Samsung Galaxy Note 20

VandaL

Never really put much stock in benchmarks but the 'same' phones having an 18s difference is really unforgivable given the minimum contract price of R1400X24. I believe there's also quite a considerable battery life difference as well as camera processing quality.

What also doesn't make any sense is the phone went from R37000 retail with a preorder deal via the Samsung app giving you a R4000 voucher. To Incredible Corruption offering it for R29999 with a R3000 IC voucher and the Galaxy buds live(adds up to R7000) why not take away the stupid voucher and the shitty overpriced wireless buds and retail it for R23000, while still a silly price it isnt as bad and im sure they will move a lot more units.

Hard pass at that price will stick with my note 9 for now. Maybe look at the Xiaomi Mi10 Ultra. If the Note 20 ultra goes for R999X24 or less on a BF deal I might be ok with signing up.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra's Victus glass impresses in drop test

Samsung brought the Galaxy Note20 Ultra with sheets of Gorilla Glass Victus on the front and the back - the successor to the Gorilla Glass 6, which promised better scratch and shatter protection.

The YouTube channel PhoneBuff subjected the phone to its usual drop test and compared it with Apple’s top dog - the iPhone 11 Pro Max. You can watch the results below.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Not terribly shocked:

The Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra is outselling the vanilla model 10:1 in China

Samsung may not enjoy great sales in China in general, but a couple of thousand buyers should still offer a reliable enough statistic about the popularity of the new Note phones – the Samsung Galaxy Note20 5G outsold its vanilla sibling 10:1 as @IceUniverse spotted.

This is based on the sales at JD.com, which lists the number of units sold. The data shows that the Ultra currently stands at just over 2,200 sales while the Galaxy Note20 5G is still in the 200 range.

There’s quite the difference in price between the two, CNY 9,200 vs. CNY 7,400, but the premium pricing isn’t scaring people off – instead, it’s the uninspiring specs of the vanilla model that are turning people away.

VandaL

The vanilla note is a joke tbh, there are a ton better options with more features. The only person buying that phone is desperate for the Spen.

The MKBHD review of the ultra kinda says it all. For the price everything should be amazing. It's not a case of wow this phone is really good and look at the price only $800... I don't even think last years top of the range Iphones were $1400. In saying that the new Iphones are just around the corner so should be a nice lol to hear those prices.

Been watching this guys reviews for years, proper real review for those who want to spend this much on a phone.

Last edited:

Glue

Expert Member
Lol
Had to take pictures of my id and my wife's p20 pro took better ones then my note 20 ultra did!!! Not very happy

corwill

Samsung should explain this... Exynos vs Qualcomm?! - Note 20 Ultra - JerryRigEverything

I've also, just watched this video, by JerryRigEverything, very interesting and entertaining,
His comments was exactly what i suspected it was going to be.!
Snapdragon seems superior.......
and more efficient, than the Exynos chip, by +-
15 %
One thing i agree ( with Zack ) , seems like my Note 10 is also going to be my last Note device.
Good luck.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Samsung should explain this... Exynos vs Qualcomm?! - Note 20 Ultra - JerryRigEverything

Zack with an incredibly comprehensive video there, like wow, even swapping out the cool systems love it!

Very sad to see the Exynos has become a mere shadow of itself, it’s interesting how the tables have turned since the Galaxy Note5 days where the Snapdragon 810 was so bad that Samsung elected to use the Exynos 7420 in all regions, that chip was good even a year after that. Even before that the Samsung Hummingbird in the OG Galaxy S was way ahead of it’s time.

The fact that an Exynos Note20 Ultra has similar performance to a year old Note10+ is quite shocking.

I hope Samsung sort that out next year.

In all honesty though a part of me still really likes the overall Note20 Ultra package, I am disappointed they didn’t push it far hence I still feel like they are taking the Note brand to the pits, it’s just a shame about the SoCs, because the rest of the device is absolutely brilliant after having seen some reviews especially of the camera, they fixed a lot of what was wrong in the S20 Ultra and added that touch of premium the Note range always brings. I hope the Note30 Ultra uses a similar design.

Overall, the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is the one to get now, that is where Samsung innovation sits.

corwill

Zack with an incredibly comprehensive video there, like wow, even swapping out the cool systems love it!

Very sad to see the Exynos has become a mere shadow of itself, it’s interesting how the tables have turned since the Galaxy Note5 days where the Snapdragon 810 was so bad that Samsung elected to use the Exynos 7420 in all regions, that chip was good even a year after that. Even before that the Samsung Hummingbird in the OG Galaxy S was way ahead of it’s time.

The fact that an Exynos Note20 Ultra has similar performance to a year old Note10+ is quite shocking.

In all honesty though a part of me still really likes the overall Note20 Ultra package, I am disappointed they didn’t push it far hence I still feel like they are taking the Note brand to the pits, it’s just a shame about the SoCs, because the rest of the device is absolutely brilliant after having seen some reviews especially of the camera, they fixed a lot of what was wrong in the S20 Ultra and added that touch of premium the Note range always brings. I hope the Note30 Ultra uses a similar design.

Overall, the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is the one to get now, that is where Samsung innovation sits.

I agree overall, with your post.
However i don't think we will see a Note 30 .?
Personally, i think the Note 20, is the last Note in the series.?

Read (rumors) that Samsung wants to replace the Note series, with the Galaxy Z fold series, as it's flagship device .
I think, you also speculated about this, in you previous post ?
Anyway , i saw the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is selling
locally (SA) for about R49, 000..????

Madness,
somewhere you have to draw a line...... price wise. !

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
I agree overall, with your post.
However i don't think we will see a Note 30 .?
Personally, i think the Note 20, is the last Note in the series.?

Read (rumors) that Samsung wants to replace the Note series, with the Galaxy Z fold series, as it's flagship device .
I think, you also speculated about this, in you previous post ?
Anyway , i saw the Galaxy Z Fold 2 is selling
locally (SA) for about R49, 000..????

Madness,
somewhere you have to draw a line...... price wise. !

Oh yes, I’ve read about that to. It does make sense though, thanks for pointing that out, I guess this has been part of Samsung’s strategy to eventually combine the S and Note while they work on “the next big thing” which is their Foldables?

The pricing on the Fold 2 is crazy, maybe the Fold 3 production will have matured enough and reached economies scale to a point where the pricing is closer to what a Note20 is today?

With that said, they have come far with that Fold 2, I’m seriously impressed but yiiirrrrr it’s expensive
I cannot wait for them to start putting Ingress Protection on their folds and making them a true “go-to device”.

corwill

Oh yes, I’ve read about that to. It does make sense though, thanks for pointing that out, I guess this has been part of Samsung’s strategy to eventually combine the S and Note while they work on “the next big thing” which is their Foldables?

The pricing on the Fold 2 is crazy, maybe the Fold 3 production will have matured enough and reached economies scale to a point where the pricing is closer to what a Note20 is today?

With that said, they have come far with that Fold 2, I’m seriously impressed but yiiirrrrr it’s expensive
I cannot wait for them to start putting Ingress Protection on their folds and making them a true “go-to device”.
Here's a tweet today ( 12 September 2020) from "famous" Samsung leaker"
Ice Universe on Twitter..... seems to echo what you and me were speculating about.... the future of Note devices and foldable phones.

" @UniverseIce: Samsung has shifted its focus to foldable phones. If you think the Galaxy S21 series is not powerful enough, don’t be surprised.
Shared via TweetCaster "

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Here's a tweet today ( 12 September 2020) from "famous" Samsung leaker"
Ice Universe on Twitter..... seems to echo what you and me were speculating about.... the future of Note devices and foldable phones.

" @UniverseIce: Samsung has shifted its focus to foldable phones. If you think the Galaxy S21 series is not powerful enough, don’t be surprised.
Shared via TweetCaster "

We were on the money, this is awesome news

I am now truly looking forward to the Fold 3, I also read that Apple are busy with trials of Samsung foldable displays, so within the next 2-3 years this space is about to get very competitive.

corwill

We were on the money, this is awesome news

I am now truly looking forward to the Fold 3, I also read that Apple are busy with trials of Samsung foldable displays, so within the next 2-3 years this space is about to get very competitive.
Forgot to include snip /screenshot of Ice Universe tweet
Good luck. SmartSelect_20200912-144523_TweetCaster%20Pro.jpg