Rain's mobile network quality is falling

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Rain's mobile network quality is falling

Rain’s mobile network quality has shown a big deterioration over the last three months, with the average download speed declining from 21.62Mbps to 17.91Mbps.

This was revealed in MyBroadband Insight’s Q2 2019 Mobile Network Quality Report, which was released this week.

werny

Expert Member
Getting around 30Mbps on my side, was always 40Mbps+, still not complaining though.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Speeds are good for me. Coverage in PE however is abysmal. I often have to switch to my primary sim for data.

S1ght

Expert Member
Those included graphs are terrible and misleading. They should be updated to have some kind of proper scale. All they do now is add an unconscious bias that the network is twice as slow.

phex

How Hipocrite of Shameel. Maybe if Vodacom could stop roaming on Rain then throughput will improve. What does he want Rain to do? Sell us a Gig for R149 so we can use the network less?

Last edited:

biometrics

Honorary Master
Bailed 2-3 weeks ago when it reached 50 Kbps. Yes a "K" not an "M". We're talking 90's dial up here.

biometrics

Honorary Master
I got a Telkom multi sim for my LTE account and popped that into my Rain router yesterday. So I'm now load balancing Telkom LTE on 1800 MHz and 2300 MHz. Daytime happiness again:

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have no doubt on my mind that this is Vodacom offloading more if it's data users onto the Rain network.

If Rain can offer uncapped for R250 just imagine Vodacom is still charging an arm and a leg for data but you are using that data on the Rain network actually.

At home my Vodacom sim is roaming on Rain the whole timeand I know this because when I go into the samsung service mode I see B38 as the LTE band and we know Vodacom does not have spectrum in that band only Rain has.

Joseph matane

I wonder how long it will take them to get all the towers to 5g ?
Especially the 2500 sites they spoke about in the past. Not sure but yesterday I noticed Vodacom 4G internet connectivity kept dropping at certain stage I had full 4 bars signal but hour late I was back to 2 to 3 bars signal. My guess is maybe Vodacom was busy with Telkom 4G roaming or Rain was updating it's antennas

eg2505

Honorary Master
well they wanted he numbers, now look what they got,
too many subscribers and not enough towers and cr@p support not worth a damn

I suppose they had to get their name well known, in that they succeeded, its in sustaining the growth that there is an issue.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not too bad. There is a culture is SA (especially from Vodacom) that data should be a premium service. I much prefer the focus to be on price otherwise I can't afford to buy data to begin with. I hope Rain doesn't change their focus from affordable data and that Vodacom doesn't infect their 5G network like it did their 4G network.

nomad440

Not only is this NOT a rumor, but a reality.

When we First migrated as "early adopters" we were perhaps one of 10 people in entire suburb. Data rates were amazingly fast. When I mean fast, I mean, 69mb/s+. With proud speedtest.net results all over our social media. Ping was perfect and consistent. We were not even at full signal strength

We moved a few months back, and right-off the bat we could tell we were in a Rain-congested area. WITH FULL SIGNAL STRENGTH And it has gotten progessively and extensively worse over the past 8 months. Eight months ago we were averaging 5-9mbps during the day and up to, but not including about 40mb/s in the evenings. 8 Months down the line and this has now dropped to a dismal 0.5-1.5 mbps during the sunlight hours and a wholly pathetic 10mbps at night. Around Midnight you can expect a boost to about 25mb/s however, that is unlikely. Rather expect 5-10mbps with ping-rates all over the map. It is now an embarrassment to have Wifi at home with Rain, we are back to worse-than-iBurst rates, and this is for prepaid, CAPPED subscriptions, not the unlimited plans. We had a record-router-reboot of 11 times this past Sunday, with us resorting to quitting Netflix (which is on it's lowest quality setting), and reverting to the DVD's, Blu-rays and Downloaded content on our external Hard Drives. These days our mobile devices add the little triangle to the WiFi logo as they literally are unsure if the Wifi has any internet access. A Skype call last night around 10pm, was interrupted 7 times do the bandwidth dropping out like a rusted dial-up connection. Yet signal strength to the tower is stellar and the Wifi router configured exactly as it was the day we received it.

It has now become the word most-often used with the f-word. "F*cking Rain" is now the favorite curse-word in our household. Used at least 3 times by 2 people over the course of an evening.

Rain must come clean with their network saturation issues. Get to grips with advising users wanting to join in already over-saturated areas that their performance will be below expectations and then some. And then some more. Just say it, Rain: "Sorry Mr Smith, we are oversubscribed in your area and cannot offer you a package that will meet with your expectations at this time." It the same as when ISP's say "We unfortunately do not provide fiber in your area at this time", when your neighbour next door has FIBER WITH THAT VERY SAME PROVIDER. It's no secret. Just say it.

We are now going Fibre, 50/50 uncapped, unshaped. So WHEN the ISP's throttle to 50%, we at least DO HAVE 25mbps. Although, having said that, as we have seen as well, the higher-priced packages are not nearly affected as much as the 10-25mbps subscriptions are.

Cheers Rain.