Roku 3 Streaming Quality Problem

Bl1zz4rd

Hi all.

I recently got a Roku 3 (which is amazing), but most of the channels (apps) have very poor streaming quality.

A few of the channels stream in 1080p, YouTube streams in 720p, and the rest (eg. GameSpot) are immensely poor (must be around 360p, which looks terrible on my TV).

I have an 8MB line, so it's not my internet. This point is also proven by the channels that do stream in 1080p.

Is there something that could be preventing the other channels from streaming well? Perhaps in the way I've configured it? None of the channels seem to have streaming quality settings (not even YouTube). Are there hidden settings?

Thanks in advance.

nemisiz

The one in Bold is the one that will do the trick , but probably your ISP throtteling the connection to the cdn for the content that is poor quality. also leaving it awhile the quality will sometimes ramp up to higher settings.

Home:5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF – Secret Platform Screen(temp monitor, IP, Wi-Fi SNR)
Home:5, FF:3, RW:2 – Secret Screen (factory reset, USB test, cycle channel store, update server/software, enable debug)
Home:5, U, R, D, L, U – Secret Screen2 (cycle screenshot, cycle ad-banner, remote auto-pair, log theme info)
Home:3, Up:2, L, R, L, R, L – Installed software versions screen
Home:3, U:2, R, L, R, L, R – Enable developer mode
Home:5, RW:3, FF:2 – Quality settings screen/Bitrate Screen: (set bitrates)
Home:5, U, RW: 2, FF: 2 – Reboot (will take a few moments for screen to reboot)
Home:5, FF, D, RW, D, FF – Secret Antenna Menu
Home:5, U, D, U, D, U – WiFi Secret Menu (Signal strength, TX, RX, glitch/sec, iperf, reset, interference, radio, power

Bl1zz4rd

The one in Bold is the one that will do the trick , but probably your ISP throtteling the connection to the cdn for the content that is poor quality. also leaving it awhile the quality will sometimes ramp up to higher settings.

Home:5, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF – Secret Platform Screen(temp monitor, IP, Wi-Fi SNR)
Home:5, FF:3, RW:2 – Secret Screen (factory reset, USB test, cycle channel store, update server/software, enable debug)
Home:5, U, R, D, L, U – Secret Screen2 (cycle screenshot, cycle ad-banner, remote auto-pair, log theme info)
Home:3, Up:2, L, R, L, R, L – Installed software versions screen
Home:3, U:2, R, L, R, L, R – Enable developer mode
Home:5, RW:3, FF:2 – Quality settings screen/Bitrate Screen: (set bitrates)
Home:5, U, RW: 2, FF: 2 – Reboot (will take a few moments for screen to reboot)
Home:5, FF, D, RW, D, FF – Secret Antenna Menu
Home:5, U, D, U, D, U – WiFi Secret Menu (Signal strength, TX, RX, glitch/sec, iperf, reset, interference, radio, power

Thank you for all those. I'm sure I'll make use of many of them over time :)

Afrihost doesn't throttle anything, and doesn't shape streaming, so it definitely isn't that.

Unfortunately the quality doesn't improve if the videos are left. I've finished watching videos in 360p on numerous channels during my testing.

I tried changing the quality settings from automatic, as you suggested, but the problem's still there. I turned on playback debugging and when I played videos, for example via the GameSpot channel, the popup said "playing 1.5 mbps of your 8mbps network". Why would it do that, as opposed to using all the speed available to it?

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
My quality is excellent, but I have a faster line than you.

IMO you have some or the other line issue.

Bl1zz4rd

My quality is excellent, but I have a faster line than you.

IMO you have some or the other line issue.

What speed do you have?

If the problem was universal, I'd say that could be the case, but the fact that some channels stream in 1080p, and I can stream at even above that flawlessly on my PC, indicates otherwise.

Could the problem be caused by the way the Roku has been set up in my router (DNS, etc)?

Jola

Honorary Master
What speed do you have?

20mbps VDSL. I often have simultaneous streaming sessions.

If the problem was universal, I'd say that could be the case, but the fact that some channels stream in 1080p, and I can stream at even above that flawlessly on my PC, indicates otherwise.

Yes.

Could the problem be caused by the way the Roku has been set up in my router (DNS, etc)?

Unlikely. Maybe your wifi is poor where your Roku 3 is located.

Bl1zz4rd

20mbps VDSL. I often have simultaneous streaming sessions.

Unlikely. Maybe your wifi is poor where your Roku 3 is located.

I can finally get up to 40mbps in my area, after many years of waiting. I imagine it's amazing.

The Roku is right next to the router, and is connected via a 2m ethernet cable, not Wi-Fi, so not even that is the problem here.