[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

martin

Expert Member
Yes, pity this is dead. Kodi is the one system that does proper auto frame rate switching. So for me, DSTV on Android looks like ****.

It still cannot do proper frame rate switching. So you are watching 25fps content being output at 60fps, with inevitable judder.

These two statements seem to be contradicting each other or is my reading comprehension failing me here (very likely)?

enerdude

Expert Member
These two statements seem to be contradicting each other or is my reading comprehension failing me here (very likely)?

Yes agreed its contradicting. I think what he tried to say is that kodi adjusts the 25fps channels you stream to 60fps (60hz) which is a common frequency on monitors / tvs with hdmi connection and that you don't have control over that which then causes judder.

This is incorrect as per my previous post as there is settings you can adjust in kodi's settings.

leonb

Yes agreed its contradicting. I think what he tried to say is that kodi adjusts the 25fps channels you stream to 60fps (60hz) which is a common frequency on monitors / tvs with hdmi connection and that you don't have control over that which then causes judder.

This is incorrect as per my previous post as there is settings you can adjust in kodi's settings.

Ok. What I was trying to say: I usually run Kodi with Libreeelc. Here auto frame rate switching works. So if I watch 25p content Libreelec/Kodi will adjust output to my TV to 50HZ, and if I watch 24p content output will be adjusted to 24HZ. Smooth playback.

On my Android box (Telkom LIT - last time I checked) Kodi cannot adjcut the Android box's output to the TV, even with the settings applied in Kodi. The output stays 60HZ for all content., i.e. judder for 24p content and also judder for 25p/50p content. Same with the DSTV Now app, Showmax, Netflix etc. Some of the latest TV's can correct this, but most (like mine) cannot. Then again, some people are not bothered with this judder, or even see it.

martin

Expert Member
Ok. What I was trying to say: I usually run Kodi with Libreeelc. Here auto frame rate switching works. So if I watch 25p content Libreelec/Kodi will adjust output to my TV to 50HZ, and if I watch 24p content output will be adjusted to 24HZ. Smooth playback.

On my Android box (Telkom LIT - last time I checked) Kodi cannot adjcut the Android box's output to the TV, even with the settings applied in Kodi. The output stays 60HZ for all content., i.e. judder for 24p content and also judder for 25p/50p content. Same with the DSTV Now app, Showmax, Netflix etc. Some of the latest TV's can correct this, but most (like mine) cannot. Then again, some people are not bothered with this judder, or even see it.

Thanks, that cleared it up for me. Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer in this regard. I run Kodi from a FireStick on a really old tv and haven't noticed the judder when watching rugby but that may be due to the fact that I have bigger problems such as dead pixels all over the place. I really need to replace my TV :).

enerdude

Expert Member
Thanks, that cleared it up for me. Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer in this regard. I run Kodi from a FireStick on a really old tv and haven't noticed the judder when watching rugby but that may be due to the fact that I have bigger problems such as dead pixels all over the place. I really need to replace my TV :).

Yeah no judder on my side either, running on a 50" Hisense UHD.

enerdude

Expert Member

joshuatree

Expert Member
99% of boxes has at least widevine L3 which is what you need for the addon.
I have a cheap MXQ with a cheap RK3229 chipset and it works fine
How would the latest Kodi version and DstvNow add-on run on the X96 mini with specs :

X96 Mini Android TV Box Specifications:

CPU – Amlogic S905W quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHzGPU – penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHzOS – Android 7.1.2Memory – 1GB DDR3Storage – 8GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot (up to 32GB)Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 fps, AV portAudio – HDMI, AV port (stereo audio)Video Codecs – 4K H.265, MPEG1/2/4, H.264, HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 , RealVideo8/9/10Video Formats – 4K@30fps, H.265, AVI, H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVD/DIVX, Real8/9/10, RM,RMVB, PMP, FLV, MP4, M4V, VOB, WMV, 3GP, MKVConnectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-FiUSB – 2x USB 2.0 host portsMisc – IR receiverPower Supply – DC 5V/2ADimensions – 82 x 82 x 17mmWeight – n/a

Rockchip or Amlogic SoC on a cheap box for the latest Kodi with DstvNow add-on ?

The X96 mini is the cheapest I have seen selling on Gumtree etc.

enerdude

Expert Member
How would the latest Kodi version and DstvNow add-on run on the X96 mini with specs :

CPU – Amlogic S905W quad core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHzGPU – penta-core Mali-450MP GPU @ 750 MHzOS – Android 7.1.2Memory – 1GB DDR3Storage – 8GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot (up to 32GB)Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 fps, AV portAudio – HDMI, AV port (stereo audio)Video Codecs – 4K H.265, MPEG1/2/4, H.264, HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 , RealVideo8/9/10Video Formats – 4K@30fps, H.265, AVI, H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVD/DIVX, Real8/9/10, RM,RMVB, PMP, FLV, MP4, M4V, VOB, WMV, 3GP, MKVConnectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-FiUSB – 2x USB 2.0 host portsMisc – IR receiverPower Supply – DC 5V/2ADimensions – 82 x 82 x 17mmWeight – n/a

Rockchip or Amlogic SoC on a cheap box for the latest Kodi with DstvNow add-on ?

The x96 mini runs fine with kodi / dstv addon. Amlogic much better cpu than rockchip. x96 mini same specs as ematic / xiaomi / skyworth / telkom lit except that ram is only 1GB where the others mentioned is 2GB. You also get it in 2/16 form which is better cause 1gb RAM causes a box to be unresponsive when loading multiple apps

I have made x96 mini (and other amlogic based boxes) google certified whereas its not possible with rockchip devices - then you can run the latest dstv now android app as well.

xbmcfan

Rather get something like an X2 Cube and spend a little more for something you will use long-term.
Ships with Buffalo Express, you can also check on Gearbest or Banggood if they ship with Buffalo Express.
It has dual-boot Android - CoreELEC firmware where you can seamlessly switch between the 2 OS's.
CoreELEC is a fork of LibrEELEC and you will be able to play everything at the correct frame-rate without judder and also have HD Audio passthrough. It also supports Magisk to make your device Google Certified and Android Kodi also supports frame-rate switching and HD Audio passthrough. There is also system-wide frame-rate switching so even the DSTV Now app can use it. None of this is possible on the discontinued S905W chipset.

xbmcfan

99% of boxes has at least widevine L3 which is what you need for the addon.
I have a cheap MXQ with a cheap RK3229 chipset and it works fine
LibreELEC is now also released for RK3229 devices.
You might find an image that works on your MXQ device since other devices share very similar hardware.
Frame-rate switching will work great eg 24/25/30/50/60 but fractional frame-rates aren't supported by the hardware.

If you have a link to your stock firmware for the MXQ, I can try to make it Google Certified if interested.
All Rockchip devices also support Magisk, you just have to flash a manually patched boot image.
Magisk is working fine on my RK3229 device I still have.

enerdude

Expert Member
LibreELEC is now also released for RK3229 devices.
You might find an image that works on your MXQ device since other devices share very similar hardware.
Frame-rate switching will work great eg 24/25/30/50/60 but fractional frame-rates aren't supported by the hardware.

If you have a link to your stock firmware for the MXQ, I can try to make it Google Certified if interested.
All Rockchip devices also support Magisk, you just have to flash a manually patched boot image.
Magisk is working fine on my RK3229 device I still have.

I will check again. When I checked a few months ago magisk did not work properly on my MXQ rk3229 and it was confirmed by custom rom creators on xda and freaktab forums.
Amlogic's entry level cpus have just worked much better than rockchip's entry level cpus in the past and I have become a big fan of amlogic

xbmcfan

I will check again. When I checked a few months ago magisk did not work properly on my MXQ rk3229 and it was confirmed by custom rom creators on xda and freaktab forums.
Amlogic's entry level cpus have just worked much better than rockchip's entry level cpus in the past and I have become a big fan of amlogic
You can check which firmware version you have eg. rk3229***debug-keys, the build fingerprint in System About and year of firmware then I will try to download that firmware if I can find it and patch it with Magisk and send you instructions on how to use it. Will also send instructions if something goes wrong on how to restore a backup.
Lollipop, Mashmallow, Nougat need manually patching while Pie or later have native support for Magisk on Rockchip devices. New Amlogic devices with Pie also need extra steps as they also don't support Magisk correctly anymore as was the case on older Android versions.

enerdude

Expert Member

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
See that article was updated recently and it seems CBS turned off VMP enabling chrome in linux to work with their content. If monochoice will do the same things would be so much simpler...

Monochoice are a bunch of retarded morons, they are nowhere near as clever as they think they are, but so be it ...

limbo2018

When I try to login on the DStv addon, he gives me unexpected error ?
can someone give advice what to do ?