[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

KOPITE

Executive Member
The shield runs Android TV - should work fine. I have two boxes with "normal" android and they are running fine. Make sure you have the latest version of the addon and go into settings and install widevine before logging in.

Mine is working fine. I was runnnig on an old version 0.24.4 but upgraded to latest 0.25.3 and working fine on my windows pc
Mine is running a rooted full android firmware and using Magisk.

Bikerbob

Mine is working fine. I was runnnig on an old version 0.24.4 but upgraded to latest 0.25.3 and working fine on my windows pc
Working on libreelec, but not working on pc with Linux and chrome.

enerdude

Expert Member
Mine is running a rooted full android firmware and using Magisk.
Should not be an issue running Magisk root manager. Only the dstv now app sometimes check for root and wont run but you can use root hide in magisk manager, the kodi addon should not have any issue. I am also running magisk on my one chinese box without issues and also to make the box google certified lol so I can run the dstv now android app as well

Working on libreelec, but not working on pc with Linux and chrome.
Yeah as said in posts above it seems linux is currently having widevine issues.

maboku

Unfortunately my DSTV now app is no longer working. I used the latest update, cleared cache...downgraded widevine and still cant playback.

Last edited:

enerdude

Expert Member
Unfortunately my DSTV now app is no longer working. I used the latest update, cleared cache...downgraded widevine and still cant login back to the app.
I guess you mean the dstv now addon. Also the addon does not have cache you can clear. And yes if you read the posts above you will notice the addon is currently only running on android platform, so I guess you are using it on windows / openelec / libreelec

maboku

I guess you mean the dstv now addon. Also the addon does not have cache you can clear. And yes if you read the posts above you will notice the addon is currently only running on android platform, so I guess you are using it on windows / openelec / libreelec
Yes I'm on Libreelec 18.2

Bikerbob

Today I decided to try Lineage OS on my Pi3. Managed to get the current DSTV app side loaded. Played for a while till I got the error this device is not certified. Uninstalled and reinstalled and it works again. I read that you need an older version of the app.

Then I decided to try Kodi. When I try to play I get a warning about widevine. Starts playing but audio only :( Anyone else tried this?

enerdude

Expert Member
Today I decided to try Lineage OS on my Pi3. Managed to get the current DSTV app side loaded. Played for a while till I got the error this device is not certified. Uninstalled and reinstalled and it works again. I read that you need an older version of the app.

Then I decided to try Kodi. When I try to play I get a warning about widevine. Starts playing but audio only :( Anyone else tried this?
Not tried lineage yet but did a quick google - seems people are having same problems with netflix on kodi on the Lineage OS (see wrxtasy's post, Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:27 pm)

As far as the dstv app is concerned it checks the playstore if your device is certified and if not it will only play once and then you will have to clear data / reinstall the app again, so not worth it. It has the same symtoms as cheap chinese android boxes that are uncertified. The older version 1.42 that worked till recently on uncertified boxes are also not working anymore.

WiseCrack

Expert Member
I really hope when @js9241698 is back from taking a break that he can find a solution to this problem as the add on really did work so well.

In the meantime I'm stuck using the Kodi addon on Android ,but for some weird reason my cheap s912 tv box is only allowing me to stream @ 720p. The instant I select 1080p within the addon the picture freezes. This is on 100/100 ftth.

enerdude

Expert Member
I really hope when @js9241698 is back from taking a break that he can find a solution to this problem as the add on really did work so well.

In the meantime I'm stuck using the Kodi addon on Android ,but for some weird reason my cheap s912 tv box is only allowing me to stream @ 720p. The instant I select 1080p within the addon the picture freezes. This is on 100/100 ftth.
What happens if you change the settings to "best" and start a channel? Also try changing the hardware acceleration under kodi settings and see if it makes a difference.

enerdude

Expert Member
Had quite a good bash and can't get their license server to accept the license request from kodi.
I suspect something would need to be changed with Inputstream Adaptive.
Thanks for your input. Any idea why the addon works in kodi for android or is the IA addon different in android?

BurgBoy

Should not be an issue running Magisk root manager. Only the dstv now app sometimes check for root and wont run but you can use root hide in magisk manager, the kodi addon should not have any issue. I am also running magisk on my one chinese box without issues and also to make the box google certified lol so I can run the dstv now android app as well

Yeah as said in posts above it seems linux is currently having widevine issues.
Enerdude any instructions/video on how to make a box Google certified?

enerdude

Expert Member
Enerdude any instructions/video on how to make a box Google certified?
Nope no videos. Each box is different and you need special firmware and other software which is not straightforward to do. I usually charge people R200 to make their boxes certified.

BurgBoy

Nope no videos. Each box is different and you need special firmware and other software which is not straightforward to do. I usually charge people R200 to make their boxes certified.
I will PM you tonight when i get home after work

js9241698

OK, I've had a long chat with the IA dev.

Looks like dsTV are now enforcing Widevine VMP.
IA does not support this and it seems it's not possible to.
It would require Kodi to get verified via google and get a cert.
Which they probably won't do and google probably wouldn't accept it.

Android does not use VMP and hence why it still works.
However, they do have something similar that they could implement in the future which would also break Kodi on Android.

I suspect more and more services will start enforcing VMP and break a lot more add-ons going forward.

So, for now - this add-on will only work on Kodi in Android.

Maybe if enough "Linux users" complain to dstv they will turn off enforcing VMP

Last edited:

leonb

OK, I've had a long chat with the IA dev.

Looks like dsTV are now enforcing Widevine VMP.
IA does not support this and it seems it's not possible to.
It would require Kodi to get verified via google and get a cert.
Which they probably won't do and google probably wouldn't accept it.

Android does not use VMP and hence why it still works.
However, they do have something similar that they could implement in the future which would also break Kodi on Android.

I suspect more and more services will start enforcing VMP and break a lot more add-ons going forward.

So, for now - this add-on will only work on Kodi in Android.

Maybe if enough "Linux users" complain to dstv they will turn off enforcing VMP
O well. Time to cancel my DSTV subscription then, and start looking for "alternative" streams.

WiseCrack

Expert Member
Thanks for your work and time you put into this @js9241698 it's really appreciated seems like this is the end of the road for us who do not own google certified boxes.

Time to save up for that Nvidia shield TV...

Last edited: