[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

martin

Expert Member
Time to save up for that Nvidia shield TV...
The Nvidia Shield is really awesome and will serve you well. I'm also saving up for one but I bought a 4K Firestick to use in the meantime and can highly recommend it. It's price often drops to $25 on Amazon. It's really easy to sideload Kodi and every addon I tested on it works without an issue (including the DSTV Now addon). It's really responsive too as long as you stick to the 'lighter' Kodi themes. I stick to the default Kodi theme which works really well on the Firestick. Its main drawback is the lack of storage space but since I only stream this is not an issue for my use case. There are also ways to get it connected to an external hard drive if you really need more space using purpose-built USB cables.

Tinuva

The Magician
OK, I've had a long chat with the IA dev.

Looks like dsTV are now enforcing Widevine VMP.
IA does not support this and it seems it's not possible to.
It would require Kodi to get verified via google and get a cert.
Which they probably won't do and google probably wouldn't accept it.

Android does not use VMP and hence why it still works.
However, they do have something similar that they could implement in the future which would also break Kodi on Android.

I suspect more and more services will start enforcing VMP and break a lot more add-ons going forward.

So, for now - this add-on will only work on Kodi in Android.

Maybe if enough "Linux users" complain to dstv they will turn off enforcing VMP
So this was DSTV's answer to this addon. I highly doubt they will remove this new enforcement.

WiseCrack

Expert Member
The Nvidia Shield is really awesome and will serve you well. I'm also saving up for one but I bought a 4K Firestick to use in the meantime and can highly recommend it. It's price often drops to $25 on Amazon. It's really easy to sideload Kodi and every addon I tested on it works without an issue (including the DSTV Now addon). It's really responsive too as long as you stick to the 'lighter' Kodi themes. I stick to the default Kodi theme which works really well on the Firestick. Its main drawback is the lack of storage space but since I only stream this is not an issue for my use case. There are also ways to get it connected to an external hard drive if you really need more space using purpose-built USB cables.
Thanks for the reply my main reason for wanting to get the Shield is for the audio formats it includes including TrueHD and DTS-MA etc. That and I don't think I will ever need another streaming device.

With coreelec and my cheap chinese TV box I had the best of both worlds, but not being able to stream DSTV now is a big bummer for me.

KOPITE

Executive Member
Should not be an issue running Magisk root manager. Only the dstv now app sometimes check for root and wont run but you can use root hide in magisk manager, the kodi addon should not have any issue. I am also running magisk on my one chinese box without issues and also to make the box google certified lol so I can run the dstv now android app as well

Yeah as said in posts above it seems linux is currently having widevine issues.
I have hidden the playstore, kodi and dstv app in Magisk hide and both is still not working. Kodi tries to play and then nothing happens. The dstv now app just pops up with licence error.

When I run Magisk it says true, meaning it's making it "certified"

I'm gonna try the dstv app on my other shield and see if it works. Otherwise I'll just put the Android TV firmware back on it the box.

KOPITE

Executive Member
So this was DSTV's answer to this addon. I highly doubt they will remove this new enforcement.
Instead of creating more platforms to access the service, they actually spiting themselves by cutting off their own nose. It's actually pathetic if you think about it.

I'm sure someone will come up with code bypassing the Google certification and making any box seems like a "shield" or certified box.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Happy to have "lost" DSTV with a 4K Fire TV Stick, could not be bothered with Kodi, so bye bye DSTV ... , your service has, just become too much of an effort to use, on my device of choice. No regrets.

enerdude

Expert Member
Happy to have "lost" DSTV with a 4K Fire TV Stick, could not be bothered with Kodi, so bye bye DSTV ... , your service has, just become too much of an effort to use, on my device of choice. No regrets.
So why not sideload kodi with the dstv addon - it still works on android based devices?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
So why not sideload kodi with the dstv addon - it still works on android based devices?
I have no desire to run Kodi, in the first place, secondly, neither, an addons to Kodi, for which DSTV should provide an APK. It is not as if an Amazon TV stick, is a cheap Chinese box. I have found suitable replacement sources for my family's entertainment, yes they are not free, but that is not an issue.

They work on my Fire TV Stick, perfectly. I see no reason why I must break my balls to support a bunch of idiots, because "local is lekker" - bulldwang.

enerdude

Expert Member
I have no desire to run Kodi, in the first place, secondly, neither, an addons to Kodi, for which DSTV should provide an APK. It is not as if an Amazon TV stick, is a cheap Chinese box. I have found suitable replacement sources for my family's entertainment, yes they are not free, but that is not an issue.

They work on my Fire TV Stick, perfectly. I see no reason why I must break my balls to support a bunch of idiots, because "local is lekker" - bulldwang.
Well I use someone else's account and even though they use all device slots on the app, I can still use the kodi addon as it does not take up a slot ;)

Not much hassle loading kodi and watching dstv for free ;)

jones123

Well I use someone else's account and even though they use all device slots on the app, I can still use the kodi addon as it does not take up a slot ;)

And now DStv knows this too

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

No, not at all it just breaks, every couple of weeks or months, they can keep it.

enerdude

Expert Member
No, not at all it just breaks, every couple of weeks or months, they can keep it.
Well actually it is a third party addon supported by someone in their free time, so that is expected.
I have made my chinese boxes certified, so I run the android apk during the times the addon is offline, so yes, best of both worlds for me personally.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Well actually it is a third party addon supported by someone in their free time, so that is expected.
I have made my chinese boxes certified, so I run the android apk during the times the addon is offline, so yes, best of both worlds for me personally.
I understand perfectly, but at my age, I no longer have the desire, to fiddle with things to make them work. If they work great, if they don't, I just junk them. No desire to keep fiddling, to keep things working.

There is no good reason to not have an Amazon Fire TV app, in the Amazon App Store. No app, sorry, not my problem.

enerdude

Expert Member
I understand perfectly, but at my age, I no longer have the desire, to fiddle with things to make them work. If they work great, if they don't, I just junk them. No desire to keep fiddling, to keep things working.

There is no good reason to not have an Amazon Fire TV app, in the Amazon App Store. No app, sorry, not my problem.
I hear what you saying but its all about economics here. Not all devices can get certified as its sometimes about hardware capabilities or maybe about volumes expected to be sold of a particular device, you usually pay more for a certified device (nvidia shield the ultimate example but then again a mi box 3 does the job just fine), all your choice how much you want to spend.

uride

Hi,
Thank goodness I found the forum. Have been trying to load DSTV
on Kodi.
I am using Raspberry PI 4 with Rasbian loaded.
It loads but give error just before progam starts running.
The exact words are; Sorry, this channel is not available
on your package.
I am on the top package.
When using Kodi, it just give error and does not start.
I am new to Raspbian and Linux, I have just retired and
this is my new toy.
Just want to mention the PI box worked before christmas.
I want to make Kodi like a media centre.
Thanks for all you efforts.
Much appreciated.

enerdude

Expert Member
Hi,
Thank goodness I found the forum. Have been trying to load DSTV
on Kodi.
I am using Raspberry PI 4 with Rasbian loaded.
It loads but give error just before progam starts running.
The exact words are; Sorry, this channel is not available
on your package.
I am on the top package.
When using Kodi, it just give error and does not start.
I am new to Raspbian and Linux, I have just retired and
this is my new toy.
I want to make Kodi like a media centre.
Thanks for all you efforts.
Much appreciated.
If you took the time to read the last 2 pages you would see the dstv addon only runs on kodi for android at the moment.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Will this add-on work within Kodi on the SPMC fork ?
Does the Android add-on count as a device or not ?

Want to run the add-on on an old Samsung tab ( stuck on Android 4.2.2 ) which can't download Dstv Now or Showmax from the Playstore during loadshedding maybe or even when on holiday.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I hear what you saying but its all about economics here. Not all devices can get certified as its sometimes about hardware capabilities or maybe about volumes expected to be sold of a particular device, you usually pay more for a certified device (nvidia shield the ultimate example but then again a mi box 3 does the job just fine), all your choice how much you want to spend.
I am prepared to pay for a Mi-Box, Telkom LIT TV box or Emantic, for hassle free use. If I did not need NetFlix, a Skyworth box would have been fine. Might even pay for an Apple TV box, but an Nvidia Shield, as good as it is is just a bridge too far.

End of the day, you get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less. I am prepared to pay a little extra, too avoid, "issues" , that I would rather avoid.

When I get home, I want to switch on the box, and it must work. Not oops, it's that time again Google for an hour or so, for a fix, sort out. Result - my nice restful evening is gone. These days, I value my time, a lot more than when I was younger.

enerdude

Expert Member
I am prepared to pay for a Mi-Box, Telkom LIT TV box or Emantic, for hassle free use. If I did not need NetFlix, a Skyworth box would have been fine. Might even pay for an Apple TV box, but an Nvidia Shield, as good as it is is just a bridge too far.

End of the day, you get what you pay for, nothing more, nothing less. I am prepared to pay a little extra, too avoid, "issues" , that I would rather avoid.

When I get home, I want to switch on the box, and it must work. Not oops, it's that time again Google for an hour or so, for a fix, sort out. Result - my nice restful evening is gone. These days, I value my time, a lot more than when I was younger.
Sure then better to go for something like the ematic, same specs as a mi box 3 but has an ethernet port which will save your precious time if you have a bad wifi signal because you can use a cable without having to buy a usb hub / lan combo. I personally think all apple products is way too expensive for what you get. I know people say all apple products operate seamlessly but I am still not prepared to pay so much more personally.