RSAWEB uncapped Service

hereandthere

Hi
Anybody have experience of RSAWEB uncapped FTTH? Good prices and inclusions and the uncapped is cheaper than the capped offering! But while contract fine print states 'best efforts' service, sales person says there is no throttling or shaping on uncapped, but only prioritizing and this should only affect home users trying to use it to run a business. Would I be crazy to believe this? I'm in Durban, so service will be with Openserve.

ghostR

Executive Member
Hi
Anybody have experience of RSAWEB uncapped FTTH? Good prices and inclusions and the uncapped is cheaper than the capped offering! But while contract fine print states 'best efforts' service, sales person says there is no throttling or shaping on uncapped, but only prioritizing and this should only affect home users trying to use it to run a business. Would I be crazy to believe this? I'm in Durban, so service will be with Openserve.
What speed are you looking at going for?

hereandthere

Thinking 20 mbs for Netflix, some gaming for an 11 year old and her you tube watching and occasionally I work on outlook app at home instead of office. The uncapped option is cheaper than capped at this speed.

ghostR

Executive Member
Thinking 20 mbs for Netflix, some gaming for an 11 year old and her you tube watching and occasionally I work on outlook app at home instead of office. The uncapped option is cheaper than capped at this speed.
Had a look at their packages, wouldn't trust the "home uncapped" offering personally that it is truly uncapped at that pricing.

Also note on RSAWeb's site "* The set up fee of R2 500 and R400 router cost is payable, if service is moved/cancelled within 12 months. "

The set up fee of R2 500 is currently free from Openserve so not sure why they would be charging that if you cancel.

I'd have a look at cool ideas personally, it's a bit more pricey but worth it as you know what you will be getting - https://www.cisp.co.za/ftth/openserve-residential/

hereandthere

Thanks for the tip. They also want 6 months within which to install or cancellation will incurfees, which I though excessive. What is the norm?

ghostR

Executive Member
Thanks for the tip. They also want 6 months within which to install or cancellation will incurfees, which I though excessive. What is the norm?
Who wants 6 months within which to install? Cool ideas or RSAWeb?

medicnick83

Paramedic
I use RSAWEB's 20/20 FTTH package and I'm very happy with it.

Any Q's - ask away.

I've do MASSIVE amounts of data due to my streams (HD 1080p @ 60 FPS) and have no issues with the UNCAPPED part... so I can tell you myself "you can trust it"

ghostR

Executive Member
I use RSAWEB's 20/20 FTTH package and I'm very happy with it.

Any Q's - ask away.

I've do MASSIVE amounts of data due to my streams (HD 1080p @ 60 FPS) and have no issues with the UNCAPPED part... so I can tell you myself "you can trust it"
And them charging you the set up fee and router cost if you cancel within 12 months? very well your connection might be great at the moment but what about in 3 months when you start experiencing problems and then you've either got to stay with them for 12 months with a sh*t connection or you have to pay R2,900 to cancel - with R2,500 of that being free to RSAWeb as openserve are currently providing free installations.

medicnick83

Paramedic
And them charging you the set up fee and router cost if you cancel within 12 months? very well your connection might be great at the moment but what about in 3 months when you start experiencing problems and then you've either got to stay with them for 12 months with a sh*t connection or you have to pay R2,900 to cancel - with R2,500 of that being free to RSAWeb as openserve are currently providing free installations.
I don't know about you, but when I have issues, I make contact with them and they fix the issue - No ISP is perfect, but RSAWEB do put in a massive effort for all their clients.
Over the last what... 5 or so months, I've only really logged 3 support tickets, all of them sorted within a few short hours.

ghostR

Executive Member
I don't know about you, but when I have issues, I make contact with them and they fix the issue - No ISP is perfect, but RSAWEB do put in a massive effort for all their clients.
Over the last what... 5 or so months, I've only really logged 3 support tickets, all of them sorted within a few short hours.
ofcourse you make contact with your ISP to try and resolve issues but more often than not when IPC is involved it will fall on deaf ears... so I'd rather go with an ISP that does not penalize me if I want to cancel for whatever reason...

medicnick83

Paramedic
ofcourse you make contact with your ISP to try and resolve issues but more often than not when IPC is involved it will fall on deaf ears... so I'd rather go with an ISP that does not penalize me if I want to cancel for whatever reason...
Fine, then don't take a 'contract' with them, which means you must have your own ROUTER (which costs about R2000+- because I priced it)
In my area, RSAWEB run on Octotel and we all know they are both owned by same group.
And when the issue was infact Octotel (network) issue, the guys are out super fast, I've seen it myself so your comment of "It falls on deaf ears" is not valid here or at least with RSAWEB.

ghostR

Executive Member
Fine, then don't take a 'contract' with them, which means you must have your own ROUTER (which costs about R2000+- because I priced it)
In my area, RSAWEB run on Octotel and we all know they are both owned by same group.
There is a major difference between octotel and openserve - octotel supplies fibre where the ISP breaks out via NNI where the bandwidth is free and openserve supplies fibre where the ISP breaks out via openserve IPC which the ISP pays per mbps for

Also, Cool Ideas provide a free router with no "contact"

medicnick83

Paramedic
There is a major difference between octotel and openserve - octotel supplies fibre where the ISP breaks out via NNI where the bandwidth is free and openserve supplies fibre where the ISP breaks out via openserve IPC which the ISP pays per mbps for

Also, Cool Ideas provide a free router with no "contact"
Open Serve charge ISP’s R2500 for the “last mile fibre” connection from the live fibre in the road into the residence. RSAWEB are one of the few ISP’s that still cover that on clients behalf. They need to get that back from clients if they cancel and give 30 days notice which makes sense - from a business point of view. I'm sure you are welcome to cover the installation fee, then you can cancel the month to month contract at any time.

I've spoken to RSAWEB now (Because I'm a big believer in COMMUNICATING) and "Our usual timeframes, IN LIVE Open Serve areas is 15-20 Working days."

What I suggest you or anyone does is; make contact with Dylan Hunt from RSAWEB:

Dylan Hunt Fibre to the Home Sales Executive
Email: dylan@rsaweb.co.za | T 087 470 0000 | C 083 893 0552

ghostR

Executive Member
Open Serve charge ISP’s R2500 for the “last mile fibre” connection from the live fibre in the road into the residence. RSAWEB are one of the few ISP’s that still cover that on clients behalf. They need to get that back from clients if they cancel and give 30 days notice which makes sense - from a business point of view. I'm sure you are welcome to cover the installation fee, then you can cancel the month to month contract at any time.

I've spoken to RSAWEB now (Because I'm a big believer in COMMUNICATING) and "Our usual timeframes, IN LIVE Open Serve areas is 15-20 Working days."

What I suggest you or anyone does is; make contact with Dylan Hunt from RSAWEB:
are you reading what I'm saying?

What I'm saying is that openserve are currently running a promotion for all ISPs where the installation of the "last mile fibre" into the property is free, where it would normally have a once off cost associated to it - therefore RSAweb should not be charging that R2,500 fee if you decide to cancel 3 months down the line, because RSAweb would have received it from openserve for FREE.

medicnick83

Paramedic
are you reading what I'm saying?

What I'm saying is that openserve are currently running a promotion for all ISPs where the installation of the "last mile fibre" into the property is free, where it would normally have a once off cost associated to it - therefore RSAweb should not be charging that R2,500 fee if you decide to cancel 3 months down the line, because RSAweb would have received it from openserve for FREE.
I see what you saying, let's not FIGHT - can you post communication about this, like an e-mail or something and then I can forward it to Dylan because I'm Googling and not finding anything OFFICIAL regarding this.

ghostR

Executive Member
@PBCool as a service provider, please can you shed some light regarding Openserve and the current promo they are running?

medicnick83

Paramedic
@PBCool as a service provider, please can you shed some light regarding Openserve and the current promo they are running?
Tag's don't really work on MyBB (as it does on other forums, send him a PM maybe?)

Note: I've asked the admins to get the TAG module but so far it seems they haven't. :(