Frogfoot Port Elizabeth

joshsparkie

Just wanted to start a new thread for all issues, etc. as the other threads had specific issues as their thread titles.

Just a heads up for tonight too:

Leno

Expert Member
Had my fibre finally activated on Friday with Blitz/Frogfoot in Summerstrand

local pings were 40ms, now today its 50ms

I see there is emergency telkom maintenance but afaik they use DFA backhaul to PE

With that latency it seems they going via JHB to CT but we breakout in CT so everything is double

Have checked with other tenants in the building and they have the same problem on other ISP's

Reactions: Yuu

Leno

Expert Member
Internet went off for a few seconds and its down to 19ms, much better

joshsparkie

Had my fibre finally activated on Friday with Blitz/Frogfoot in Summerstrand

local pings were 40ms, now today its 50ms

I see there is emergency telkom maintenance but afaik they use DFA backhaul to PE

With that latency it seems they going via JHB to CT but we breakout in CT so everything is double

Have checked with other tenants in the building and they have the same problem on other ISP's
What IP are you testing to? I could also do a Pingplotter test to compare if you like

Leno

Expert Member
I think its because its a Blitz/Frogfoot hybrid setup

I am not sure if we are part of the larger PE FF network, I am sure it will be consolodated soon though after the takeover is finished.

Leno

Expert Member
Aaand back to 30ms :/

I think they must be doing some maintenance and routing us via DBN->JHB->CT while its happening instead of direct CT

DYreX146

Aaand back to 30ms :/

I think they must be doing some maintenance and routing us via DBN->JHB->CT while its happening instead of direct CT
There's no direct route from DBN to CPT or PE and PE routes through CPT before it goes anywhere else, so maybe it's going PE->CPT->JHB->CPT. If anything, I think it's just their backhaul from PE to CPT performing poorly.

Leno

Expert Member
I dont think its congestion (if thats what you meant) as the line goes dead for a few seconds each time it changes and the latency doesnt deviate by much (1ms at most)

Had smokeping running locally over the weekend (ignore the last jump, I connected to a vpn :/ )

DYreX146

Yeah I guess they are just having routing problems between PE and CPT, but I doubt they are routing to Durban as you mentioned because the latency would be much higher than that.

Leno

Expert Member
Opened a ticket about the latency and now im offline since 11

Guess I should have been happy with what I had

Leno

Expert Member
Just came back online, 24 hrs down, no explanation yet

Leno

Expert Member
The Blitz/Frogfoot story continues, we specifically asked and Blitz promised us that the fibre will not go down with load shedding when we signed the agreement for the building with them.

@Frogfoot Fibre its all very confusing who to actually speak to about this? (Summerstrand, PE)

Leno

Expert Member
After load shedding (which brings down Frogfoot in Summerstrand) my pings are around 12-13ms

Hope it lasts :)

thewusman

Expert Member
Dead in Fernglen this morning. Although all lights green. Direct PPPoE dial up from PC also connects but no activity. FFS.

joshsparkie

Looks like Walmer node just went dead a few minutes ago, anyone else having the same issue?

Edit: just called support and they said the whole of Walmer is down... must mean vandals broke the main link and the new redundant link...