Running Ubuntu on a netbook or other low-end computer

ronz91

Expert Member
Hey guys

Are there any issues running Ubuntu, preferably 15.10 on low-end hardware, as I have been considering buying some really cheap hardware and installing Ubuntu on it to get to know the OS better. I am a heavy Windows user but I have always wanted to explore the Linux ecosystem.

Any issues I should be aware of?

Thanks

oldhat

Expert Member
Depends on your definition of 'low end hardware'...

On my netbook(Atom 1.6ghz, 1gb ram), Ubuntu 15.04 was frustatingly slow. However, it works perfectly on my mom's laptop (1.8ghz Celeron, 2gb ram).

Can not comment on Ubuntu 15.10 as I am still busy downloading it.

garyc

Expert Member
I found lubuntu to be the most satisfying version of Ubuntu to run on a netbook (atom based). This was for version 14.04.

ronz91

Expert Member
Depends on your definition of 'low end hardware'...

On my netbook(Atom 1.6ghz, 1gb ram), Ubuntu 15.04 was frustatingly slow. However, it works perfectly on my mom's laptop (1.8ghz Celeron, 2gb ram).

Can not comment on Ubuntu 15.10 as I am still busy downloading it.

Yeah that sounds low-end. Lemme know how 15.10 goes. Have you tried Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

MickZA

Executive Member
I'm with oldhat on this, I've got an old Compaq 615 (AMD X2 64 2.1ghz) running Fedora 22 Gnome 3 which was unbearably slow with the original 1GB memory. I upped the memory to 3GB and it's quite sporty now, relatively speaking :)

ronz91

Expert Member
I found lubuntu to be the most satisfying version of Ubuntu to run on a netbook (atom based). This was for version 14.04.

What are the major differences between Ubuntu and Lubuntu?

ponder

Honorary Master
What are the major differences between Ubuntu and Lubuntu?

Besides the desktop environment ram&cpu usage.

You really should not get anything with less than 2GB these days, 4GB prefered. It's not so much the OS using so much ram but the apps like web browsers are memory hungry when you start opening multiple tabs.

Ecco

Executive Member
i ran Xubuntu for a while, wasnt too great performance wise. Switched to Mint, xfce

ronz91

Expert Member
Besides the desktop environment ram&cpu usage.

You really should not get anything with less than 2GB these days, 4GB prefered. It's not so much the OS using so much ram but the apps like web browsers are memory hungry when you start opening multiple tabs.

I manage Windows 10 on my laptop where I'm typing this and it handles okay. But yeah I could see browsing eating memory although Opera turbo does help alot excpet for streaming and such heavy applications. Word processing and media consumption are okay upto 1080p video.

ronz91

Expert Member
Ubuntu should do a partnership with a hardware company and release a cheap netbook with Lubuntu standard with specific support.Then market it. I think they could find a niche for themselves.

oldhat

Expert Member
Yeah that sounds low-end. Lemme know how 15.10 goes. Have you tried Xubuntu or Lubuntu?
Tried hundreds of distros, settled on Manjaro JWM for my netbook. Replaced Pale Moon browser with Midori, works perfectly for my needs.

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
Tried hundreds of distros, settled on Manjaro JWM for my netbook. Replaced Pale Moon browser with Midori, works perfectly for my needs.

I'm quite a noob with Linux, do those distros have softwares hubs?

oldhat

Expert Member
I'm quite a noob with Linux, do those distros have softwares hubs?
Yes, but best to try an easier option first. Manjaro not exactly noob friendly.

Lots of options out there. Download and try a few lightweight Ubuntu based distros(Lubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.) until you find one that suits you.

Once you get the hang of Linux you can try a few less noob friendly distros...

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Ubuntu should do a partnership with a hardware company and release a cheap netbook with Lubuntu standard with specific support.Then market it. I think they could find a niche for themselves.

Or you could just buy a Chromebook instead?

beans100

Honorary Master

I like Mint XFCE a bit more, quite the same as Lubuntu, just that all codecs and usefull stuff is already installed. Have it on my old lenovo netbook, works great.

ronz91

Expert Member
Or you could just buy a Chromebook instead?

Do not have an uncapped broadband connection. Also I do not find it to be a real OS personally. Last time I researched they were still working on VLC program that would have to run through the browser, seems overly complicated. Has the situation changed?