Salaries in job posts

Sodan

Expert Member
You only really have a budget of you are filling an existing position. If it's a new one you might be trying to find out what the feasibility of hiring someone is.
I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you saying a company wants to hire someone, know what that person is expected to do, but has no clue whatsoever as to how much they are willing to pay that person, not even a salary range?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I'm not sure I understand you here. Are you saying a company wants to hire someone, know what that person is expected to do, but has no clue whatsoever as to how much they are willing to pay that person, not even a salary range?
Yes.

Like a small company that is growing. All of a sudden you need a skill that you don't have. The current employee is either under or over skilled for what you need and the salary is not appropriate.

You can look at what others are offering but how do you know that they have the same need.

For example I saw an advert for a job here identical to my current job but was 20k less than what I earn. Now I earn a lot more for several reasons... But the job is identical.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Circular logic. Then everyone is looking for candidates at a salary that might not even exist
Then you know that you priced it incorrectly. Trial and error. A company will(should) never open a position without having an inkling of what the pricing should be.

jax_maxit

Before I post, lovely new mobi site. Really looks modern and on par with the competition (no I don't use Tapatalk for Android. Too many bugs).
Now... I believe myBb are trying to attract as much traffic here as possible and one of the ways that's done is through the IT Jobs forum. Imagine how many fewer posts/updates this section would have if salary was a requirement in every ad. Fewer visitors.
My 2C worth.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Before I post, lovely new mobi site. Really looks modern and on par with the competition (no I don't use Tapatalk for Android. Too many bugs).
Now... I believe myBb are trying to attract as much traffic here as possible and one of the ways that's done is through the IT Jobs forum. Imagine how many fewer posts/updates this section would have if salary was a requirement in every ad. Fewer visitors.
My 2C worth.
Imagine how many would stop looking at it due to the lack of salaries.

Sodan

Expert Member
Yes.

Like a small company that is growing. All of a sudden you need a skill that you don't have. The current employee is either under or over skilled for what you need and the salary is not appropriate.
How would they know the salary is not appropriate, since they supposedly have no clue whatsoever what an appropriate salary is?

whatwhat

Executive Member
My 2C worth.
See, that is the problem. I'd rather be known as the site that has quality job ads with salary brackets, than just another pnet or careerjunction where anything goes with "market related".

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Well without a salary/benefits listing or the company's name they all the job posts look like this to me:

Looking for [insert language here] developer
Must have [insert a number no larger than 7 here] years experience
Must be [insert combination of generic skills like awesome, self-starter, team-focused, work under pressure, etc. here]
Location [somewhere in RSA]

Hardly anything to convince me to give up my current job.

Galactica

Expert Member
There is something called Job Grading for companies which are not sure of the salary to offer, labour law probably provides guidance as well. How to assign a salary to a job is surely a known science in the HR profession.

cguy

Executive Member
Meh - let the "market related" job trolls not post any ranges. I don't see why forum members should waste their time giving advice on how to get non-cr@p candidates to apply to their jobs posts.

Last edited:

jman

Expert Member
As mentioned earlier, the candidates you really want are the ones who aren't actively looking for jobs, and the only way to do that is to entice them out of their job by posting a salary range. Because let's face it, although it might not be the only factor in choosing a job, a decent salary is one of the main things you'll be looking out for when deciding. It's the thing that will dictate the quality of life for you, so why wouldn't one be interested in what you would earn when looking at these potential jobs?

Sodan

Expert Member
Yes.

How would they know the salary is not appropriate, since they supposedly have no clue whatsoever what an appropriate salary is?
Still waiting on a response from Nerfherder...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Still waiting on a response from Nerfherder...
What response do you want? You haven't really asked anything that I haven't answered already.

I don't care if the salary is in the job ad or not. If the job is relevant I'll apply, I'm looking to make a move. If the salary is too low then they can make up their own minds if they want me or not. It's worth the try.

Sodan

Expert Member
What response do you want? You haven't really asked anything that I haven't answered already.

I don't care if the salary is in the job ad or not. If the job is relevant I'll apply, I'm looking to make a move. If the salary is too low then they can make up their own minds if they want me or not. It's worth the try.

Ehhh, the question is right there in my post I quoted (and I even quoted your post upon which the question is based for clarity and context). I find it hard to believe that you didn't see it. Here it is again, this time with even more context:

In other words, the company does not know what an appropriate salary for the position is.

In other words, you agree that the company does not know what an appropriate salary is, then you proceed to sketch a situational example:

In other words, now the company does know what salary is not appropriate. And my question then follows:

I don't know if I can make it any clearer than that. Responding with your personal preferences w.r.t. job adverts is not a response to my question

kianm

Honorary Master
Makes the posts useless. I need to know a range and consider if that range is worth the trouble and fake illnesses to attend interviews :p

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Why take a job then? For the coffee and muffins?
*applauds* SPOT ON Deadmanza. The whole happy-clappy 'work for personal fulfillment' thing goes right out the window the very first time your company makes a patently wrong decision solely for profit, and not because of other happy-clappy 'it's in the customers' best interest' explanations.

Let's not kid ourselves: there is NOBODY here who is working who isn't doing it for the money ultimately. Our lifes would be way more fulfilling just sitting in cafes all day, gazing at the sea and thinking creative thoughts ... instead we choose to spend nine hours every day inside an access-controlled environment, soaking up the artificial lighting and being surrounded by people who're somehow more depressed than we are. Reason? Money.