SARS E-Filing 2018

Filing done and dusted. Getting R18 000 back. refund due to Medical Aid, RA's and losses on rental of my Granny flat. Not selected for audit or verification.

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I'm quite chuffed. I expected to be flagged this year as its the first year i'm renting property out, so I had prepared a mountain of documents to support my claim for losses.:wtf:
If I may ask, what does it show as the payment date?

Koosvanwyk

has anyone seen this error before?

We could not display your calculation.
9863 - OUTSTANDING RECOGNITION OF TRANSFER
Yes

SARS is still busy reconciling data on their side (a ROT - "Recognition of Transfer" is a tax application when you transfer benefits from your employer sponsored retirement fund to another fund, or between preservation funds) you should wait until Monday next week and see if the error is still there

It is risky to submit now already as you might get comeback from SARS if there is any change in your data between now and when tax season opens !!

Last edited:

Koosvanwyk

Most likely the provident fund transfer required a directive/ROT to have been done. That is the most likely cause. You can probably submit the form without to much worry since the transfer shouldn't affect the calculation, but if the assessment is held up, you're going to have a few headaches.
You are not able to submit your tax return when you get that error

Jeruanamo

Submitted - flagged for audit even though my only reason for cash back is RA contributions (which are automatically filled in this year). I think their audit and verification rules are too harsh...

Most likely the provident fund transfer required a directive/ROT to have been done. That is the most likely cause. You can probably submit the form without to much worry since the transfer shouldn't affect the calculation, but if the assessment is held up, you're going to have a few headaches.
The receiving fund must submit a recognition of transfer to SARS. They can submit it electronically.

DCS

Filing done and dusted. Getting R18 000 back. refund due to Medical Aid, RA's and losses on rental of my Granny flat. Not selected for audit or verification.
Hey Mr. Muffin, if you don't mind me asking what do you mean by losses on rental?

Hey Mr. Muffin, if you don't mind me asking what do you mean by losses on rental?
You are allowed to offset losses incurred in running the business, from the income earned. In my case, the interest on my bond, rates and taxes, and other related costs are more than the rental earned.

DCS

You are allowed to offset losses incurred in running the business, from the income earned. In my case, the interest on my bond, rates and taxes, and other related costs are more than the rental earned.
Thanks! Sounded like you claimed non payment of rent as a loss somehow though probably just me not thinking straight this morning...

Did you by any chance include security costs? Like blue security?

Thanks! Sounded like you claimed non payment of rent as a loss somehow though probably just me not thinking straight this morning...

Did you by any chance include security costs? Like blue security?
Yes. Security and garden services. Any maintenance costs are allowed. Just not improvements.

adoali

What do you use as a supporting documents to claim for home office cleaning cost when you pay a cleaning lady who cleans twice a week in cash?

DCS

Yes. Security and garden services. Any maintenance costs are allowed. Just not improvements.
Improvements? Are you sure about this? The reason I ask is during last tax season we renovated a double garage into a flat which we started renting out. Pretty much loaded all the building costs onto the return (through the guidance and help of a tax guy). Got back like R60k from spending about R200k on everything... even got audited and was up front and honest about all the costs and what they were for, and audit turned out ok...

At the time I was bugging the tax guy daily about if this or that is allowed (think he was getting pretty miffed with me) just trying to wrap my head around everything... perhaps I just got lucky though

Sorry for the over share...

signates

Expert Member
Improvements? Are you sure about this? The reason I ask is during last tax season we renovated a double garage into a flat which we started renting out. Pretty much loaded all the building costs onto the return (through the guidance and help of a tax guy). Got back like R60k from spending about R200k on everything... even got audited and was up front and honest about all the costs and what they were for, and audit turned out ok...

At the time I was bugging the tax guy daily about if this or that is allowed (think he was getting pretty miffed with me) just trying to wrap my head around everything... perhaps I just got lucky though

You got lucky.

Improvements are capital expenses and not tax deductible. They can re-assess your tax return again in the future if they think there was a mistake.

But those don't seem like improvements to me. Those were necessary building costs in order to covert your garage into a letable flat.

Improvements would be removing your current floors and putting in Marble floors. Unless of course having marble floors is part of the business.

I'm not an expert though. Just read y
Up on this before submitting.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Just submitted my tax return now via eFiling, went smoothly ... took all of 10 minutes, got my assessment immediately and was NOT selected for audit (so there's that theory out the window). I also have the '31 January 2019' date for payment of my refund, so I guess that's just a default until they end up assigning everybody to billing runs.

Good luck everybody :) Got R6 970 back, for medical aid for 2x people + a retirement fund. That'll do I guess.