[RELEASE] DStv Now KODI Add-on

IceQB

Expert Member
Issues last night...
e909b6497ceeb489becea6d1da71b8c8.jpg

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
I was not on DSTV last night, but I heard from friends some just got a black screen with 3 running blue dots the whole night :X3:

megsk

I encounter periodic buffering on channel 211 Non live programs but get no buffer at all on live rugby matches. For instance over the weekend, I watched cheetahs at 130 pm fine followed by the lions v Japan without a single buffer. After the live Japan game, it starts to buffer periodically. Fast foward to night time and i watched the Harlequins game perfect full HD with no buffer. Since then I have not watched a live game again and 211 buffers periodically. All other channels are perfect including 203 for live and non live programs . Is anyone experiencing the same? I run on firstick on the TV.
We are having a similar issue on our Hisense Smart TV. The Motorsport SS channel and 204 continually buffers, catches up and audio refuses to sync. It must be an issue with DSTV Now itself.

Laker

We are having a similar issue on our Hisense Smart TV. The Motorsport SS channel and 204 continually buffers, catches up and audio refuses to sync. It must be an issue with DSTV Now itself.
The buffering issue I had with channel 211only happened on the kodi addon. I deleted kodi as I downloaded it just for dstv now. I preffered the guide on Kodi better than what I was using. Went back and no buffering ever since.

chewiesw

Expert Member
I am getting a couple of errors last night and this morning.
DSTV Now error - Check the log files
When I reboot I get SlyGuy Common Error - Check log files.

Similar problem with Slyguys - Samsung Add-on

SiR_BP

Had the same issue on one media box yesterday, upgraded Kodi to the latest version and the issue was resolved

chewiesw

Expert Member

Seems to have automagically fixed itself

jannie247

I have 2 Android TV boxes (Minix Neo X8H-Plus & Tanix TX3 mini) on which I installed Kodi with the DSTV Now add-on.

On the Tanix TX3 mini the DSTV Now plugin is working perfectly, but on the Minix Neo X8H-Plus it doesn't want to play. It pops up the "Playback Quality" dialog and then after I make a selection, there is a little play button that flashes once in the top right corner and then that is it, nothing happens after that.

Based on what I've been able to figure out and what I've read on this thread, it's most likely because the Minix Neo X8H-Plus doesn't support Widevine DRM, which might have to do with the older Android Lollipop 5.1.1 that it's running on, while the Tanix TX3 mini is running on Nougat (7.1). If it's the Android OS version that's the main issue, then I suppose there isn't much I can do, because based on the Minix forums, the firmware version I have is the latest and final version.

So my questions are as follows:
  1. Is anyone able to confirm if the problem is the Android OS version or perhaps something else?
  2. Is there perhaps anything I can do to try and get it to work on the Minix Neo X8H-Plus?
  3. A last resort is to just bite the bullet and buy a new Android TV box to replace my old Minix X8H-Plus. Any suggestions on a good Android TV box? What is the most common model/make used these days?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I have 2 Android TV boxes (Minix Neo X8H-Plus & Tanix TX3 mini) on which I installed Kodi with the DSTV Now add-on.

On the Tanix TX3 mini the DSTV Now plugin is working perfectly, but on the Minix Neo X8H-Plus it doesn't want to play. It pops up the "Playback Quality" dialog and then after I make a selection, there is a little play button that flashes once in the top right corner and then that is it, nothing happens after that.

Based on what I've been able to figure out and what I've read on this thread, it's most likely because the Minix Neo X8H-Plus doesn't support Widevine DRM, which might have to do with the older Android Lollipop 5.1.1 that it's running on, while the Tanix TX3 mini is running on Nougat (7.1). If it's the Android OS version that's the main issue, then I suppose there isn't much I can do, because based on the Minix forums, the firmware version I have is the latest and final version.

1. Is anyone able to confirm if the problem is the Android OS version or perhaps something else?
  2. Is there perhaps anything I can do to try and get it to work on the Minix Neo X8H-Plus?
  3. A last resort is to just bite the bullet and buy a new Android TV box to replace my old Minix X8H-Plus. Any suggestions on a good Android TV box? What is the most common model/make used these days?

I think it is time to buy a new box.

Mi-Box, Fire TV stick 4K, Emantic, Maverick, Google Chromecast with Google TV, Shield. ...

Not in order of preference, but those are the ones I would consider.

enerdude

Expert Member

Few things to try on the Minix box:

• Download drminfo from google play store and run it - should state at least Widevine L3 support otherwise it won't work.
  • Try a fresh Kodi installation if you haven't done so yet, using latest 19.1

enerdude

Expert Member
anyone else having a problem browsing the tv shows catchup category? I can search for a specific show but cannot browse e.g. category like drama for instance:

@JeremySly

oRZ2r6h.png

JeremySly

ill take a look :)
maybe some shows now don't have synopsis

UPDATE:
Just pushed 0.15.2
  • Fix tv shows synopsis
  • Add new Flatten Single Seasons setting (default is true)
    when this is enabled, if the show has only one season, it'll go straight into it
  • Fix most sport content not working
  • Add the new view settings under Advanced
    If your using not default skin, disabling "Folders for Tv Shows and Seasons"
    and disabling "Video view for all content" can give you a lot more "eye candy"
How for force update:

Last edited:

jd.vdm

I see the maximum resolution I can select is 720P when I select "ask". Don't know when it changed or if it is something on my side. There was a few channels that I could select 1080P, but nothing now. 720P max.

enerdude

Expert Member
I see the maximum resolution I can select is 720P when I select "ask". Don't know when it changed or if it is something on my side. There was a few channels that I could select 1080P, but nothing now. 720P max.
Yeah dstv changed it on their side probably a month or so ago. Don't think their servers could keep up seeing more and more people are streaming. Had a problem yesterday again with the rugby. Started the stream just before the rugby started and it worked fine but stopped it manually just after the game begun and could not start the stream again. Could also not login on the website - gave same error. Had to revert to my sky sports sub to watch until closer to half time when it started working again.

I'm sure @JeremySly can confirm the res max setting.

Twincam2177

Any idea why this would happen. I borrowed my box to a friend who put in his own account. It worked for a few weeks but right before the match on Saturday this appeared.
IMG-20210821-WA0010.jpg