Rate Telkom

Rate Telkom based on value-for-money, network quality, and support.

• Excellent

Votes: 36 13.4%
  • Good

Votes: 77 28.7%
  • Average

Votes: 63 23.5%
  • Poor

Votes: 34 12.7%
  • Pathetic

Votes: 58 21.6%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We are doing a forum survey on how happy subscribers are with their ISP. Please rate Telkom in the poll above based on value-for-money, network quality, and general service satisfaction.

Also please tell us what Telkom does well, and where they can improve. Post your answers in this thread.

WesleyDB

I have telkom adsl and so far I haven't had any issues with the internet line itself, however getting the line installed is a nightmare. To say the staff are useless is an understatement. The internet service itself is good but if you ever have an issue don't expect help from any member of telkom staff.

nextstep

We are running on Telkom fiber (gated community), and there are no issues at all. It helps that the exchange is located in the clubhouse (supported by a generator, load shedding does not have any impact on the service).

Furthermore, Telkom managed to get additional capacity when two underseas cables were damaged recently. Interruption to Internet access was minimal.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Using Telkom at the moment (adsl + fiber) at work, and 3G/LTE at home, so far there have been no serious issues except when the overseas cable got a bit of a problem.

JCwhitewalker_2729

I have Telkom LTE 10+10gb - speed at home is good (ave 15-20mbps during off peak hours & 5-10 during peak hours) however best deal out there is Rain (R250pm for off peak uncapped LTE)

sigori

I have telkom vdsl (20 mbs) and have been down no more than about twice a year. The major problem right now is that the local exchange does not have battery backup, so I can't connect to the internet during loadshedding, even though the modem is powered up by my home battery backup.

Rolls1981

Have had a Telkom ADSL line for close on 2 years and have had no issues. When the lines are down, I log a call and it is resolved within 48 hours. If the call center was easier to get through too, that would be a help. However there are so many other ways of getting hold of Telkom, this does become a non-issue.

MikeShepstone

Telkom offers good rates. I changed from Vodacom after I heard that Telkom would be using the Vodacom backbone from June last year, but have been very disappointed in the quality of signal. In Joburg signal is generally quite good, but in Mpumalanga, where I used to get great Vodacom signal I get no Telkom!

barbm01

Mostly very good connectivity, but when there are issues, the diagnostics run from the help desk do not necessarily cover all possibilities and I have ended up paying the unnecessarily call out more times than I would like; based on the advice of the help desk. On the whole, though, more efficient than they used to be.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Ill have one Pathetic vote please.

After years of having a really good VDSL connection, the copper was stolen, which of course is not Telkoms fault, but the hassle that followed that was chaos. Initially it was said the lines were down, we phoned them daily to find out what was happening, eventually after 2 weeks they told us the lines were stolen, fair enough when will it be fixed? They said it will be replaced in a week or two, they are waiting for cable stock. A week passed and I followed up, eventually getting through to someone willing to help, I was told they closed the call because they are not replacing stolen lines, they are replacing them with fiber, I was like Oh sweet, finally fiber... Yeah no, checking on the plans for my area for fiber the guy said there are no plans at all, not even an indication when they plan to look at my area for coverage, but I am welcome to use LTE in the mean time, which will cost me double what my VDSL cost, be slower, oh and come with a 200GB cap, would I like to sign up for this service now?

Using their LTE at the moment due to having no other available options, I can without a doubt say it sucks, It's like pretending to have internet.

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
My Telkom LTE has served me very well. I say 9/10. Only thing is speeds could improve, In saying that though.. never had an issue on youtube or showmax with it.

pegpluscol

Service is not a good as it as it was since I retired Telkom official.
I receive a generous discount, so I'd rather not complain.

Hyperionsgw

I agree with alot of people on this site regarding the internet itself. However I can never stream in anything other than 360p because 90% of the time that's the only speed I can get. Its consistent (sometimes) but not fast enough. Also seeing as when I first started with telkom I could stream 1080p for the first 6months then they just dropped the speed. Also service delivery is s***

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Absolutely pathetic!!
I've only got a 4Mbps ADSL line with Telkom and I get less than 1/2 Mbps with almost no upload speed. They {Open Serve} is starting today to install the box units in each unit in our complex for 10Mbps Fibre..... I can already guarantee that once installed and a speed test gets done, it will probably sync at around 8Mbps, which is obviously not 10 Mbps as they say and what one has to pay for! Should this be the case with Telkom /Openserve, I'll ditch them in a flash and get the speed that I want and pay for, from another service provider!

rsfriend

I've seen a gradual decline in the quality of Telkom's ADSL solution over the last few years (network reliability and performance). At the same time the cost of the service keeps increasing and my area unfortunately has no option for fiber, where pricing appears to be more competitive. Telkom's support helpline is a joke: hard to get through and, when you do finally (assuming you have superhuman levels of patience), the operator is of little help.

nickyera

We are doing a forum survey on how happy subscribers are with their ISP. Please rate Telkom in the poll above based on value-for-money, network quality, and general service satisfaction.

Also please tell us what Telkom does well, and where they can improve. Post your answers in this thread.
Telkom’s HR department should be jacked up and select the right staff for front line and call centre staff, ensure that they can communicate professionalyclearly/understandable and provide them with proper training

nickyera

Telkom’s HR department should be jacked up and select the right staff for front line and call centre duties, ensure that they can communicate professionaly clearly/understandable and provide them with proper training

OtakuD

Very average performance, some days it's good but others nearly unusable. Also there is currently NO way I know of to report a fault with a LTE number (067)

Cannot wait to move over to fibre

D4N_CPT

Sh*t Service on an over-congested network. Useless call center and impossible to get rid off, unless you involve lawyers.