Samsung Galaxy S3

I thought I would add my 2c.
I have dropped my phone on a tiled floor more than once since I got it in July 2012. Luckily the phone is still in a perfect condition. I must admit the one time it was protected by the same Speck cover linked in previous posts. I feel it is an awesome cover. I have changed to a Cygnett cover which seems okay (only because the power button and volume buttons are not covered).

To add to how robust I found the S3, I was sailing the one evening and my phone in a cubbyhole with a beer that fell over. I found my phone an hour or so later basically drenched in beer. Once I dried it as well as I could the touch screen didn't work but the device worked. I then removed the battery and sim card and placed it all in a bag of rice (I had no silica gel). The next day I assembled the phone and it was 100% again. I thought corrosion might take place in the next week but (touch wood) more than 2 months later the device is still perfect.

I for one love the device and it has proved itself to me. If the screen had to break now I would be bummed but at myself and not at the device's build quality.
 
Consumers won't move on, because on aggregate the S3 and S4 obliterate the competition. Sales figures speak for themselves, and they will continue doing so after the S4 has launched.

They don't "obliterate" the competition they out market them. Marketing is the PRIMARY reason for the S3's success, secondary to that is solid hardware. So yes, very good specs but for your average joe, the HTC line is just as good if not better with the latest generation and they didn't compromise on build quality and finish.

Samsung is leveraging its brand position to deliver a spec sheet in a plastic shell.
 
They don't "obliterate" the competition they out market them. Marketing is the PRIMARY reason for the S3's success, secondary to that is solid hardware. So yes, very good specs but for your average joe, the HTC line is just as good if not better with the latest generation and they didn't compromise on build quality and finish.

Samsung is leveraging its brand position to deliver a spec sheet in a plastic shell.

But for that plastic shell you get a replaceable battery and MicroSD expansion. Until the others realise that those two features alone sell a substantial amount Galaxies they will always be playing catch-up.
 
But for that plastic shell you get a replaceable battery and MicroSD expansion. Until the others realise that those two features alone sell a substantial amount Galaxies they will always be playing catch-up.

Its why I bought it. But I dont think you're right about there being a substantial amount of people looking at that. Maybe on the forums and among techies.
 
They don't "obliterate" the competition they out market them. Marketing is the PRIMARY reason for the S3's success, secondary to that is solid hardware. So yes, very good specs but for your average joe, the HTC line is just as good if not better with the latest generation and they didn't compromise on build quality and finish.

Samsung is leveraging its brand position to deliver a spec sheet in a plastic shell.

I disagree. While it is true that Samsung spends an extraordinary amount of money on marketing, their phones are also the best.

I don't know anyone with an expensive Android phone that isn't an S3, technophobe or not. TouchWiz is easier to use than Sense and other stock launchers, Samsung adds lots of features, the S3 was well priced from day one, it supports microSD and 32GB microSD cards are cheap, 32GB is the standard internal capacity, the battery is more powerful than anything else out there, the battery is replaceable, the camera is right up there with iPhone, audio output is good, the bootloader isn't locked, the phone is razor thin, it has hardware navigation buttons etc. etc.

The S3 slays the competition, and so will the S4.
 
I disagree. While it is true that Samsung spends an extraordinary amount of money on marketing, their phones are also the best.

I don't know anyone with an expensive Android phone that isn't an S3, technophobe or not. TouchWiz is easier to use than Sense and other stock launchers, Samsung adds lots of features, the S3 was well priced from day one, it supports microSD and 32GB microSD cards are cheap, 32GB is the standard internal capacity, the battery is more powerful than anything else out there, the battery is replaceable, the camera is right up there with iPhone, audio output is good, the bootloader isn't locked, the phone is razor thin, it has hardware navigation buttons etc. etc.

The S3 slays the competition, and so will the S4.

I think we've got a fanboy over here.

I think most tech journos disagree with you viz touchwhiz, s-crapware aka features. Battery life (not capacity) is similar on most the top end handsets, the camera is not up there with the iPhone.

Again it's a good phone. By no means miles ahead, which is more true with the s4 vs htc one.
 
Last edited:
I loved the S3, if I could see my flippin screen (it won't come on - phone is on but screen dead this time) I would take a screen shot of my Whatsapp chat with a mate just last night...he asked me what I think of the phone as he is considering one. My words, "Best phone I've ever had!".

I chalked up the first drop to bad luck, screen was obliterated (you can see the pics of that screen - it's bad). That was my first drop of an S3...and the screen was that bad. Bad luck...what can you do.
Replaced the screen, continue loving the phone...one month later, oops, lands on the floor (infact, I managed to get a foot half under it, it didn't even impact the floor directly), cracked again, although not a single scuff mark or scratch on the edge that hit the ground. I didn't even think anything of it. I almost didn't look at the screen before putting it in my pocket.
That's only the second time i've dropped the phone, and it's the second time it's cracked. Bad luck or the phone tends to be a little susceptible to unexpected amount of damage. Judging by the amount of friends and acquaintances that have cracked S3's and the amount of reports online about it worldwide, I'm thinking the latter.

I've just bought the S3 Mini to replace mine, I'll give it to my wife and I'll take her S3, upgrades are due in August, I'll get the S4 after it's had a bit of time to prove itself.
 
I think we've got a fanboy over here.

I think most tech journos disagree with you viz touchwhiz, s-crapware aka features. Battery life (not capacity) is similar on most the top end handsets, the camera is not up there with the iPhone.

Again it's a good phone. By no means miles ahead, which is more true with the s4 vs htc one.

Yes, I'm such a fanboy I don't even run Samsung firmware. And the camera is up there with the iPhone, and it's certainly better than HTC.

The S3 is miles ahead. I literally do not know one person who would consider any Android other than a Samsung flagship. The microSD slot is a big deal for everyone I know with the phone. For around R200 you can get 32GB to store music, movies and backups, and leave internal memory free for apps and pictures. Batteries are pretty cheap - you can double your battery life by using a battery saving app and Greenify, and double it again with a second battery.
 
Fan boy or not, the phone is awesome. Touchwiz is not made for the developer nor is it made for the true user most of the time but think in terms of Samsungs market and if you watch the s4 unveil video for a better example

That video did not mention once about the hardware inside the phone or the android version until the end slide, touchwiz and Samsungs features are now selling to the masses who care for those features and that's what's selling these phones like made, it's a great phone coupled in my case with stock android and I love my device for all reasons, say what you want Samsung and it's stock software smile at the numbers Coming in
 
Not for the S3 according to the CM site??

Only nightly builds available for 10.1 on S3

Didn't spot it either. I'm running the latest nightly, my first CM, and it's glorious. Not concerned about firmware atm.
 
So how do you find CM compared to Omega?

Definitely better than Omega AOKP. Battery life is significantly better, and the system drains less resources. I also no longer have to frequently select my mobile network manually. It does include a bit of bloatware, but ROM Toolbox Pro was able to uninstall all of it.

It's so nice being back on v3 of the Play Store. Holy donuts is v4 ugly.
 
Wifi issue

Hey guys I'm having trouble with my wifi connectivity at home since last night.

Under the name of my network it says 'disabled'. I've deleted it, then scanned and saved my network again . It then first says 'authenticating' then 'obtaining IP address' and then back to 'disabled'. At work it works fine with the wifi.

And my laptop is working with my wifi at home. So I'm assuming the issue is with my phone and not my wifi.

Any suggestions to resolve this problem will be appreciated.
 
Don't know if anyone is running Temasek's CM10.1 with his kernel but it has to be the best version of CM10.1 around.

Battery life is excellent and a lot of users on the original CM10.1 thread are using his kernel.
 
Don't know if anyone is running Temasek's CM10.1 with his kernel but it has to be the best version of CM10.1 around.

Battery life is excellent and a lot of users on the original CM10.1 thread are using his kernel.

No idea. I'm running the April 10 nightly and it's awesome.

Link?
 
After last night's update of the CM10.1 Nightly the battery life is even better now. Wow!

Screenshot of today's usage. And I have been busy on it most of the morning on Twitter and Whatsapp.

uploadfromtaptalk1365842783877.jpg
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X