[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

enerdude

Expert Member
Will this add-on work within Kodi on the SPMC fork ?
Does the Android add-on count as a device or not ?

Want to run the add-on on an old Samsung tab ( stuck on Android 4.1.2 ) which can't download Dstv Now or Showmax from the Playstore during loadshedding maybe or even when on holiday.
Nope SPMC fork is based on kodi 17. You need kodi 18 or above that includes the inputstream adaptive addon (widevine) for the addon to work.
As said a few posts above, no, it does not count as a device.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Nope SPMC fork is based on kodi 17. You need kodi 18 or above that includes the inputstream adaptive addon (widevine) for the addon to work.
Thanks.

Ah crap, so much for DstvNow or Showmax on the said tablet then. Seems Showmax only supports Android 4.4.0 and higher , etc.

Will look into if possible to upgrade the tablet from the installed Android 4.2.2.

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
Reading this VMP stuff quick, but I don't see why this can't be done on Linux.

For example, Chrome on Linux will support VDM with Widevine CDM as long as you on a new-enough version of Chrome.

So the question is, why can't IA be upgraded to support a newer version of Widevine CDM with VMP support.

I do understand that VMP verify the application, so that might be the catch. I do however think there could be a way, maybe just not easy.

Edit: Ok I see it requires the Kodi.exe on windows or the bin on Linux to be certified. But, there is another widevine proxy in the wild that allows bypassing VDM and it works, but looks like the Kodi guys not interested in that.

Another fact, DSTV didn't enable VDM enforcement, Google change the default setting for this from disabled to enabled in a newer recent version which DSTV upgraded to.

Last edited:

enerdude

Expert Member
When I run Magisk it says true, meaning it's making it "certified"
That is not the right way to check for proper certification. I have certified lots of chinese boxes and the only way is by opening google play store and press the menu top left and go to settings, scroll down to bottom and there it should state 'Device is certified'

Attachments

joshuatree

Expert Member
Just a follow up question.

Does it count as one of the two simultaneous streams that are allowed with each account , or does it not get picked up ?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Sure then better to go for something like the ematic, same specs as a mi box 3 but has an ethernet port which will save your precious time if you have a bad wifi signal because you can use a cable without having to buy a usb hub / lan combo. I personally think all apple products is way too expensive for what you get. I know people say all apple products operate seamlessly but I am still not prepared to pay so much more personally.
I agree with you on the Apple products, and I have a USB Network hub, for setting up RPi's.

enerdude

Expert Member
I agree with you on the Apple products, and I have a USB Network hub, for setting up RPi's.
Yeah RPis are nice devices to experiment with. You saying earlier your time is valuable I would never have said you spend time with it though.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I've resorted to buying a cheap 2nd-hand Chromecast and casting from the DSTV Now app to it.

Bloutoria

Hi guys, first post here. Has anybody noticed how the Kodi Netflix Add-on works? It downloads a full chrome os distribution and then uses it to get to the DRM parts. Not knowledgeable enough to understand everything but worth a bash?

I see this page has some info on it: Using Chrome in Kodi

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Yeah RPis are nice devices to experiment with. You saying earlier your time is valuable I would never have said you spend time with it though.
Have a Son who needed a learning platform ... , and RPi fit the bill ... , and as you said, they are nice devices, if you need to fiddle, not that I appreciate that need.

enerdude

Expert Member
Hi guys, first post here. Has anybody noticed how the Kodi Netflix Add-on works? It downloads a full chrome os distribution and then uses it to get to the DRM parts. Not knowledgeable enough to understand everything but worth a bash?

I see this page has some info on it: Using Chrome in Kodi
There is a proper netlix addon that works better than trying to install chrome and navigating it that way.
It is on github and you can download the repository here. Once the repo is installed, just install the netflix from the repo.

Note that on non netflix certified boxes you will get max 540p resolution.

enerdude

Expert Member
Another fact, DSTV didn't enable VDM enforcement, Google change the default setting for this from disabled to enabled in a newer recent version which DSTV upgraded to.
Interesting because people are always so paranoid about multichoice wanting to break stuff that people find useful.
I mean a lot of android boxes gets sold and people are prosecuted major time in countries like the UK. I'm sure if dstv wanted to throw a spanner in the works they would have made android the first OS to stop working with the dstv addon and not windows / linux first.

deesef

Expert Member
I'm sure if dstv wanted to throw a spanner in the works they would have made android the first OS to stop working with the dstv addon and not windows / linux first.
Luckily Windows was not totally cut off (yet). Dstv Now can still be accessed via Chrome or Opera, even though there were some annoying gremlins over the last few days.

deesef

Expert Member
I'm sure if dstv wanted to throw a spanner in the works they would have made android the first OS to stop working with the dstv addon and not windows / linux first.
Luckily Windows was not totally cut off (yet). Dstv Now can still be accessed via Chrome or Opera, even though there were some annoying gremlins over the last few days.

enerdude

Expert Member
They wont cut of windows, lots of people stream in their browsers.
Even linux will work with the latest version of chrome / widevine.
In this thread it is about kodi and the dstv addon.

js9241698

I dont think linux will work with even the latest Chrome.
VMP does not support linux

As for the netflix downloading a whole OS, that is just simple to try to avoid "pissing off google" by hosting the binary somewhere. Matt hosts it so his addons can quickly download a 8MB file instead of a 800MB OS.

Also note:
VMP is different to Widevine Levels (L1, L3)

Disney allows L3 devices (Kodi, lots of android devices) but gives lower resolution.
Disney does not enforce VMP as that would break Linux browsers.

DStv allows L3 devices with full resolution.
DStv does enforce VMP which breaks Linux browsers (and kodi)

Last edited:

enerdude

Expert Member
I dont think linux will work with even the latest Chrome.
VMP does not support linux

As for the netflix downloading a whole OS, that is just simple to try to avoid "pissing off google" by hosting the binary somewhere. Matt hosts it so his addons can quickly download a 8MB file instead of a 800MB OS.

Also note:
VMP is different to Widevine Levels (L1, L3)

Disney allows L3 devices (Kodi, lots of android devices) but gives lower resolution.
Disney does not enforce VMP as that would break Linux browsers.

DStv allows L3 devices with full resolution.
DStv does enforce VMP which breaks Linux browsers (and kodi)
Knowing all the linux opensource people out there I am sure there will soon be a workaround to get support on linux. Guess we will have to wait and see.

xbmcfan

Knowing all the linux opensource people out there I am sure there will soon be a workaround to get support on linux. Guess we will have to wait and see.
For the moment I'm running Windows Chrome through the Wine emulator on Linux and it's working.
But the video freezes every 20 seconds for a second which is annoying.
Maybe someone will be able to tweak some settings to make it better or Multichoice gets a wakeup call later this year.