Semenya controversy continues

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.pretorianews.co.za/?fSectionId=3534&fArticleId=nw20100826141437307C365625&fFeed=sportnews

South Africa two-lap world champion, Caster Semenya, continues to stir controversy at the Diamond League series-ending event in Brussels, Belgium.

Semenya aims to bag her fourth successive win since making her comeback after a probe into her gender kept her off the track for 11 months.

However, Jemma Simpson of Great Britain, who lines up in Brussels, and Canadian Diane Cummins, who doesn't, have continued to question the teenager's eligibilty to run against women, with rumours abounding that an athlete protest is imminent.

The IAAF have refused to comment on what medical procedures were followed
before she was cleared, and her competitors are showing increasing frustration as the 19-year-old from Limpopo continues to obliterate the best female 800m runners in the world with consummate ease. - Sapa

Well, if she has maintained the same speeds and times even after undergoing this medical procedure... maybe her gender issues were never a factor in the first place? maybe she is just really that good!

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Yes , if she submitted to all the tests and has been cleared to compete, they should just shut the hell up.

LancelotSA

Banned
What are these women all bitching about? For years we have heard them claiming how they want to be treated as equal to men anyway... and now they are crying because someone may have elevated testosterone levels! Just goes to show, women are actually totally accepting of being inferior to men! :D

F

Fudzy

It's easy, shoot her in the leg and ask her to run again. If she sets the same time, start worrying.

zulgin

Expert Member
Jong as sy 'n man is dan is daar baie vrouens wat in die wimbledon Finaal gespeel het wie ek onder dieselfde kam sal skeer.

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
This is the best article that I've seen on this:
http://www.timeslive.co.za/opinion/...685.ece/Caster-critics-must-shut-up-and-train
But the moaning seems a little premature. Semenya's time in Berlin was 1min 59.90sec - not only is it more than four seconds slower than her 1:55.45 personal best, it ranks only as the 40th best time in the world so far this year.
Another critic of Semenya's participation is Briton Jemma Simpson, who ironically is one of the runners ranked above Semenya.

Simpson was fourth behind Semenya in Berlin in 2:00.57, but at the Diamond League meet in Monaco last month she clocked 1:58.74 - more than a second faster than Semenya's effort on Sunday.
In early 2008, a Kenyan teenager called Pamela Jelimo took the 800m race by storm, having switched from the 400m sprint, in which she had gone unnoticed.

Jelimo was suddenly untouchable over two laps, going unbeaten in 12 races. She claimed the $1-million jackpot in the Golden League series and won Olympic gold in a 1:54.01 personal best.

At that speed she would have made Semenya - even at the South African's fastest - look like a cart horse. Perhaps I've got a short memory, but I don't remember Jelimo being shunned by her rivals like Semenya has been.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Very, very nice! Exactly my sentiment! Stop trying so hard to remove the tough opposition and get your ass on the track and train harder instead!

You can't expect that much from a whinging pom. There's always someone out to get them when they lose.

davemc

Executive Member
I wonder just how much all this controversy is worth, ever second Semenya's name is in the news headlines, the value of athletics to sponsors must increase exponentially.