Rocketnet - feedback?

Sigint

Yes! In Green Point.!
I have two separate fiber lines and two Dasan ONTs both need rebooting almost daily!

Stratt

So lately, say about the last two months with Rocketnet on Frogfoot I have noticed the following. I have a rsync over ssh that runs every night at 12AM (24:00) to pull data from my remote server in the EU. Data is normally between 10 to 30 Gigabytes. At first I could see after transferring data for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, my speed would drop from about 30mbit to a solid 5mbit. Before this I would normally get about 40 to 60mbit, and the download will finish within an hour. I specifically set the download at this time, as it is the most quiet time on most provider networks, and to not saturate their bandwidth during peak demand.

So this looks like solid shaping. This even though their policy states:

For the past couple of days, this has dropped to 0.5mbit. This on a 100mbit line.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I think it might be time to jump ship, this service is going down the toilet.

wingnut771

Executive Member
So lately, say about the last two months with Rocketnet on Frogfoot I have noticed the following. I have a rsync over ssh that runs every night at 12AM (24:00) to pull data from my remote server in the EU. Data is normally between 10 to 30 Gigabytes. At first I could see after transferring data for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, my speed would drop from about 30mbit to a solid 5mbit. Before this I would normally get about 40 to 60mbit, and the download will finish within an hour. I specifically set the download at this time, as it is the most quiet time on most provider networks, and to not saturate their bandwidth during peak demand.

View attachment 703573

View attachment 703575

For the past couple of days, this has dropped to 0.5mbit. This on a 100mbit line.

View attachment 703577

Does anyone have a similar experience? I think it might be time to jump ship, this service is going down the toilet.
look at the very next sentence after your highlight.

Stratt

look at the very next sentence after your highlight.
This I understand, but if 800GB a month on a 100mbit link is above the AUP (with most downloads happening between 24:00 and 06:00) then I have serious concerns. When I still had ADSL all providers excluded data used between 24:00 and 07:00 as counting towards the AUP/FUP. Ffs even Telkom only started shaping after 600GB (used outside of the hours listed above), on a 10mbit account. That, and 0.5mbit? Seriously?

Last edited:

wingnut771

Executive Member
This I understand, but if 800GB a month on a 100mbit link is above the AUP (with most downloads happening between 24:00 and 06:00) then I have serious concerns. When I still had ADSL all providers excluded data used between 24:00 and 07:00 as counting towards the AUP/FUP. Ffs even Telkom only started shaping after 600GB (used outside of the hours listed above), on a 10mbit account. That, and 0.5mbit? Seriously?
i agree, it shouldn't be counted, so should be a sign this account is not for you and should move ISP's

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Yes! In Green Point.!
I have two separate fiber lines and two Dasan ONTs both need rebooting almost daily!
All my disconnects seem to be tied to recent maintenance happening in Cape Town. I don't see any further notices on their status page so hopefully that was just a fleeting issue. I otherwise have been very pleased how stable my connection has been.

abudabi

Expert Member
Hmm... yeah that does look very suspicious. What if you set your schedule during the day as a test?

Maybe also do MTR or pingplot or iperf during the time that it's running to see if its JUST that xfer / IP that's affected?

Stratt

Hmm... yeah that does look very suspicious. What if you set your schedule during the day as a test?

Maybe also do MTR or pingplot or iperf during the time that it's running to see if its JUST that xfer / IP that's affected?
I have tried changing the schedule, which still has the same effect. Ping latency to the remote end, does increase, but only while the slow speeds are in effect:

I will run an Iperf to compare, but I suspect it will still have the same bandwidth restraints (for the endpoint that experiences the slow speeds). All other transfers from other endpoints during this period is however at close to full speed, especially local traffic. It seems to only affect traffic from this connection that experiences slow speeds. The remote server is also not congested at all during these issues.

Stratt

Some feedback regarding my slow international speeds. A reset of the PPPoE session from my end (without rebooting the router) seems to have solved the issue. I did however log a support ticket before this. Since the maintanence on the 22nd however I notice that my international latency is a lot more erratic that it used to be, and latency to the EU has increased by about 20ms. Anyone else have a similar experience?

RocketNet-Rep

Company Rep

View attachment 703573

View attachment 703575

View attachment 703577

Hi Stratt,

We can confirm that Rocketnet does not shape, throttle, discriminate or degrade network performance based on content or usage. All our packages are premium packages.

Please note that Octotel has been having issues, please see latest post on Mybb

Thank you for the patience, apologies for this.

RocketNet-Rep

Company Rep
Hi Stratt,

Trust all is still well. I can confirm 100% that we do not shape or throttle anything. We do not look at your usage.
AUP is there for security reasons and not for shaping reasons.
We can confirm that Rocketnet does not shape, throttle, discriminate or degrade network performance based on content or usage. All our packages are premium packages.

I hope and trust that you will find this in order. I know that FF has been having some issues on their network and they are working to resolve this issue.

Stratt

Thanks
Hi Stratt,

Trust all is still well. I can confirm 100% that we do not shape or throttle anything. We do not look at your usage.
AUP is there for security reasons and not for shaping reasons.

I hope and trust that you will find this in order. I know that FF has been having some issues on their network and they are working to resolve this issue.
Thanks, everything is much better since Monday. Whatever was wrong at Frogfoot, they seem to have sorted it out in my area. Speed is back to full line speed:

EU Latency variation/spikes has also returned to normal:

joshuatree

Expert Member
Why are we paying more on Vumatel than the rate on Mitchells Fibre which is provided by Vumatel as well ?

isie

Honorary Master
Why are we paying more on Vumatel than the rate on Mitchells Fibre which is provided by Vumatel as well ?
Vumatel sets the basic price, You should be asking Vumatel this question not the ISP.

DreamKing

Executive Member
I found that the service is very bad. My connection down (ONT is fine for vumatel) from 4 am, up to the time I left it still no connection. I want to report the faulty, No one I can contact. WebChat is offline. they are not working on Sat and Sun and after hours. No connection (faulty) always happens on weekend and after hour. So now, if the connection is not coming back. I am going to have no connection for the next 2 - 3 days.

very very bad. so I am going to leave, any people can give me some good ISPs for vumatel?

RocketNet-Rep

Company Rep
I found that the service is very bad. My connection down (ONT is fine for vumatel) from 4 am, up to the time I left it still no connection. I want to report the faulty, No one I can contact. WebChat is offline. they are not working on Sat and Sun and after hours. No connection (faulty) always happens on weekend and after hour. So now, if the connection is not coming back. I am going to have no connection for the next 2 - 3 days.

very very bad. so I am going to leave, any people can give me some good ISPs for vumatel?
Hi Dreamking, apologise for this inconvenience. I can confirm that I have logged a support request for you regarding this issue.

Please note that our support hours for weekends are Sat 15:00-20:00 and Sun 15:00-19:00. Please note that you can always email us on support@rocketnet.co.za as this support box is always monitored.

Please also feel free to send us a WhatsApp or Facebook message in case of emergency, and we will attend.

I hope and trust that you will find this in order.

Thank you,