleneck - hahaha

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
So all I did was plug the lan port into my routers WAN port, setup dual WAN with my ADSL as failover. I didn't change anything on the Huawei and seems to be working.

this means that both routers are set to DHCP, but since they are in different ranges this should be okay right?

what benefit would setting the router in IP passthrough give me?

Also my wifi on my asus dsl AC52U seems to be a bottleneck. getting 200mpbs via wifi - anything I can do to improve this?

who would have thought 200mbps bottleneck - hahaha

I'm assuming that your home devices get the DHCP from the Asus? If so then that should be fine and you should be able to access the Huawei subnet through that - and yes they should be on different ranges.

If 5G CPEis in IP Passthrough then the Huawei only acts as a bridge - the main routing / firewalling etc will be done on the Asus. Huawei Wifi is also disabled if passthrough is enabled so only asus would serve Wifi

Only way to improve that Wifi "bottleneck" is to get better Wifi equipment, whether it be a Mesh system or some dedicated Access Points

nad_isa

I'm assuming that your home devices get the DHCP from the Asus? If so then that should be fine and you should be able to access the Huawei subnet through that - and yes they should be on different ranges.

If 5G CPEis in IP Passthrough then the Huawei only acts as a bridge - the main routing / firewalling etc will be done on the Asus. Huawei Wifi is also disabled if passthrough is enabled so only asus would serve Wifi

Only way to improve that Wifi "bottleneck" is to get better Wifi equipment, whether it be a Mesh system or some dedicated Access Points

Yes my devices are all connected via wifi or LAN to the asus router.

thanks my plan is to either get unifi or mikrotik router and wireless AP. busy with renovations and making provision to cable each room (looks like it will be cat6) and then AP(s)

nad_isa

now its just getting around CGNAT for remote access and gaming. will be looking at a PS5 and know people have had issues with some games like fifA with a CGNAT scenario..

researching things like zerotier, VPS, wireguard etc. but I'm not to clued up so will maybe see if someone can do it for me.

nad_isa

I am now playing cat and mouse until the unit is mounted outside. take it out into the yard in the morning and bring it back inside in the evening lol.

back inside this morning speed below (wifi)...

ST_20200731.0954.JPG

nad_isa

Once you taste the speed then suddenly 100Mbps starts feeling slow... :laugh:

still in the honeymoon phase but a week ago i was rocking 9/0.7 mbps adsl and now im in another world. Cancelled my vumareach order for the time being..

nad_isa

So nothing new to report yet - no new info other than what was previously posted. Will be purchasing some outdoor cable from scoop this week for external mounting of the router and should hopefully be done by the weekend. will be re-purposing an unused dstv bracket.

oh and i will be logging onto my telkom portal today to submit my cancellation. worst case if rain service degrades i will move to vumareach fibre which is in the testing phase currently in my area.

nad_isa

Okay - so i spent the late afternoon setting up the CPE outside. I removed an old dish and repurposed the bracket. I am by no means a handyman or DIYer so have my fair share of battle scars in the form of scrapes and cuts. Had a few Jou Ma Se Po#$H moments when i struggled to feed the LAN cable through an existing hole and couldnt get it right. ended up drilling another and sat on the roof in the dark mounting the brackets. did not spend too much time aligning of testing router settings as the dew on the roof started making things a bit dodgy.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-10 at 19.27.08.jpeg

ST_20200810.1912.JPG

ST_20200810.1913.JPG
ST_20200810.1914.JPG

Singal_Test_202020810.JPG

speeds about 350-450mbps down - 70-90 up. will mess around with settings in the week. my wifi is a bottle neck as getting 200-250mbps on my devices. not sure if its the router or devices. my latency is about 20ms - anything can do to improve this or is it just what it is?

@cavedog @powermzii @Evil-Twin @BewmBoy

powermzii

Expert Member
Okay - so i spent the late afternoon setting up the CPE outside. I removed an old dish and repurposed the bracket. I am by no means a handyman or DIYer so have my fair share of battle scars in the form of scrapes and cuts. Had a few Jou Ma Se Po#$H moments when i struggled to feed the LAN cable through an existing hole and couldnt get it right. ended up drilling another and sat on the roof in the dark mounting the brackets. did not spend too much time aligning of testing router settings as the dew on the roof started making things a bit dodgy.

View attachment 890494

View attachment 890496

View attachment 890498
View attachment 890500

View attachment 890502

speeds about 350-450mbps down - 70-90 up. will mess around with settings in the week. my wifi is a bottle neck as getting 200-250mbps on my devices. not sure if its the router or devices. my latency is about 20ms - anything can do to improve this or is it just what it is?

@cavedog @powermzii @Evil-Twin @BewmBoy
Now you're making me want to do the same and mount mine on the roof....

Impressive jump in speed there mate. What are you using for WiFi - I think I've forgotten if you mentioned it before?

nad_isa

Impressive jump in speed there mate. What are you using for WiFi - I think I've forgotten if you mentioned it before?

Still have to fine tune alignment and settings. Also need to do a proper job with the LAN cable - either outdoor cable or cable in conduit.

Setup is CPE via Cat5e to Asus DSL AC52U WAN Port. Using Wireless of the Asus router. 5Ghz to Samsung Galaxy s8 and s9 and older HP probook. According to Specs 5ghz on the asus is supposed to allow 433mbps..so not sure

nad_isa

Try it dude. is yours still inside?

powermzii

Expert Member
Try it dude. is yours still inside?
Still inside... Will see what I can do next weekend

In terms of WiFi that 433Mbps is always manufacturer best case, as WiFi is a shared medium 50% throughput is standard hence your 200 odd over WiFi.

What you could look into is more dedicated WiFi kit, be it mesh (tp link deco, Huawei q2 etc) or dedicated APs (ubiquiti unifi). Anything with a manufacturer rating above 1200 Mbps should do just fine.

In terms of latency I don't think there is much you can do there, that seems to be the range that rain 5G operates

nad_isa

OKay thanks. makes sense then.

been looking at unifi kit - want a UDM Pro, switch and few AP's but its overkill and pricy. also looking at Mikrotik rb4011.

powermzii

Expert Member
OKay thanks. makes sense then.

been looking at unifi kit - want a UDM Pro, switch and few AP's but its overkill and pricy. also looking at Mikrotik rb4011.
I've seen some of th ekit on sale on Carb for decent prices... Maybe keep a lookout there. UDM Pro WILL set you back but you can get decent savings on APs

nad_isa

I've seen some of th ekit on sale on Carb for decent prices... Maybe keep a lookout there. UDM Pro WILL set you back but you can get decent savings on APs

Thanks will have a look. let me know how the mounting goes and your results when you get to it. is there a thread for settings i can mess with for the CPE?