shelvpower

Hi Guys im from Mosselbay and currently I have MTN uncapped internet, but the problem is my download and upload speed is useless. Download speed averages around 0.1 MBps and it is even difficult and frustrating to browse normal web pages. I have been a avid online gamer but due to other responsibilities I unfortunately quit gaming.

Im looking to start online gaming again on PS4 and PC. At the moment the games will be BF3 and 4.
Im looking to get a new Internet package but due to weak 3G signal im looking at ADSL. I also download a few torrents each month (never exceeding 5-10GB) and ofcourse the odd youtube video or 10.

Ive been looking at the MWEB uncapped 2mbps line and the 1mbps line(premium). First of all I dont really know what the difference is between the two of them except for the line speed. I do have a telkom line at the moment (house phone)

At the moment I want to know the differences between the 2 above mentioned lines and then what you guys will recommend for me and will I be able to connect via WiFi with my phone to the ADSL modem?

Thanks in advance
S

shelvpower

oh and will I be able to connect "wirelessly" to the ADSL via my PS4 or must I be connected via a cable?

ENIAC

If you have wifi you wont need a cable ( for your ps4 and any other wirless device ) . The difference between the 1mbps and 2mbps packages is 1. The speed obviously , 2. The amount of bandwidth you can use before they throttle you , and well the end user experience .

ENIAC

Oh , and sorry for not finishing my post ... I reccomend you read trough the forums to see the best ISP based on user satisfaction . And as for speed , that depends on your needs , if you want a page to load "instantly" go for higher speed , and if you just want useable internet go for the speed that fits you.

shelvpower

So what is the difference between a 2mb adsl uncpapped line and then the 2mb adsl premium line

MGRobinson

So what is the difference between a 2mb adsl uncpapped line and then the 2mb adsl premium line

MWEB throttle their uncapped products if you go over a certain threshold. The only difference between the two accounts is the limit before they start throttling you. As far as I know the 2 Mbps uncapped is somewhere around 70 GB and premium is 200 GB per 30 days rolling window. You can PM MWEB Guy for more info.

You may also want to check out Telkom

Afrihost's and Web Africa's capped products - sometimes you may not require hundreds of GB's and capped products always perform better than uncapped.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

As was previously mentioned, standard throttles you at 70GBs, while on premium you get 200GBs.

shelvpower

So will the 2mbps premium line be sufficient if I download lets say 10GB worth of torrents each month and lets say play 2 hours of bf4 online each day? Me being a ex gamer I really dont remember how much data I used each month for gaming.Will the 4mbps premium line fit my needs better?
And also is MWEB's ADSL a 2 year contract?

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
So will the 2mbps premium line be sufficient if I download lets say 10GB worth of torrents each month and lets say play 2 hours of bf4 online each day? Me being a ex gamer I really dont remember how much data I used each month for gaming.Will the 4mbps premium line fit my needs better?

I say rather get 4Meg standard to start off with, since that will be more than enough if you only use 10GBs a month.

MGRobinson

10 GB very little and gaming doesn't take much data at all, the biggest part to gaming would be any updates that you have to download.

I would definitely recommend a capped account from Web Africa, Afrihost or Axxess as you will get better speeds and you will save quite a bit of money.

If you only want to consider MWEB, then the standard account would suffice as Chevron has mentioned, you can always upgrade if you find yourself using too much data.

shelvpower

what modem/router (dont know the correct term) will you advise... will the router be compatible with any of the ISP's and will the quality of the router affect my internet speeds

shelvpower

Ran into a bit of a problem. .. I have telkom landline but apparently Il need to activate the adsl part of the line aswell and that will cost about another r299 if im not mistaking.
So the my Adsl with afrihost will be R299 adsl activation and something like R130 for the telkom landline and R200 for the Data bundle at Afri Host.
that equals to around R630 a month...
That is a little bit over my spending limit.

If I take the standard mweb 4mb uncapped line and transfer my telkom line over to Mweb, will I still need to pay the adsl activation fee each month?

At the moment I prefer the capped account from Afri Host but due to the adsl line activation fee each month it is going to bend the bank a little bit.

At the moment Im clueless as to what to do.
Any help will be highly appreciated

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Ran into a bit of a problem. .. I have telkom landline but apparently Il need to activate the adsl part of the line aswell and that will cost about another r299 if im not mistaking.
So the my Adsl with afrihost will be R299 adsl activation and something like R130 for the telkom landline and R200 for the Data bundle at Afri Host.
that equals to around R630 a month...
That is a little bit over my spending limit.

If I take the standard mweb 4mb uncapped line and transfer my telkom line over to Mweb, will I still need to pay the adsl activation fee each month?

At the moment I prefer the capped account from Afri Host but due to the adsl line activation fee each month it is going to bend the bank a little bit.

At the moment Im clueless as to what to do.
Any help will be highly appreciated

If you're getting confused look at the bundle prices from the ISPs. Usually if your ISP manages your adsl they give you a discount. Then you only have to add the R130 land line fee.

Look at the MWEB price where it says data+line:
http://www.mweb.co.za/productspricing/2/Home/adsl/UncappedADSL.aspx

So for 4Meg standard from MWEB it'll be R449plus your phone line.

Edwardman

so uncapped packages are shaped? and how much data would one pull off an ucapped account?

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
A 2 or 4 meg line should suffice. Pick one of the major ISP (WebAfrica, afrihost, mweb etc). I'd start with 2 meg since 2>4 upgrades tend to be smooth.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
so uncapped packages are shaped? and how much data would one pull off an ucapped account?

That's like asking how long is a piece of string. Which ISP? Which package? Which line speed? Could be anywhere between 40GB and 2TB.