Samsung Galaxy S3

I don't know what it is. Gps is almost always off, I do have haptic feedback turned on, not sure how much that chews. Other than that it's fairly normal usage.
 
Got my SGS3 from work yesterday.

Have already got it going with Dual Boot ROMS with CM10 and Tweaked Stock Rom.

Very refined experience compared to HTC Sensation i must say!
 
Can't recall -- is this only after the JB update? Sound like your battery is faulty ... ?

I can't really say. I used ICS in Singapore but I used my phone a helluva lot. Returned here and installed JB and use it moderately I'd say. I make and receive about 3 hours of calls usually with the speaker on. I use the voice recorder to take dictation notes or record the odd meeting. WiFi is always on so that I don't eat into my data which is switched off. Screen is set to about 30% at all times. And with all of this I get less than a full day's charge.

The overnight drainage is a killer though. I have to leave my phone on charge overnight regardless of the battery state because it's always drained in the morning if I don't...
 
Get the app gsam battery. It analyse all your apps and features to determine what is chowing battery. You'd be surprised how much power the screen use with wrong settings.

I'll have a look at it, thanks...
 
I can't really say. I used ICS in Singapore but I used my phone a helluva lot. Returned here and installed JB and use it moderately I'd say. I make and receive about 3 hours of calls usually with the speaker on. I use the voice recorder to take dictation notes or record the odd meeting. WiFi is always on so that I don't eat into my data which is switched off. Screen is set to about 30% at all times. And with all of this I get less than a full day's charge.

The overnight drainage is a killer though. I have to leave my phone on charge overnight regardless of the battery state because it's always drained in the morning if I don't...

I don't know if you've tried any of these things, but here's a great post form Tariq786 from a few weeks back. Also disable the automatic update check in the Play store, that's a real drain.

I got an S3 yesterday, coming from an S2 and a Note previously, and am on flight mode since 5am this morning (only getting sim tomorrow). Now at 10.30, I'm on 98% after 5 and a half hours. I've only checked email through wi-fi earlier and I know it's not real conditions, but maybe it gives an idea of what is possible :)

I'm on the UK stock 4.1.1 with cf-root btw.

attachment.php


No idea why Temple Run is on the list. I installed and played it last night but obviously there is something still 'awake' and asking for something :)
 
Secondly, your wifi network is causing your phone to wake unnecessarily.
"wlan_rx_wake" (): 1 h 7 m 19 s (4039 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)2822/0/2822 10.7%
"wlan_ctrl_wake" (): 52 m 39 s (3159 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)652/0/653 8.3%

This usually happens when your router has DHCP and assigns a dynamic IP to your phone.
To fix this permanently assign a STATIC IP to your phone.
The easiest way to do this is to connect your phone to WIFI, now log into your router (via a PC) and reserve your phones current IP for it. This should eliminate the constant "handshaking" done by the router and your phone to "renew it's lease" for lack of a better term. There is another way by explicitly setting Static IPs to your devices connected to the router, but it's more effort so lets first try the easy way ;).

You make this sound so easy.... :) Any chance of a more detailed explanation for us noobs? I have a Belkin router. I'm in settings but have no idea where to reserve the IP.

Online they claim you just click the "reserve" button next to the phone on the DHCP client list but I have no reserve button. Possibly the way my router is set up.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for that. Assigned a static IP to the phone and will fiddle with the rest later when it comes off charge. Yes, it's charging again...
 
You make this sound so easy.... :) Any chance of a more detailed explanation for us noobs? I have a Belkin router. I'm in settings but have no idea where to reserve the IP.

There are quite a few online guides. Mine is called DHCP Reservation List. I just cope the MAC address, the existing IP address of that connected device, and give it a name. And presto - static IP assigned...
 
I can't really say. I used ICS in Singapore but I used my phone a helluva lot. Returned here and installed JB and use it moderately I'd say. I make and receive about 3 hours of calls usually with the speaker on. I use the voice recorder to take dictation notes or record the odd meeting. WiFi is always on so that I don't eat into my data which is switched off. Screen is set to about 30% at all times. And with all of this I get less than a full day's charge.

The overnight drainage is a killer though. I have to leave my phone on charge overnight regardless of the battery state because it's always drained in the morning if I don't...

That does sound strange. In my experience wifi uses very little battery and your screen is set low. Either the battery is faulty or the charger or charge unit is faulty?
 
I must say so far... this juice defender seems to be helping. Its 14:00 and I still habeas 51% life. At this rate I could make it until 10pm which will be a massive improvement!
 
Biggest things I've found that drains the battery:

* Email app. I set up ActiveSync, and by default it polls the server continously. I changed this to 15 minute intervals.
* Google Latitude. Go to Maps, Settings and disable the location settings there.
* WiFi uses less power when connected to an AP than GSM/UMTS, so I switch on my Wifi at home and the office, and disable mobile data. However, Wifi uses more power than GSM/UMTS when not connected to an AP, so don't leave it on all the time.

It's now 17:00, and I took my phone off charge at 09:00. It's currently at 67%, but I also used Waze for 30 minutes this morning, draining 11% of the battery while I drove, so it should have been higher.
 
Ok, so it's 18:00. I still have 35% battery life (from 6am). This is a MASSIVE improvement from Juice Defender (was dead or close to dead by 18:00). What's irritating is why doesn't this come built into the device? Why must we "hack" the device to get decent battery life out of it.
 
Juice Defender is deactivating certain services. Some people would not want this hence the reason it does not come standard. I tried Juice Defender but was not interested in what it offered. I now use Llama to switch wifi and mobile data on and off dependent on my location.
 
That does sound strange. In my experience wifi uses very little battery and your screen is set low. Either the battery is faulty or the charger or charge unit is faulty?

I use multiple chargers - all genuine...
 
Juice Defender is deactivating certain services. Some people would not want this hence the reason it does not come standard. I tried Juice Defender but was not interested in what it offered. I now use Llama to switch wifi and mobile data on and off dependent on my location.

don't mean to bug you mate but what do you mean? I used my phone like I always have. Phone email and data and had a much better battery life. Seems like this piece of software does its job.
 
don't mean to bug you mate but what do you mean? I used my phone like I always have. Phone email and data and had a much better battery life. Seems like this piece of software does its job.

An example, having your mobile/wifi disconnect and only connect every predefined time period. Now my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, if i have that set at 15 minutes intervals I will only receive a whatsapp message, for example, after 15 minutes when Juice Defender does it's regular connect. Likewise with email and the like.
 
After all the talk I thought let me try Juice Defender Ultimate again and realised why I stopped using it the first time. I have it set to connect wifi/mobile every 10 minutes to check for emails and sync etc. I just switched my screen on after not looking at the phone for over an hour and 6 Whatsapp messages came through, some 45 minutes old. Now surely the whole "connect every 10 minutes" thing should mean that I get these messages?
 
An example, having your mobile/wifi disconnect and only connect every predefined time period. Now my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, if i have that set at 15 minutes intervals I will only receive a whatsapp message, for example, after 15 minutes when Juice Defender does it's regular connect. Likewise with email and the like.

Well mate, you're absolutely correct. This is not a solution. It delays messages and emails etc coming through. That totally defeats the point. Juice Defender deleted. What next?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X