Recent gaming ping issues.

PK

I think I've narrowed the latency issues down to geographical area. Myself and a lot of the JHB northern suburbs gamers seem to be experiencing very random intervals of high pings. These can occur all day or sometimes in the middle of the night. Other days it is clear sailing. This problem has only developed in the last 3 weeks or so. An example of what happens is my usual ping of 15/16 jumps to around 100/120 and literally swings between the two extremes for an unpredictable period of time. I've been playing many times and seen it suddenly stabilise, only to return to chaos a few minutes later. This is extremely frustrating. I have tested the ping on WA, SAIX and IS accounts. They all do it.

Are there other areas that have been experiencing this? Please note this is not ISP related and it's not a constant bad ping. This is also a recent development only. Post your details like mine below and let's see if a picture develops.

- 4mbps line in Randburg area.

goswald

I have noticed it as well, last night while playing BFBC2.

Over the weekend I had no problems, but last night was a nightmare, and also tested different accounts. I'm live right by the Coca-Cola Dome. And my brother who lives more towards Krugersdorp had no issues. I'm also on a 4mbps.

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
All I will say is: good luck with that. I've had that for a year now and do you think Telkom can fix it ? Good luck !!!

Its extremely frustrating, isn't it.

ToAsTeD

Expert Member
I've been having issues with pings with CSS as well , this entire week in the day time the pings are 100+, evenings are alright goes to +-50. Im about 1200 KM from JHB. Plettenberg bay.

Ghxst

I have been experiencing similar issues for the past few months, this past week has been worse than ever.
Doing a ping test to www.google.com I was getting pings of up to 2000ms, this continued all weekend long, my ISP and telkom insist that the line is fine and nothing is wrong.

I stay in Centurion and on a 384 line.
iSat ISP (tried with my Axxess and Afrihost accounts and same issue persists)

PK

There has been a suggestion that the unshaped accounts don't get nailed by this latency which makes sense. Are there any gamers with unshaped accounts that can say otherwise?

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
There has been a suggestion that the unshaped accounts don't get nailed by this latency which makes sense. Are there any gamers with unshaped accounts that can say otherwise?

In my case it made no difference.

Ghxst

I was originally on a shaped connection and changed to a semi-shaped (as advised by my ISP), this made no difference when the line was unshaped after hours.
Whats annoying about this issue is that latency isn't always ridiculously high, some days (to weeks) can be perfect - avg ms of 250 but suddenly can change to the ~2000ms mark and stay that way for days at a time.

goswald

I had even more problems last night. Pings were high, and browsing really slow. Not to sure if it has anything to do with end-of-the-month.

On the weekend my line was perfect. No issues.

biltong

I had even more problems last night. Pings were high, and browsing really slow. Not to sure if it has anything to do with end-of-the-month.

On the weekend my line was perfect. No issues.

Same.

I actually just made another thread about this. Except I live in kempton park.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
In Durban and have been having this crud for about a week now. Last night was especially bad, I also noticed a lot of other COD players on high pings too. Isp says it's Telskum, Telskum say's it's the Isp and back and forth they go ...... meanwhile the problem persists.

CrzWaco

Expert Member
Here in kimberley also notice it.

Using semi shaped or local only accounts and all games pings have gone up.

COD about igame 20+- sgs 40+-
HON about 40-100+-
BC2 up by Igame 20+- sgs 40+-

Ilitirit

4mbps in Cape Town, CBD

I getter better pings on SAIX though. eg. I play SFIV against a guy in JHB regularly who's on a 384kbps line. It always gave me a 4-bar connection rating against him to indicate the ping (which is typical for SFIV), but for the last two weeks my connection with him dropped to 2 bars, and the lag became unbearable. However, when I switch to my SAIX account the connection rating jumps back to 4 bars.

teRRRier

I live in CT and normally get pings of around 35 to JHB on the Crysis servers. For the last two nights it's been averaging 110. It appeared to affect non-Jhb players only though - they were all still on pings of 10 - 15. I'm on a 3MB unshaped line (downgraded from 4Mb because it wasn't stable enough). Seems to a widespread problem.

freaker

I must say my pingtimes to the wow servers in europe has been better than ever, since i went to 4 meg uncapped from afrihost, but last night my pings spiked at 2300 and stayed there for about 10-15 min. Then went back down to its usual 300 . OFC game became totally unplayable in that time. ( would love to know who to thank for my ICC wipe )

Im in cape town.