• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

*READ FIRST* MTN Network Status & Issues (DNS, Throughput and Latency)

PseudZ

Expert Member
Since the begining of the year i have had connection problems with mtn connecting to EDGE or 3G on my cell phone...
Countless times i have complained to MTN and a technician was sent to my house to test the signal. According to him the signal is fine which it does seem to be. I get 3G in most of the house except in my room where i use it the most, there i only get edge.
Sometimes the E sign or the 3G sign starts flashing then goes off, it wont stablize, other times it connects but doesnt receive data, i will open up my phones browser, and try open google home page then i check my connection manager and data gets sent out but no data gets received, i open multiple programs that use internet connection and they all send data but receive none.. I asked the techie if there could be a problem on the MTN server and he said its very unliklely, but it seems that way to me.
I do have an older sim card, the one before the 32k, but he informed me it wont make a differenve wat sim card i have.

Has anyone had this problem before or could perhaps shed some light on it?
Thanks

Dr_Data

Hi
Have you tested a different handset at the same location?
Also try forcing your handset to stay on 2G. Let me know what handset and I will tell you how.
Regards

PseudZ

Expert Member
I have locked it on 2G and 3G, still the same problem
My sister has the same problem but not as often as mine, her phone is only 2G

I have a Nokia 6120c
Is it a possiblity that it can be the sim card?

Dr_Data

Hi
Please can you PM me the following?
Name:
Cell Number
Alt Contact Number
Time you will be at the location with issues
Thanks

PseudZ

Expert Member
A technician has been to my house before as it only happens evenings when the networks busy.. so that wont help

Dr_Data

Hi
PM me the following:
Cell Number (being used for Data):
Area:
Alternate contact:
Name:
Error/Issues:

Ill get someone to assist.
Regards

PseudZ

Expert Member
This Is a New One

It's afternoon and mine and my sisters MTN GPRS/EDGE/3G isnt working, this is normally the case every evening from 7 onwards, not afternoon.. It starts to make a connection then just drops it.

Dr Data i did PM you twice, as you said i must, with my details and errors, but didn't hear more after that

Dr_Data

Hi
Sorry about that. Please PM me the following again:
Both Numbers
Area

I will setup traces to see. Once done I will let you know and we will look at the logs.

Regards
DD

Stego

I also have the same problem my grprs is not working on both my fones. I foned customer care but they told me that there is no sign that there is a problem with the towers. I tried getting new setting and installed them and still I have the same problem...doesn't connect at all and it's been two days now and I really need to do some cellphone banking.

Help!!!

Dr_Data

PM me your cell number you are using to connect. Together with your name and alternate contact number. I will assist

PseudZ

Expert Member
lol glad im not the only one. As im typing this, i cannot make a connection..
Dr Data it does work in the day, was just an exception on the 25-08-2008 when it didnt work in the day, its the evenings such as now, it wont ever make a connection, seems to me no reply from MTN servers as im trying to open Google hompage on my phones browser as well as an email app and in connection manager they are both sending data out which keeps climbing up, but received data stays on 0kB. Other times the EDGE sign comes on and before it stabalises it switches off never stabilising, over and over.

Thanks

lol glad im not the only one. As im typing this, i cannot make a connection..
Dr Data it does work in the day, was just an exception on the 25-08-2008 when it didnt work in the day, its the evenings such as now, it wont ever make a connection, seems to me no reply from MTN servers as im trying to open Google hompage on my phones browser as well as an email app and in connection manager they are both sending data out which keeps climbing up, but received data stays on 0kB. Other times the EDGE sign comes on and before it stabalises it switches off never stabilising, over and over.

Thanks
Odd that we are having the exact same problem on damn near opposite sides of the country. As I sit here typing this in the morning my connection is lightning fast, yet this evening the connection screen will not even show any signal at all. Does the network go to bed early?:D

PseudZ

Expert Member
Odd that we are having the exact same problem on damn near opposite sides of the country. As I sit here typing this in the morning my connection is lightning fast, yet this evening the connection screen will not even show any signal at all. Does the network go to bed early?:D
lol it does seem so, it is understandable that the network gets crowded during evenings, but to such an extent that no connection can be made the entire evening for several hours, is not acceptable. MTN should sort their problem out, but they probably not even aware that they having such a problem

Dr_Data

Hi

Ok let me rather do this so I have all the information. All the peeps having issues "after dark" :) PM me the following so I can collect the same data for investigation:

Cell Numbber using to connect:
Exact description of the issue:
Time that the issue occurs:
Error Messages if any:
Exact Location (Street address etc):
Handset/Modem Type:
2G or 3G:

I will try and assist with these ongoing issues.

Regards

nic777

Expert Member
MTN down briefly last nite? (Wed Aug-27)

Hi,

Did anyone notice that MTN was completely down last nite at about 23h00?

I was in Kenilworth area in Cape Town and a colleague in Claremont area experienced the same thing.

I was panicking that my new phone (N95 8Gig) was broken since my Nokia 6085 still showed full bars although it was probably down since same colleague also has a S40 nokia and she could not make calls.

Looks like the S40 devices display network reception differently?

ANYways, my real question is does anyone know what happened? Did it happen to anyone else?