SA mobile phone users clueless about their OS

quax

Here I thought that the article was going to be about versions arfter reading the title. This is sad :(

Maverick Jester

The Special One
I would be interested to know who this survey targeted... Otherwise, it's useless as it stands.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Everyone I know in SA knows exactly what OS they are running. Who was targeted?

Baxteen

Honorary Master
I was talking to an Ex the other day, good lord alone only knows why, and when I asked her what phone she has re responded with a galaxy.

fair enough, I asked what version of android and she responded with "I don't know it runs whatsapp"

last night I went around and made sure the family in law all have the latest version of android, because they don't need to know what is under the hood.

those of us who understand the question know the answer. those who do not understand the question can do nothing wiht the knowledge.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Sounds about right.

I haven't a clue what OS my handsfree voip phone uses. Couldn't care either. So not surprised most people who actually use mobile phones don't give a fig.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
My father has a Nokia Lumia 520 somebody at his work convinced him that he has an iPhone.

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
I would be interested to know who this survey targeted... Otherwise, it's useless as it stands.

I agree, surely not everyone is a clueless moron.

Focusing on putting together the articles on the results of the survey as quickly as possible, but will try to bomb the demographics and other sampling data into a forum thread later.

Suffice it to say that the sample looked representative and statistically sound.

Also: Less than half the people said "don't know" and the likely reason, they postulated, is not because people are clueless morons, but simply don't care which operating system their smartphone uses.

*Slight amendment: the sample was somewhat biased towards people in urban areas.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
but this survey isn't limited to smartphones - otherwise most blackberrys would be excluded ....

So taking phones: There are 3 "mobile phones" in the house - an e63 (mine), a Nokia something or other (see I don't even know what the phone model is) and an iPhone 5 (the later 2 are my mothers) so take the survey:
I know my e63 uses Symbian so thats a check but what % of phones use Symbian in SA at the moment - it can't be more than 5% so if 3% of the survey know they use Symbian then its not a massive margin of unknown individuals.
The other Nokia uses NOS series 40 - I know that my mother doesn't but that either goes into unknown or other. But considering the number of entry level phones people have it matches the survey.
The iPhone uses iOS 7 but my mom might not know that and respond unknown or other while knowing full well it is an Apple iPhone if it is put as (Apple) in the description she would probably know. But what is the market share of iPhones in the SA market - not smartphones but phones. Doubt it is more than 3%.

rogerwe

+1 most people are clueless in SA

Yep. People see my Samsung and they say, oh is that the S3? So I say no its the Samsung Windows phone. (so their observation was valid, because its pretty much the same body) Then they go "oooohhhhh, ja, but whats the difference?". Then I switch it on and show them the home screen. I still get blank looks. :(

Before you flame me for having a Windows Phone, its my work dev phone. My other phone is an HTC One ;-)

vangend

Most people do not care, as long as the phone work it does not matter to them what OS they are running.