Samsung Galaxy S21

Tector

Speedtest.net results
Same spot in my house, few minutes apart...

S21 (bought Jan 2021) 113.92 Mbps
S20 (bought Nov 2020) 73.95 Mbps

Same sim, same settings, same network everything... Almost 5G speeds on the S21...

Id live to take it to work and go past Sandton, just to do a 5G speedtest.
Interresting. You can dial *#0011# on your dialer and do a screenshot on both s20 and s21 then maybe we can see why that is. Maybe the s21 aggregates more bands? I would also love to see what you get on 5G. Word of advice though, use the mybb speed test app as that doesn't use data on MTN. Not sure of other speed test traffic

nivek

Executive Member
The only other numbers on the box are a serial no and the imei numbers.

If you tell me where to look, I'll go digging

That's alarming.

I didn't expect the DS functionality as I don't need it anymore so I didn't worry about it.

Going to test in a bit, I'm be a bit upset if I'm banned from using a feature that's available.

FYI, IC made no mention that it was DS or VC phone except for VSP at the end of the phone on the invoice.

Hopefully that's changed with the S21 but I won't hold my breath with Vodacom

The_David

Anyone from Telkom got their phone yet. Only thing I have is an sms to state my upgrade has been approved but will be confirmed with a phone call.

corwill

Hopefully that's changed with the S21 but I won't hold my breath with Vodacom
FYI, i have a Vodacom branded Note 20 Ultra 5g which is dual sim.
Dual sim (2 x sim cards) works fine no issues.
Tested and no issues found
So the S21 Vodacom dual sim, should be the same?

However, the real issue with Vodacom and other
Service Providers, is that they don't enable
esim.....even though our dual sims devices... like my Note 20 , are esim capable..!
It has the necessary Samsung Firmware installed
etc . Unfortunately the esim capabilities (enabling etc etc)
is controlled by Service providers.
It seems ( to me) Service Providers aren't keen on enabling esim, as the fear it, makes it easier for customers, to migrate to another Service provider.?
Good luck.

T-BOM

Anyone from Telkom got their phone yet. Only thing I have is an sms to state my upgrade has been approved but will be confirmed with a phone call.
Me - You have to get a phone call . the first time I applied went nowhere ( no Call) .

CryWolfDB

The best thing to do is phone their sales department directly. I did my pre order the day after launch and never got a call back. I eventually phoned them and was told to re-apply for the pre-order. Applied again and still no call. Yesterday I gave up and phoned their sales department. Got the pre-order done in a few minutes. Now I am just waiting for delivery.

werny

Expert Member
Just received my S21+ from MTN.

First thing I checked was whether the dual-sim functionality was blocked, and I'm happy to report that it's not, picking up both sim-card slots. Happiness! :):love:

The_David

The best thing to do is phone their sales department directly. I did my pre order the day after launch and never got a call back. I eventually phoned them and was told to re-apply for the pre-order. Applied again and still no call. Yesterday I gave up and phoned their sales department. Got the pre-order done in a few minutes. Now I am just waiting for delivery.
gees this is turning into a mission as well, been trying to get through for ages

The_David

finally got through and they will not assist for an upgrade, only for a new sale. Told them that it didnt work they said then i must go into a store. :cautious:

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Just received my S21+ from MTN.

First thing I checked was whether the dual-sim functionality was blocked, and I'm happy to report that it's not, picking up both sim-card slots. Happiness! :):love:
How did you check?

Tremayne

Mine arrived today from Incredible Connection and appears to be a VC phone with physical dual sim, cool double sided tray instead of the normal long one. Supposed to have an extra R1000 voucher for IC aswell, but will see....

Pre ordered it on Friday evening last week.

Not much of a leap from the S20 and mostly feels the same... Though I've noticed the finger print reader is MUCH faster, the adaptive 120Hz display is nice though seems to be a gimmick, plastic back feels good in the hands, 3 camera lenses I feel are better than the big glass lens that cover them on s20, noticeably faster than S20 too and seems to run cooler, though I'll probably only test this theory when I get a case for it and start using it, hopefully before I have to give my old employer their S20 back so I can do a proper review.

Only hassle is... No covers available apart from a select few at Takealot, no clear case included anymore either :(

On the plus side, the flat edge is a pleasure to hold with no case
I ordered the same deal and colour from IC on Friday evening as well. Mine is with the courier, so expecting it tomorrow. Did you receive a Gift card? Their adverts online indicate an IC gift card.

Last edited:

werny

Expert Member
Also, very happy with the LTE-A (4G+) speeds on the S21+, on my S10 I got just below 100Mbps, this is what I get now, the best LTE-A speeds I've seen to date. :love:

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-27 at 16.40.27.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Yuu