Samsung Galaxy S21

Tector

Can someone please tell me if there is still the XFA and XFV versions of these phones? Product code seems to be ending in AFA now so not sure which is Vodacom and which are the others? Wanna get one compatible with MTN Volte etc. but not looking to flash when new

Duke of Hazard

Mine arrived today from Incredible Connection and appears to be a VC phone with physical dual sim, cool double sided tray instead of the normal long one. Supposed to have an extra R1000 voucher for IC aswell, but will see....

Pre ordered it on Friday evening last week.

Not much of a leap from the S20 and mostly feels the same... Though I've noticed the finger print reader is MUCH faster, the adaptive 120Hz display is nice though seems to be a gimmick, plastic back feels good in the hands, 3 camera lenses I feel are better than the big glass lens that cover them on s20, noticeably faster than S20 too and seems to run cooler, though I'll probably only test this theory when I get a case for it and start using it, hopefully before I have to give my old employer their S20 back so I can do a proper review.

Only hassle is... No covers available apart from a select few at Takealot, no clear case included anymore either :(

On the plus side, the flat edge is a pleasure to hold with no case

Attachments

• 20210126_202855.jpg
    20210126_202855.jpg
    978.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210126_202417.jpg
    20210126_202417.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • Love
Reactions: Yuu

marhsava

Mine arrived today from Incredible Connection and appears to be a VC phone with physical dual sim, cool double sided tray instead of the normal long one. Supposed to have an extra R1000 voucher for IC aswell, but will see....

Not much of a leap from the S20 and mostly feels the same... Though I've noticed the finger print reader is MUCH faster, the adaptive 120Hz display is nice though seems to be a gimmick, plastic back feels good in the hands, 3 camera lenses I feel are better than the big glass lens that cover them on s20, noticeably faster than S20 too and seems to run cooler, though I'll probably only test this theory when I get a case for it and start using it, hopefully before I have to give my old employer their S20 back so I can do a proper review.

Only hassle is... No covers available apart from a select few at Takealot, no clear case included anymore either :(

The UAG covers from takelot is actually quite impressive. I ordered the spigen cover from Amazon , it's also good(from experience) , which other cover's you was looking at?

Tector

Care to share the model number? And if it has the Vodacom splash screen on startup?

Duke of Hazard

The UAG covers from takelot is actually quite impressive. I ordered the spigen cover from Amazon , it's also good(from experience) , which other cover's you was looking at?
I'm taking a more office based role now so I was thinking of getting the led view cover maybe from Samsung with my free voucher for the store. Also had great experiences with their protective covers.

Nothing for S21 in their store yet though

Duke of Hazard

Care to share the model number? And if it has the Vodacom splash screen on startup?
Not 100% sure on VC splash on start up, though I'm sure it does have one. It's loaded with a few VC apps that i was allowed to remove and some preloaded VC wallpapers.

Model no: SM991B/DS

Attachments

• 20210127_065422.jpg
    20210127_065422.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 35

Tector

Not 100% sure on VC splash on start up, though I'm sure it does have one. It's loaded with a few VC apps that i was allowed to remove and some preloaded VC wallpapers.

Model no: SM991B/DS
Thanks. So model no is G991BZKGAFA? Nothing about XFV like previous Samsungs?

nivek

Executive Member

Out if interest have you tried to use the dual sim slot?
I needed dual sim and chatted to Vodacom about it, was told that even if the device has the capability they disable it in firmware..

So I moved my contract to Telkom (waiting delivery)

Duke of Hazard

The only other numbers on the box are a serial no and the imei numbers.

Thanks. So model no is G991BZKGAFA? Nothing about XFV like previous Samsungs?
If you tell me where to look, I'll go digging
Out if interest have you tried to use the dual sim slot?
I needed dual sim and chatted to Vodacom about it, was told that even if the device has the capability they disable it in firmware..

So I moved my contract to Telkom (waiting delivery)
That's alarming.

I didn't expect the DS functionality as I don't need it anymore so I didn't worry about it.

Going to test in a bit, I'm be a bit upset if I'm banned from using a feature that's available.

FYI, IC made no mention that it was DS or VC phone except for VSP at the end of the phone on the invoice.

Duke of Hazard

Dual sim works with 2 MTN Sims, at least appears to work.

No Vodacom Splash, just Samsung Galaxy with Knox and then just Samsung Galaxy... No S21 or anything which kinda made me think it was a fake at first.

If you're buying phone cash, highly recommend Incredible Connection instead of Telkom.

On another note.... This phone is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster in speedtest.net! This is on S21 when the sim cards were installed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127-072129_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-072129_Firefox.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20210127-071819_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-071819_One UI Home.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 38

Tector

The only other numbers on the box are a serial no and the imei numbers.

If you tell me where to look, I'll go digging

That's alarming.

I didn't expect the DS functionality as I don't need it anymore so I didn't worry about it.

Going to test in a bit, I'm be a bit upset if I'm banned from using a feature that's available.

FYI, IC made no mention that it was DS or VC phone except for VSP at the end of the phone on the invoice.
Well your post lower down answers my question kind of. If you have 2x MTN sims in and the VOLTE works the software is compatible with MTN. If it was Voda specific software previously the VOLTE wouldn't have worked with MTN. If you insert a Voda sim and the VOLTE works as well then maybe Samsung finally dropped the stupid network specific software they had with previous Samsungs. If you can maybe just check the software info at settings to confirm it is G991BZKGAFA then at least I know what to look for when shopping around. TIA

Duke of Hazard

Speedtest.net results
Same spot in my house, few minutes apart...

S21 (bought Jan 2021) 113.92 Mbps
S20 (bought Nov 2020) 73.95 Mbps

Same sim, same settings, same network everything... Almost 5G speeds on the S21...

Id live to take it to work and go past Sandton, just to do a 5G speedtest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127-073437_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-073437_Firefox.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 27

Duke of Hazard

Well your post lower down answers my question kind of. If you have 2x MTN sims in and the VOLTE works the software is compatible with MTN. If it was Voda specific software previously the VOLTE wouldn't have worked with MTN. If you insert a Voda sim and the VOLTE works as well then maybe Samsung finally dropped the stupid network specific software they had with previous Samsungs. If you can maybe just check the software info at settings to confirm it is G991BZKGAFA then at least I know what to look for when shopping around. TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127-074339_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-074339_Settings.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 33