Rain and storm for Cpt

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Temps starting to crank up. 30 predicted for Saturday and 28 for Sunday. Seems Winter, like Elvis, has well and truly left the building.
More rain in the middle of next week (Wed 11th). It takes a very long time to make the transition from winter to summer in Cape Town. Its not that pleasant when the South Easter starts...

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
More rain in the middle of next week (Wed 11th). It takes a very long time to make the transition from winter to summer in Cape Town. Its not that pleasant when the South Easter starts...
i remember 5 or 6 yrs ago it flooded here in Somerset West in November, it took out a good portion of the Medi City Hospital, Main Rd was underwater and some peoples cars drowned !!!! So anything is still possible with the rain this year :)

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
i remember 5 or 6 yrs ago it flooded here in Somerset West in November, it took out a good portion of the Medi City Hospital, Main Rd was underwater and some peoples cars drowned !!!! So anything is still possible with the rain this year :)
*Mediclinic, no such thing as a medi city

Gordon_R

Executive Member

Captain Beer

Executive Member
You know you've lived in Somerset West for a long time if you still call it Medi City :thumbsup:

Gordon_R

Executive Member
A moderate intensity cold front will brush the SW-Cape tomorrow (Thurs 12th), bringing some rain, and sharply lower temperatures (light snow is likely over the mountains).

24h_totp_d2_safrica[20190913_0000].gif

tmax2m_042[20190913_0000].gif

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The various weather models sure differ in their interpretation of what is going to be happening this weekend. SAWS is indicating flash floods, and heavy rain. The pictures above say the front is just going to brush the cape, yet other pictures showing the front penetrating far into the Karoo.
Snow predicted by some models even as far as Carlton Heights in the Eastern Cape.

DWPTA

Expert Member
Been raining hard in Stellies sine 7am this morning. Started to rain around 3am'ish, but coming down in buckets.

Segg

Expert Member
Well it is stretching pretty far north :)

I reckon the weekend will be clear, unless a second front makes landfall

cf.JPG

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Well it is stretching pretty far north :)

I reckon the weekend will be clear, unless a second front makes landfall
Most of the cloud you see on that image is cirrus, which is high altitude, and does not produce rain.

The weekend will be clear, I have no idea where @Geoff.D got that information from...

Segg

Expert Member
Most of the cloud you see on that image is cirrus, which is high altitude, and does not produce rain.

The weekend will be clear, I have no idea where @Geoff.D got that information from...
Although it may be cirrus - it is still visually indicative of the front isn't it? :unsure:

Gordon_R

Executive Member

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Very bad internet access here in the karoo. Any idea what the weather is going to do in the next few days please for WC and the peninsula

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Very bad internet access here in the karoo. Any idea what the weather is going to do in the next few days please for WC and the peninsula
Weak cold-fronts today and tomorrow (Fri 20th and Sat 21st). Otherwise dry, and slowly warming up next week.

Some rain and rather cold for the Eastern Cape over the weekend (Sun 22nd).