SharePoint 2013 Certification Advice

deliengs

Hi Members
I have been using SharePoint for a little while and would like to move towards achieving a certification.

1. Is the certification worth it?
2. Is there any free study materials that you could recommend, or any free resources that I can make use of?
3. Where do i start? Basically which exam would I write first?
4. Are there any prerequisite exams that are compulsory before being allowed to write the SharePoint exams?
5. Any other advice/study resources would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you kindly..:)

RickNRoller

Hi deliengs,
To answer your questions quickly:
1. Yes, any certification is worth it in my opinion. Especially if it's something you want to focus on as a career move.
2. The Technet site for SharePoint is a good start with loads of detailed information. I would however highly advise the CBT Nugget series for both SharePoint 2010 and 2013 which are not free but well worth it to get a good foundation and understanding of everything SharePoint.
3. I would start with the CBT Nuggets and playing around with a SharePoint installation. Personally I found that the years of experience with SharePoint was the most beneficial when I did the exams.
4. If you're doing the Microsoft Certification Exam then yes there are prerequisites. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-za/mcse-sharepoint-certification.aspx This is the non-developer certification but I'm not sure if you are looking more on the engineer or developer side. The link has 2x Office 365 exams as the prerequisites but there is an option to do the Server prerequisites instead. SharePoint involves a lot of other server infrastructure knowledge to put it all together so I would advise going the server prerequisite route over Office 365.
5. Check out the Microsoft Learning site...there should be plenty free courses and material to go through.

I hope that helps in some way.
Rick

deliengs

Hi deliengs,
To answer your questions quickly:
1. Yes, any certification is worth it in my opinion. Especially if it's something you want to focus on as a career move.
2. The Technet site for SharePoint is a good start with loads of detailed information. I would however highly advise the CBT Nugget series for both SharePoint 2010 and 2013 which are not free but well worth it to get a good foundation and understanding of everything SharePoint.
3. I would start with the CBT Nuggets and playing around with a SharePoint installation. Personally I found that the years of experience with SharePoint was the most beneficial when I did the exams.
4. If you're doing the Microsoft Certification Exam then yes there are prerequisites. https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-za/mcse-sharepoint-certification.aspx This is the non-developer certification but I'm not sure if you are looking more on the engineer or developer side. The link has 2x Office 365 exams as the prerequisites but there is an option to do the Server prerequisites instead. SharePoint involves a lot of other server infrastructure knowledge to put it all together so I would advise going the server prerequisite route over Office 365.
5. Check out the Microsoft Learning site...there should be plenty free courses and material to go through.

I hope that helps in some way.
Rick

Thank you so much @RickNRoller, this really helps me out. Gonna go through it and see what I can get done.:)