Reliable ISP - uncapped ADSL

Qxt

Can anyone recommend a reliable ISP that is NOT, I repeat NOT Afrihost or MWEB for uncapped usage?

Thor

Honorary Master
Web Africa is probably your only other popular option.

Qxt

Feedback as requested: I have tried the following in the past 2 years (small review), take note my average usage is 180 GB to 380 GB per month.

The following ISP's:

Openweb
Afrihost
Mweb
Web Africa

Openweb: Initially good speeds, good service.. then no idea what happened they just got worse and worse. speeds just sucked more and more every day until the link to them became almost unusable - recommendation stay FAR away!

Afrihost: used to be a great company, their service is still good support wise. But their network speeds are so random and slow it is faster to get into a plane and download in Japan then it is to use their network. They DON't have stable network as they claim to have. They love to over sell their capacity e.g. they have 10 slices of cakes for 10 people, but like to sell the 10 slices of cakes to 20 people thus giving you half a slice. My speeds have only deteriorated in the last 4 months to the point where i have 17 to 34 Kpbs downloads speeds on a 4 Mbps line. So no idea how they got voted best ISP in SA. must have been a marketing company doing the propaganda since they outright suck. Recommendation AVOID at all cost! Unless you like slower then 56k Dial-up speeds :p I have no idea how people get to their 500 gb + data usage since i can never get passed the 250 GB. If I am lucky i hit 380 GB (also not most of my IT friends use them and they observed the same findings)

MWEB: interesting.. their initial trial account was lighting fast! as in impressively fast... then the trial ended and i signed up because i was impressed with the speeds i got from their network. (they did explain the whole your link will be fast until you hit 100 Gb or so then it will get slower the more you download. Which i was fine with.. then day 1: 45 Kpbs constant speed after I they switched me over to a paying customer.. that is almost as worse as Afrihost. I cancelled my account 24 hrs later... never again!

Web Africa: So far (signed up 2 days ago 15 July 2014), they are the BEST! The speeds I got was INSANE.. pretty much 100% line capacity which is 420 to 435 Kbps! Better then all the other ISP's i have tested! pretty impressive! And this is on their HOME account uncapped. How ever they seem also to do the whole slow down thing when you hit a certain limit. Unless you go for the business account then the speeds apparently stay constant. So far they have been a good ISP, great service and great speeds. I recommend them highly! I intend to switch to their business account after i have used to them for a month or so. But they are the best option to date :)

AthenianOwl

Executive Member
Feedback as requested: I have tried the following in the past 2 years (small review), take note my average usage is 180 GB to 380 GB per month.

The following ISP's:

Openweb
Afrihost
Mweb
Web Africa

Openweb: Initially good speeds, good service.. then no idea what happened they just got worse and worse. speeds just sucked more and more every day until the link to them became almost unusable - recommendation stay FAR away!

Afrihost: used to be a great company, their service is still good support wise. But their network speeds are so random and slow it is faster to get into a plane and download in Japan then it is to use their network. They DON't have stable network as they claim to have. They love to over sell their capacity e.g. they have 10 slices of cakes for 10 people, but like to sell the 10 slices of cakes to 20 people thus giving you half a slice. My speeds have only deteriorated in the last 4 months to the point where i have 17 to 34 Kpbs downloads speeds on a 4 Mbps line. So no idea how they got voted best ISP in SA. must have been a marketing company doing the propaganda since they outright suck. Recommendation AVOID at all cost! Unless you like slower then 56k Dial-up speeds :p I have no idea how people get to their 500 gb + data usage since i can never get passed the 250 GB. If I am lucky i hit 380 GB (also not most of my IT friends use them and they observed the same findings)

MWEB: interesting.. their initial trial account was lighting fast! as in impressively fast... then the trial ended and i signed up because i was impressed with the speeds i got from their network. (they did explain the whole your link will be fast until you hit 100 Gb or so then it will get slower the more you download. Which i was fine with.. then day 1: 45 Kpbs constant speed after I they switched me over to a paying customer.. that is almost as worse as Afrihost. I cancelled my account 24 hrs later... never again!

Web Africa: So far (signed up 2 days ago 15 July 2014), they are the BEST! The speeds I got was INSANE.. pretty much 100% line capacity which is 420 to 435 Kbps! Better then all the other ISP's i have tested! pretty impressive! And this is on their HOME account uncapped. How ever they seem also to do the whole slow down thing when you hit a certain limit. Unless you go for the business account then the speeds apparently stay constant. So far they have been a good ISP, great service and great speeds. I recommend them highly! I intend to switch to their business account after i have used to them for a month or so. But they are the best option to date :)

Thanks for the WA review :D I totally agree with you re AH :( From what I've gathered around here, AH has gone downhill ever since they decided to switch from IS to MTN months ago. I don't like that AH and MTN are so into each other :sick:

Qxt

My current account is home uncapped with Web Africa. I am considering the business option. Just testing out the account first. So far ZERO issues :p

Dr@g0nic

Expert Member
Thanks man, I'm actually considering changing from OW if everything goes south(I don't have any issues at the moment, however I'm only home on weekends so it could all be a lie lol).
Was considering AH but wasn't sure if it was a good idea since they went MTN.

WA sounds good but its only been two days so would like a recap in a week or 2 if you don't mind?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
My current account is home uncapped with Web Africa. I am considering the business option. Just testing out the account first. So far ZERO issues :p

Remember to schedule your downloads between midnight (maybe 23:00) - 06:00 as this doesn't count towards your stars, usage between 06:00-23:00/midnight (with Plugg it's 23:00) will count and affect your stars.

Qxt

I don't mind, have made an entry in my calendar for 2 weeks from now to come back and give a update. During the day i limit my downloads since ISP's will do it for you anyway on a home type account. But at night and weekends it's a different story. will give and update on the 31st of July

Qxt

Remember to schedule your downloads between midnight (maybe 23:00) - 06:00 as this doesn't count towards your stars, usage between 06:00-23:00/midnight (with Plugg it's 23:00) will count and affect your stars.

Thank you @wingnut771 just updated my tor.. server to only run at max speeds from 23:00 to 6 AM

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Thank you @wingnut771 just updated my tor.. server to only run at max speeds from 23:00 to 6 AM

No problem :)

This time schedule includes weekends hey and is 7 days a week.

Expect shaping (gets bad if you go below 3 stars) between 08:00-17:00 (weekdays) and full speed the rest of the time.

HDS

Expert Member

You said you have been with them for 2 days. In a while you will get the same crap as with all the other ISPs, that I can promise you.