Samsung Galaxy Note 20

tm458

Careful there. They state it's the ultra, however under specs it shows 4300mAh battery, which is the non ultra. Also at that monthly price, it's probably the non ultra.
Nah, the only thing they got wrong is the battery size but everything checks out as the ultra and the non-ultra starts at 899 pm instead of 1399 pm

bratwurst

Expert Member
Nah, the only thing they got wrong is the battery size but everything checks out as the ultra and the non-ultra starts at 899 pm instead of 1399 pm
What version is Telkom offering there though? Afaik the Exynos Ultra only comes in 256GB? Launch price is set to be R36 999. 1399x24 is R33 576

tm458

What version is Telkom offering there though? Afaik the Exynos Ultra only comes in 256GB? Launch price is set to be R36 999. 1399x24 is R33 576
pretty sure its the exynos version because that's the ones we get in south africa, i don't know why their pricing is like that but yeah

corwill

Vodacom pre-order deals are out
Same starting prices for the 24 months contracts as telkom ones

My impressions and opinion of Note 20 ..in general;.
If i look at Vodacom pre order it seems to me that ,
they have 3 differrent x Note 20"s

eg
Note 20 lte
Glass front (Gorilla Glass 5), plastic back
Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors

Note 20 5G

Note 20 5G ultra
Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus),
Dynamic AMOLED 2X capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors

it seems to me
Note 20 lte and Note 20 5G are the "plastic kind " covers ,smaller size 6.7 inches , etc etc
and then there is the
Note 20 5G Ultra with ,
Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus), stainless steel frame

Also it seems that Vodacom is punting mostly x 36 mths contract ......a marking ploy ?
so that it seems that monthly payments is low /affordable etc
The x 24 mths contract is just plain ridiculous..... ..eg R1499 ..??? Really ???

My biggest "gripe ' is the inferior
Exynos 990 chip ,as demonstrated in various test with the S 20 range ????
vs the now improved Snapdragon 865+ chip ,
which is now 10% faster than the Snapdragon 865 chip in S20 range .
Also I do not believe any of Samsungs "heavy optimize " of the 990 chip is going to help much >
Good luck

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
My impressions and opinion of Note 20 ..in general;.
If i look at Vodacom pre order it seems to me that ,
they have 3 differrent x Note 20"s

eg
Note 20 lte

Note 20 5G

Note 20 5G ultra
Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus),
Dynamic AMOLED 2X capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors

it seems to me
Note 20 lte and Note 20 5G are the "plastic kind " covers ,smaller size 6.7 inches , etc etc
and then there is the
Note 20 5G Ultra with ,
Glass front (Gorilla Glass Victus), glass back (Gorilla Glass Victus), stainless steel frame

Also it seems that Vodacom is punting mostly x 36 mths contract ......a marking ploy ?
so that it seems that monthly payments is low /affordable etc
The x 24 mths contract is just plain ridiculous..... ..eg R1499 ..??? Really ???

My biggest "gripe ' is the inferior
Exynos 990 chip ,as demonstrated in various test with the S 20 range ????
vs the now improved Snapdragon 865+ chip ,
which is now 10% faster than the Snapdragon 865 chip in S20 range .
Also I do not believe any of Samsungs "heavy optimize " of the 990 chip is going to help much >
Good luck
The Note range has gone to the pits unfortunately,IMO. One needs to wait for the Fold range to be more viable as it seems Samsung’s crazy pricing of S20 and Note20 is simply to pay for Fold R&D, IMO, that’s where they are focusing resources hence why I think we are seeing such missteps in the the S and Note range.

I don’t get why they continue to punt the Exynos990 globally, remember the Note4 days? We all got Snapdragon back then unless you went for the Note4 3G in which case you got Exynos.

I think this years Samsungs range are to be given a miss for the 2021 range, I think the 2021 range will see great improvements with the more efficient 5nm chips coming in.

lexor

Expert Member
Completed the pre-order on MTN website.

Got a call 3 days later instructing me to pre-order by calling customer care.

Customer care says no - I must wait for a call from MTN !!

I gave up and decided to give the overpriced phone a skip and save some money.

Thanks MTN .

Midnights_Ghost

What are the chances that the Note 20 goes on special on black friday?

Last year my boss got a good deal on the Note 10 on BF. Almost R400pm than the previously advertised price with some bonus data.

I am holding out to see what BF has to offer

genetic

Honorary Master
We'll get the slower international Exynos 990 version - another reason to steer clear - especially considering the high price point.

A new petition has popped up on Change.org against the use of Exynos processors in Samsung phones. The petition demands that Samsung stop using Exynos chipsets instead of Qualcomm’s Snapdragon counterparts. It also calls into question the use of Samsung camera sensors on Samsung phones in place of the ones made by Sony.

“These parts are inferior, and there are numerous comparisons online,” the online petition states. “The Exynos phones are slower, have worse battery life, worse camera sensors and processing, get hotter and throttle faster, etc.,” it adds.

It’s true that Samsung’s Exynos variants traditionally underperform in comparison to Snapdragon versions. The company launches Exynos variants of its phones — especially flagships such as the Galaxy S and Galaxy Note series — in markets such as Asia and Europe. Meanwhile, the same Samsung phones are launched in North America with Snapdragon processors.

Samsung is choosing to use its Exynos 990 SoC on the Galaxy Note 20 and the Note 20 Ultra in most countries — except in select markets like the U.S, where the device rocks the Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 Plus. Samsung has been shoving its Exynos chipsets down peoples’ throats for many years now despite the fact they are known to underperform the counterparts from Qualcomm.

We don’t know when Samsung will end its seemingly eternal desire to willfully dissuade users wanting the unbeatable flagship performance, especially when they are paying the full price. What we do know is that we will be testing the performance of both the variants over the next month and bringing a comprehensive comparison to you.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Weekly poll results: Galaxy Note20 booed, Ultra gets standing ovation

The poll results are in and we have good news and bad news for Samsung. The Galaxy Note20 Ultra is shaping to be a proper hit, winning the approval of over half of the over 30,000 people to vote. The Galaxy Z Fold2 is also showing increasing interest in the form factor, while the vanilla Galaxy Note20 got snubbed.

The detailed breakdown shows that over 45% find the Galaxy Note20 Ultra an awesome phone, worthy of its sky high price tag. A further 7.6% would be looking to get it should they get a deal.

Not surprisingly the Exynos 990 chipset powering the phone in some regions is causing the most people to look around. There were plenty unhappy to get that over the Snapdragon 865 in the S20 family, but now that the US, China and South Korea are getting the plus version of the Qualcomm chip the rest of the world clearly believes it's missing out.

In contrast the regular Galaxy Note20 got outright rejected by every third voter, while one in four believe that it's either overpriced or that it's losing too many features for the price difference to the Ultra. Just over 5% of you liked the Note20 for what is, which is the lowest approval rating we've seen in a good while.

Poll 1.JPGPoll 2.JPG

Bosbouer

Collected the 20 ultra this afternoon from my favourite Vodacom shop in Nelspruit. Set up. Phone is appreciable quicker than the 10+. No case in box but there is the same type of screen protector on as was on the 10+ and S20 series. Confirm no spare points for the S-pen. And the bronze is no longer a fingerprint magnet. Got the 256 Gb and it's a dual sim

Attachments

genetic

Honorary Master
Collected the 20 ultra this afternoon from my favourite Vodacom shop in Nelspruit. Set up. Phone is appreciable quicker than the 10+. No case in box but there is the same type of screen protector on as was on the 10+ and S20 series. Confirm no spare points for the S-pen. And the bronze is no longer a fingerprint magnet. Got the 256 Gb and it's a dual sim
Congrats man.. not that it makes a difference I guess, but I wouldn't fork out R35k for an inferior Exynos processor when you can get much faster devices for cheaper... Unless the S-Pen is a thing to you?

Still a great phone no doubt, but for the price of an Apple MacBook Pro.. Eish...

Thirstycurve

How much do you pay per month?