SARS E-Filing 2018

mic_y

Expert Member
so after calling today I get told that I have an outstanding return from 2009. There is no IRP5 filed and I don't have any of the documents from that job as it was a temporary sorta thing that I never really kept track of. Either case the company no longer exists, and I doubt I will get an IRP5 or any other documentation from them so in to SARS with an affidavit we go.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
so after calling today I get told that I have an outstanding return from 2009. There is no IRP5 filed and I don't have any of the documents from that job as it was a temporary sorta thing that I never really kept track of. Either case the company no longer exists, and I doubt I will get an IRP5 or any other documentation from them so in to SARS with an affidavit we go.
No need. Do the affidavit at SAPS and upload with eFiling. That's what I did and they accepted it last year with no worries.

Koosvanwyk

I would file a correction on eFiling. Just log on and on your Work Page click under "Request Correction". Do the thing again but don't fill in the medical aid things.

Remember you can always only claim stuff you paid for. I hope they just "let it go" in your sake and you don't have to go in to a branch.
I assume SARS is doing a verification (that is how they picked on the Medical Aid). Once the correction is filed SARS will issue a letter stating that the verification failed followed by a new letter to submit supporting documents again (will most likely change from a verification to audit as well, but the letter will have the detail).

Apart from having to wait again, and potentially having to go through an audit now there should not be any sanction from SARS, BUT, if they feel that this was intentional they there might be penalties etc (but unlikely). Alos important here is now that the taxpayer knows that it cannot be claimed the prior year return will need to be corrected as well (if the same deduction was claimed previously)

lowellZA

No need. Do the affidavit at SAPS and upload with eFiling. That's what I did and they accepted it last year with no worries.
I have a simmilar issue for some years I was working (which are outstanding) and the SARS lady advised that I needed to hand in the affidavit manually.

[MENTION=228287]Toxxyc[/MENTION]:
1. Is there any specific wordin they require in the affidavit? (Basically I wasnt working duration the outstanding)
2. Where in efilling did you submit the affidavit?

Taariq404

Filled my Tax return on the 2nd of July, was selected for verification and uploaded docs on the same day. I received a receipt of documents on the 3rd of July. I have since received no further update.
I call for an update every second day - there never is any progress. I lodged a complaint with SARS complaints on the 3rd of August and then lodged a complaint with the Tax ombudsman on the 8th of August.

This is my current status:
tax status.png

I am unsure as to what to do at this point except wait.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Filed yesterday. Assessment issued 2 minutes later, R900 refund due

But holy fucck do i feel ill looking at what I paid those bastards over the year

Renai1

Filled my Tax return on the 2nd of July, was selected for verification and uploaded docs on the same day. I received a receipt of documents on the 3rd of July. I have since received no further update.
I call for an update every second day - there never is any progress. I lodged a complaint with SARS complaints on the 3rd of August and then lodged a complaint with the Tax ombudsman on the 8th of August.

This is my current status:
View attachment 543911

I am unsure as to what to do at this point except wait.

In the same boat as you my SARS e filing is sitting in the same que and my SOA still shows Y for verification and no completion letter received yet others have indicated that they have been paid without a completion letter being received also can I call they say no progress

Taariq404

In the same boat as you my SARS e filing is sitting in the same que and my SOA still shows Y for verification and no completion letter received yet others have indicated that they have been paid without a completion letter being received also can I call they say no progress
Have you escalated your case?

It's really annoying, they only seem to be on the ball when you owe them.

Renai1

Have you escalated your case?

It's really annoying, they only seem to be on the ball when you owe them.
not yet, not even sure its worth it, it seems when you complain you give them more days to sort out your query hope you get paid soon has your soa changed to a n yet for audit verification it looks like sars may be taking about 40 days in total to finalise returns that have been selected for audit

kyton

Expert Member
First time I have been audited for Medical expenses. Last Friday i got a ITA34 & ITSA that was adjusted. Account still in credit. Hoping the payout will be soon.

Renai1

Hi All

Has anyone who had still not been refunded since submitting on the 13th had any progress on their returns mine seems to be stuck on return received and ITSA still shows audit verification no further correspondence from Sars and it is now 20 working days.

Hi

Same here.
Submitted all the relevant info and documents on the 01/07/2018.
I phoned and escalated... still haven't received any update.

juan86

Hi All

Has anyone who had still not been refunded since submitting on the 13th had any progress on their returns mine seems to be stuck on return received and ITSA still shows audit verification no further correspondence from Sars and it is now 20 working days.
Sitting in the same boat, submitted the 13th and upto now, absolutely nothing.. seems like they have all the time in the world this year..

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I have a simmilar issue for some years I was working (which are outstanding) and the SARS lady advised that I needed to hand in the affidavit manually.

[MENTION=228287]Toxxyc[/MENTION]:
1. Is there any specific wordin they require in the affidavit? (Basically I wasnt working duration the outstanding)
2. Where in efilling did you submit the affidavit?
I just wrote a normal affidavit. "Company I worked for was liquidated, I got no IRP5 and can't get one now". Uploaded under Supporting Docs when I was asked for them (hit for verification).

Ecco

Executive Member
First time I have been audited for Medical expenses. Last Friday i got a ITA34 & ITSA that was adjusted. Account still in credit. Hoping the payout will be soon.
Same here. I got asked to provide not just cash receipts for payments made, but also the actual statement for which the cash receipt corresponds to.

Also I was told by SARS that only medicine prescribed by a medical practitioner can be claimed. If you bought medicine over the counter, then this cannot be claimed. I had surgery last year and in follow up appointments with my doctor he indicated I needed cataflam and some other painkillers. These could be bought without a prescription so he didn't provide one. I bought then over the counter, now i cannot claim for those. Same with cold and flu meds :(

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Same here. I got asked to provide not just cash receipts for payments made, but also the actual statement for which the cash receipt corresponds to.

Also I was told by SARS that only medicine prescribed by a medical practitioner can be claimed. If you bought medicine over the counter, then this cannot be claimed. I had surgery last year and in follow up appointments with my doctor he indicated I needed cataflam and some other painkillers. These could be bought without a prescription so he didn't provide one. I bought then over the counter, now i cannot claim for those. Same with cold and flu meds :(
Seems they are correct, you will probably have to insist on a script next time but I would file it anyway.
CLAIMING MEDICAL EXPENSES (ADDITIONAL MEDICAL EXPENSES TAX CREDIT)
What is it?
An Additional Medical Expenses Tax Credit (also known as an "AMTC") is a rebate which reduces the normal tax a person pays. This rebate is non-refundable and any portion that is not allowed in the current year can’t be carried over to the next year of assessment. It applies for years of assessment starting on or after 1 March 2014 (from the 2015 year of assessment) and is mostly calculated against qualifying "out of pocket" medical expenses paid for you and any dependant. It is a rebate given in addition to the medical scheme fees tax credit (MTC).
What qualifies as out-of-pocket medical expenses?
These are amounts paid and not recovered during the year of assessment in respect of you or any dependant, and include:
Services rendered and medicines supplied by any duly registered medical practitioner, dentist, optometrist, homeopath, naturopath, osteopath, herbalist, physiotherapist, chiropractor or orthopaedist;
Hospitalisation in a registered hospital or nursing home;
Home nursing by a registered nurse, midwife or nursing assistant, including services supplied by any nursing agency;
Medicines prescribed by any duly registered physician (as listed above) and acquired from any duly registered pharmacist;
Expenditure incurred and paid outside South Africa in respect of services rendered or medicines supplied which are substantially similar to the services and medicines listed above;
Any qualifying expenses prescribed by the Commissioner as a result of any physical impairment or disability.
Who is a dependant?
A dependant is:
A spouse
A child and the child of a spouse (e.g. son, daughter, step son, step daughter, legally adopted child)
Who was alive during any portion of the year of assessment, and who on the last day of the year of assessment:
Was unmarried and was not or would not, had he or she lived, have been:
Older than 18 years
Older than 21 years and was entirely or partly dependent for maintenance on the person and has not become liable to pay normal tax for the year
Older than 26 years and was entirely or partly dependent for maintenance on the person and has not become liable to pay normal tax for the year and was a full-time student at an educational institution of a public character; or
In the case of any other child, was incapacitated by a disability from maintaining himself or herself and was entirely or partly dependent for maintenance on the person and hasn’t become liable to pay normal tax for that year
Any other member of a person’s family for whom he or she is liable for family care and support (e.g. mother, father, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother, sister, grandparents, grandchildren.)
Any other person who is recognised as a dependant of that person in terms of the rules of a registered medical scheme or fund.

Ecco

Executive Member
Seems they are correct, you will probably have to insist on a script next time but I would file it anyway.
Yeah i know they are correct. Lesson learnt and a lesson for anybody who reads this. Always insist on a script from your doctors, even for stuff where a script is not required. Save your invoices and proof of payment by cash.

lowellZA

I just wrote a normal affidavit. "Company I worked for was liquidated, I got no IRP5 and can't get one now". Uploaded under Supporting Docs when I was asked for them (hit for verification).
:) Thank You!!!

You just saved me a trip to SARS. Really appreciated :):)