RIP Dion Wired

skimread

Executive Member
The Dion Wired staff are always Playing Fifa when I go there.

Can't say I will miss them. Their store had a nice modern layout but I just never bought anything there. Online is just so much cheaper.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
i have never stood foot in any of their stores, wouldn't even have a clue what they sell either

Matt91

Good, crappy store that charged a premium for what? Don't think I've ever bought one single thing from a Dion store in my life.

garp

Executive Member
In a lot of malls Dion Wired is next door to Incredible Connection with the same (non-appliance) electronics. Couldn't understand the point of that. Mind you, I have a feeling Incredible could be going the same way.

During Christmas shopping this year I could feel the effect online shopping is having on retail - most of these chains stock the bare minimum and a tiny range, where before they had every kind of gadget and the full range of everything. Couldn't even buy a Kindle anywhere - hard to find anywhere offline.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Game, Makro, CNA, Incredible, Verimark.....All these $tore$ will eventually close as they do not know how to enter the online world, have a good website, logistics or how to deliver products on time and efficiently.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Game, Makro, CNA, Incredible.....All these stores will eventually close as they do not know how to enter the online world, have a good website, logistics or how to deliver products on time and efficiently.
Greedy company owners, arsehole managers, and dumb k0nt employees will seal the deal.

ld13

Honorary Master
They charge more for the same product at Game and Makro, never understood this.
In economics you are set to capture more of the market, or maximize sales, if you charge exactly what everyone in the market is willing to pay - or something like that.

If you go and look for this you are bound to find quite a few examples.

It can be argued that the Epson 'cash-back' program they are currently running, is an example of this. In a market of only two people, where the one is willing to pay R2500 for the printer and the other person is only willing to pay R2000, Epson is set to only ever have 1 sale if the price is set at R2500. If they lower the price to R2000, sure they will have two sales, but only 2 x R2000 = R4000 out of a possible R2000+R2500 = R4500 that the market is willing to pay.

Epson now set the price at R2500 and offers a ~R500 cash-back for those willing to actually claim it back. This leads them to extract the full R4500 the market is willing to pay. The person that was willing to pay R2500 for the printer is said to not worry to even claim back that ~R500. I know of a few people with a mindset like that.

RedViking

Nord of the South
How is Verimark 'As Seen On Tv' still in business? I have never seen a single client in their stores walking past it. They once tried to sell me an iron for R800 looking exactly the same as a Russell Hobbs.... I asked what is special about it and the poor salesman said it had 30% more steam. I just laughed and walked away.

dj2381

Expert Member
Attempted to buy a washing machine 2 years ago at one of their stores, everything was going well, it was on special so the price was better than Makro. Once I paid I asked when the delivery will take place? "sorry none of our stores have stock at the moment it will take up to 7 days to get one from our warehouse" Tsek! Asked for a refund on the spot, never set foot in a Dionwired since.

Viva

Expert Member
I actually ended up buying both a soundbar and TV from Dion Wired during the last ±14 months. They had the best prices and available stock. I could not find the items cheaper at Tafelberg Furnishers or online. Good service too. They became my store of choice recently.

Nemus

Expert Member
...and argumentative when made aware thereof.
And I found the ones at my nearest store quite condescending, mildly judgerag.
Looked me up and down and already decided that i cant afford anything in there, and decided to not assist me at all. Happily walked to another store and bought my goodies there...

Zyk1

Expert Member
Also saw this coming.
I foresee other stores, by different owners, also soon meeting it's demise.
Stores like Incredible Connection, Outdoor Wareshouse etc.
Stores that sell high end items that only a few South Africans can now afford, compared to 10-20 years ago.
The mass chain stores will be gaining

Nqindi

Game, Makro, Dion Wired all sell similar products and at time identical with differing prices. This was bound to happen to either one of them. It just never made sense.
It made sense in the same way Shoprite and Checkers are owned by the same person. Dion Wired was meant to cater to high-end consumers. Unfortunately, online retailers are eating into that market.

SilverCode

I actually ended up buying both a soundbar and TV from Dion Wired during the last ±14 months. They had the best prices and available stock. I could not find the items cheaper at Tafelberg Furnishers or online. Good service too. They became my store of choice recently.
The Tafelberg near me is always happy to try their damndest to price match other stores. Takealot had a special (an actual special) on a Samsung TV, went to Tafelberg to see if they had the same one, mentioned to the sales guy it was cheaper on Takealot and he said he would match the Takealot price.

Another time I went to buy a stove from them. Sales guy helped me find a stove I was happy with and an extractor hood. Told him that I had to at least shop around for better prices before purchasing. He said I would be stupid not to do that, so I went off to Hirsch. Found the exact same stove much, much cheaper. Went back to Tafelberg and told the guy the price, he phoned them to confirm, checked his system and saw he couldn't go that low, so he phoned his supplier and asked them if they could lower the price so he could match the Hirsch price. Sadly he couldn't get hold of the supplier (it was a weekend), so he told me to rather buy the stove from Hirsch as it was a stupidly good price.

I ended up buying the extractor hood from him though just to thank him for his effort, and now always prefer to buy from them.