Single Connection Performance - Home Connect & Frogfoot

davinrover

Hi All,

I recently got Fibre, 15 October 2020, and couldn't be more excited until I started running some speed tests lol.
I decided to sign up with Home-Connect as they were the cheapest...and Frogfoot was the only available FNO in my area. I opted for the 200/200Mbps package they offer.

So let me jump straight into the question I got. Is it really okay for me to be getting 30Mbps download on a single connection? (Attached SpeedTest Screenshot). Meanwhile, my buddy with a 100Mbps connection via Home-Connect x Frogfoot easily peaks into the 90Mbps mark with his fibre.

Not to mention the almost 4Mbps I get to international (Attached SpeedTest Screenshot).

So far after days of back and forth, I've gotten "Most connections cannot achieve full speed from a single connection, or have very unstable speeds, and multiple connections allow us to "fill" the available bandwidth more easily. This is particularly true on faster lines. Additionally, many modern applications do not use a single thread when transferring data, so it helps us produce a "real world" result ".
I have also gotten "The core engineers have been testing, seems they not seeing the issue do you mind sending your friends speeds on home connect , that could potentially assist." I have since done this and awaiting their response.

Surely something is not quite right here correct?

Attachments

• single_local.PNG
    single_local.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 18
  • single_international.PNG
    single_international.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 18

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Good luck:

This is most likely due to packet loss.
1604071352242.png
You have 15ms ping at 30Mbps, which puts you at about 0.1% packet loss probably.

No, that's not good performance at all and not what you should expect on a fiber line.

Use:
For a constant trace route/ping.

davinrover

Thanks Johnatan56

I didn't realize that such a small amount of packet loss could create so much loss in bandwidth as per the article you attached.
I guess I should just wait for Home-Connect to come to this conclusion or somehow try to use something like this to further try and progress my issue to hopefully a resolution lol.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Hi All,

I recently got Fibre, 15 October 2020, and couldn't be more excited until I started running some speed tests lol.
I decided to sign up with Home-Connect as they were the cheapest...and Frogfoot was the only available FNO in my area. I opted for the 200/200Mbps package they offer.

So let me jump straight into the question I got. Is it really okay for me to be getting 30Mbps download on a single connection? (Attached SpeedTest Screenshot). Meanwhile, my buddy with a 100Mbps connection via Home-Connect x Frogfoot easily peaks into the 90Mbps mark with his fibre.

Not to mention the almost 4Mbps I get to international (Attached SpeedTest Screenshot).

So far after days of back and forth, I've gotten "Most connections cannot achieve full speed from a single connection, or have very unstable speeds, and multiple connections allow us to "fill" the available bandwidth more easily. This is particularly true on faster lines. Additionally, many modern applications do not use a single thread when transferring data, so it helps us produce a "real world" result ".
I have also gotten "The core engineers have been testing, seems they not seeing the issue do you mind sending your friends speeds on home connect , that could potentially assist." I have since done this and awaiting their response.

Surely something is not quite right here correct?

How are you connecting to the router?

davinrover

How are you connecting to the router?

My entire network fitted with Cat6, there is an unmanaged GB switch between the router and my pc.
I've gone as far as connecting to the ONT directly and in 1 instance was able to get 110Mbps down, but only that once. Other than that my single connection peaks at about 50Mbps on a good day, regardless if I go via my network, router or ONT.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
My entire network fitted with Cat6, there is an unmanaged GB switch between the router and my pc.
I've gone as far as connecting to the ONT directly and in 1 instance was able to get 110Mbps down, but only that once. Other than that my single connection peaks at about 50Mbps on a good day, regardless if I go via my network, router or ONT.

I assume you get the same results on multiple different devices?

davinrover

I assume you get the same results on multiple different devices?

Unfortunately so. So far my 2 devices have been my laptop and desktop.
For my sanity sake, I think I will do some more test directly to the ONT with some pre-made cables just to try and rule out my ability to make a decent network cable.

davinrover

So, I set up a quick iPerf3 server in the cloud so that I could test locally, and this one of the results:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Jitter Lost/Total Datagrams
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 11.8 MBytes 9.92 Mbits/sec 0.329 ms 4/1512 (0.26%)

I also made use of a public internationally based iPerf3 server and got this:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth Jitter Lost/Total Datagrams
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 11.9 MBytes 10.0 Mbits/sec 0.324 ms 2/1519 (0.13%)

So if I'm not mistaken the packet loss is real...